The Final Star Wars Trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: The Final Star Wars Trailer

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:08 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:46 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am The whole metaphysical basis for the setting (EU or Legends) is that the same war grinds on and on for tens of thousands of years with permanent victory for either side impossible. Of course it's cyclical.
Except not. Until the Disney trilogy the Star Wars universe ended with Return of the Jedi aka peace. The war had every reason to be over.

The EU was never canon and thus irrelevant.
Well franchise is called Star WARS after all. Not Star PEACE. War needs to go on if story is to continue.
Star Trek Deep Space Nine had no Trek. The name really is not all that relevant now is it?

Besides that though, i'm fine with the ''War'' continuing. But they can do that without rewriting the Original Trilogy. Here's a novel idea... how about some original characters in an original plot instead of just endlessly recycling? I guess that would be hard work though.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, gotta bank on what is "safe" and "marketable." All about maximizing the bottom line. Gag.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:08 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:08 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:46 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am The whole metaphysical basis for the setting (EU or Legends) is that the same war grinds on and on for tens of thousands of years with permanent victory for either side impossible. Of course it's cyclical.
Except not. Until the Disney trilogy the Star Wars universe ended with Return of the Jedi aka peace. The war had every reason to be over.

The EU was never canon and thus irrelevant.
Well franchise is called Star WARS after all. Not Star PEACE. War needs to go on if story is to continue.
Star Trek Deep Space Nine had no Trek. The name really is not all that relevant now is it?

Besides that though, i'm fine with the ''War'' continuing. But they can do that without rewriting the Original Trilogy. Here's a novel idea... how about some original characters in an original plot instead of just endlessly recycling? I guess that would be hard work though.
Brand new characters that people hate because they only want to see they old favorites. They are kinds forced to use old characters and same plots because that's what audience wants. See how badly pretty much every brand new character in sequel trilogy have been taken and how much some people hate them to point of harassing people playing those characters in movies.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You mean the larger mindless audiences willing to turn off their brains, who don't hold movies to a higher standard.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Okay, seriously, though, everyone's just ignoring me? Even clearspira, who agrees with me? Fine then. Bleh.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's just another clear sign I'm not welcome here. Whatever.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 pm You mean the larger mindless audiences willing to turn off their brains, who don't hold movies to a higher standard.
That's not what I mean and you know it. Lot of people that hate those brand new characters tend to be either so called "anti-SJWs" that think that those characters are some how political or Legends fans that claim that they are true fans while everyone who disagrees with them are not. Then again i don't determine my own self value based on how I like science fantasy franchise to point of religion and wanting to force everyone else like it same way.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Tbf, I can see why it seems like there's a flood of anti-SJWs, and I don't think you should dismiss them because most people are centrists, not fanatics to either side of the fence. Look at how the out of touch business suits pander to leftist ideas without actually understanding liberal ideas. As a result, you get characters named Michael Burnman or Charlie Watson. And with how bland character is nowadays as a crutch for CGI, it can feel like excessively "pushing" LGBT theming onto a wider, and you have to admit, mostly heterosexual audience, that these women are gay or something. I do agree their knee-jerk reactions reveal their true feelings, and that's a false accusation when it's really about focusing on spectacle over substance, but I also insist there's legit criticism because it feels like a safe bet to "pander" to leftist, so-called, values in a world where most agree the GOP, a well-known conservative organization, is corrupt as fucking hell, but huge swathes of people don't wanna come forward to fight them.

As to this franchise, if the larger audience wants these Star Wars movies, and loves 'em, fine. But they should NOT call themselves science-fiction fans by any stretch of the imagination. Sci-fi is about preparing for the future, about depth and complexity and human themes and world-building. Not always brainless action, which is what Star Trek eventually became. No, they have no right to identify that way unless they have checked out other sci-fi material past these mega-budgeted films, and those that are not instantly guns, boobs, and explosions. Look at me. Finished Babylon 5 last year (except Season 5). Just started Stargate SG-1 and finished Season 1.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:37 pm No, they have no right to identify that way unless they have checked out other sci-fi material past these mega-budgeted films, and those that are not instantly guns, boobs, and explosions. Look at me. Finished Babylon 5 last year. Just started Stargate SG-1 and finished Season 1.
That's not up to you what people want to call themselves now isn't it. Besides what makes you think that everyone who likes SW sequels hasn't already checked other material. I mean I have been very open about that I like SW sequels but i also like B5, NuBSG and several others and while I don't want to assume anything I am pretty sure that I am not only one like that. But again you are trying to determine your self worth with what kind of fan you are and reflecting it to other people. That doesn't make you any better than typical online bully.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

No, it is absolutely true the action fanatics and tits crowd are NOT sci-fi fans if they haven't checked out other sci-fi material, not even books, that are not all explosions and boobs and mindless spectacle.

Wasn't attacking you. :roll: I was mainly thinking of the larger millions who consume these movies now. Of those, how many are actually sci-fi fans? I doubt very little. It is what clearspira keeps harping on, that being a nerd is as much an ostracized position as ever, despite blatantly transparent mainstreaming into pop culture to give people the illusion it is.

Call me a bully if you want. I don't like having to share this franchise with all those other people who love this franchise for the wrong reasons if it meant they had to burn the previous material to the ground. And look at it this way. Legends fans are the true nerds now. They keep dreaming to see Legends material adapted, like Winter here. God knows I DON'T know want that. But they do. Problem is they will NEVER get a TV show or movie dedicated to them, even as an adaptation like Harry Potter. Clone Wars was never a pure "hard Legends" adaptation, and neither is Rebels. Neither are the new movies. And how they handle the management leadership in dealing with two continuities is pitiful now. It's sheer, naked greed and rampant corporatizing. It's out of control.