The Final Star Wars Trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: The Final Star Wars Trailer

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm telling you, Winter, it's just not gonna happen. They'll keep throwing in pandering Legends easter eggs and getting them all wrong while insulting the very people they need to take money from, but it won't happen. Of course, individual content creators could, but... the copyright IP limits them.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:35 pm I'm telling you, Winter, it's just not gonna happen. They'll keep throwing in pandering Legends easter eggs and getting them all wrong while insulting the very people they need to take money from, but it won't happen. Of course, individual content creators could, but... the copyright IP limits them.
I've heard this argument before. Like, literally, I've more or less heard/read this exact same sentence. I've heard it with the New 52, Ghostbusters, Halloween, Terminator and so on. Sure, some series never really return to their original roots but 9 times out of 10 that's usually because the Original stories just weren't that interesting to begin with, (He-Man and Thunder Cats were fun but really wouldn't work that well today due to how dated they are) and the other 1% is due to the new continuity being just good as if not better then the original (2017's Ducktales being the best example I can think of).

But other series, like the DC Universe, always come back and 10 times out of 10, that's always due to the old stories still being great. Dawn of the Jedi, Knights of the Old Republic, The Thrawn Trilogy, the X-Wing Series and The Forced Unleashed are all still well loved and remembered today and will continue to be in another 30 years.

Legends adaptations are coming it's just a matter of time. I know everyone here thinks it won't but it will. How long before it returns is just a matter of how well Rise of Skywalker does. If it's like The Force Awakens it will likely be about 10 to 20 years or even 30 and if Rise does poorly it will be about 5 to 10 years.
AquaReggie
Officer

Post by AquaReggie »

Alright if we're now talking 30 years in the future, you can say ANYTHING will be brought back and have a reasonable chance of being right. That's hardly impressive. I will concede, though, that even a return directly to Legends (as opposed to some Legends content refined and updated for a new generation) in 5-10 years isn't out of the question.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

A few points to make with your argument.

One thing is that comics is as much of a niche of a niche today as ever. Mega-budgeted movies are where it's at to stuff more money into those greedy fat cats' pockets, and as Lucas had said, they have specific study groups where they "tailor" their films to what has "worked in the past," what they think audiences want (with our lowering expectations), and how well it will do overseas. Legends has no place in that. It's as niche of a nerd fandom as you can get. So comics is a bad example.

As for Terminator, um... yeah, it's a reboot, but I don't think it's going to be good, tbh. I've gone on about this before, they should just erase T2 and be done with it to tell the future war, but they can't do that, that's "popular!" So instead everything from T2 onward is gone. And that "Cameron is back!" does NOT impress me. While his films are "fun," I do think he has a bad habit to repeat his stories, and that a few gems aside, in today's era, it won't be as good as it used to be. I think it's going to be a reboot of some form. But it won't be exploring the future war because "that's risky!"

I know you're loyal to Legends, Winter. I am too. I love Legends. But really, you gotta face reality at some point. It just won't happen, even in the next few decades. I mean, maybe if Hollywood collapses, because then they'd compartmentalize, so that adaptations could be done by companies like Amazon. But I doubt Hollywood will be gone in the next 30 years, as much as I wish it would. Each new up and coming generation is getting dumber and just accepting the bullshit thrown at their faces on the screen. That a majority of older and classic actors have retired should tell you a lot.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:11 am Each new up and coming generation is getting dumber and just accepting the bullshit thrown at their faces on the screen.
Trust me kid, this Generation is just as dumb as the last.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

... I am 31...

And perhaps. But CGI has now become a crutch side by side along with the excessive corporatizing of the industry, the advent of streaming (that ties into their subconscious fear and desire to keep milking the cow until it's dry), and the deregulations Bush put into place. Plus very bad movies making money. How is that possible? Really? Things are getting worse than ever, at least for Hollywood movies.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Things are not getting worse in Hollywood. Again, this has happened before, I've heard the argument that CGI is, that creativity is dead and that there are more bad movies making money then good ones. And each time I see these in a few months or a year, things turn around. Always. Always. Always.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:11 am Each new up and coming generation is getting dumber and just accepting the bullshit thrown at their faces on the screen.
Heh, people have been saying variants of that forever. It was an ancient cliche when it was written in cuneiform.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

mathewgsmith wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:30 am
Heh, people have been saying variants of that forever. It was an ancient cliche when it was written in cuneiform.
Yup, the more things change.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

mathewgsmith wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:30 am
It's like we humans haven't actually changed that much during ages and have always had similar complains about things.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard