The 13th Doctor announced

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Robovski
Captain

Re: The 13th Doctor announced

Post by Robovski »

Yep. New showrunner, new direction, it can go badly. It's what I'm concerned with. She's a capable actress, but what will she be given to work with? Will we have more moon eggs? If so she's doomed. Hopefully we will see a return to good stories with a more grounded reality. But then I prefer science fiction to fantasy; maybe people love that damned moon-egg episode and the like but I feel that is going to be a "Spock's Brain" of an episode in future consideration, one best not repeated.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Robovski wrote:maybe people love that damned moon-egg episode and the like but I feel that is going to be a "Spock's Brain" of an episode in future consideration, one best not repeated.
Wow, way to insult "Spock's Brain"; at least that was so narmtastic it was a "so bad it's good" type episode. ;) "Kill the Moon" has no such redeeming features (the title qualifies, but that's all).

As for fantasy vs science fiction; I don't think this qualifies as even those that prefer fantasy to sci-fi probably dislike/hate the moon egg thing. Even Fantasy needs some grounding in reality/logic in it to be good, not just magic pixie dust makes everything work. For example, Star Wars falls more on the Fantasy side of the Speculative Fiction spectrum (even though it's set in space) and is (aside from a few wallbangers) good. In fact arguably it's the attempts to science it up a bit that fall flat/are bad (I'm looking at you midichlorians).
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

I have to agree.

Kill the Moon was stupid through and through from both a scientific and internal logical perspective. Creatures in eggs don't suddenly gain mass when they're hatching. Logically the entire setup was insane. Mexicans had mined the moon but only a space shuttle could get us there? The crew didn't know how to arm the warheads they delivered?

The entire ending of "Kill the moon" was painful though from a purely moral perspective.

It reminded me of a poorly written BioWare moral choice. Do you go Paragon and not kill the giant monster which has possibly been placed around the Earth so it has a snack to feast on when it hatches. Or Renegade and kill the thing preventing the risk to mankind.

The doctor then backs out and leaves Clara to make this choice on her own, rolling the die on the fate of mankind when she is not qualified at all to be making that decision. A decision that only works out because the script writer was on her side and comes off as the Doctor trying to avoid making the hard choice with inadequate information himself.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Robovski wrote:Yep. New showrunner, new direction, it can go badly. It's what I'm concerned with. She's a capable actress, but what will she be given to work with? Will we have more moon eggs? If so she's doomed. Hopefully we will see a return to good stories with a more grounded reality. But then I prefer science fiction to fantasy; maybe people love that damned moon-egg episode and the like but I feel that is going to be a "Spock's Brain" of an episode in future consideration, one best not repeated.
Honestly, unless they do something really blatantly awful, simply having someone new will likely be an improvement in and of itself. Especially since they'll likely want to take the show in a different direction, to differentiate themselves from their predecessors.

The same old Moffatism used over and over again have gotten very tired, when they weren't actively creepy or annoying to being with. You know, things like huge time skips (the Doctor's imprisonment in Heaven Sent being the most egregious, much as I loved the end of that episode), every major female character being an amoral fast-talker with a special destiny who flirts with the Doctor, the recurring theme of romanticizing death (and particularly suicide), the contrived tearjerkers which then get retconned into a sentimental wish-fulfilment happy ending so Moffat can have his cake and eat it too...

Just having a new style will help a lot, I think.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I have recently discovered that Peter Capaldi and Jodie Whittaker are/were payed the same for the role of the Doctor. Considering Jodie has been nominated for 5 awards and Peter WON at least 10, I can only come up with three explanations.
1. Peter Capaldi took a massive pay cut for whatever reason
2. BBC pays the Doctor the same amount only adjusting for inflation every so often (unlikely)
3. Jodie is a c*nt and demanded she be payed the same as Peter
Feminist politics may be involved in the last two
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Antiboyscout wrote:Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I have recently discovered that Peter Capaldi and Jodie Whittaker are/were payed the same for the role of the Doctor. Considering Jodie has been nominated for 5 awards and Peter WON at least 10, I can only come up with three explanations.
1. Peter Capaldi took a massive pay cut for whatever reason
2. BBC pays the Doctor the same amount only adjusting for inflation every so often (unlikely)
3. Jodie is a c*nt and demanded she be payed the same as Peter
Feminist politics may be involved in the last two
Yes, how dare those uppity women (or as you call them, c*nts) demand equal pay for the same work? :evil:

Well, obviously how many awards you've won is the sole metric to determine the value of ones' work- oh wait, it isn't. If Jodie Whittaker had won ten awards you'd doubtless just find another excuse, another difference, no matter how minor or arbitrary, to attack her for getting equal pay. When in truth, the only difference you really care about is the fact that she is a woman.

You disgust me.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

The Romulan Republic wrote:You disgust me.
such statements do not facilitate rational discourse
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Antiboyscout wrote:Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I have recently discovered that Peter Capaldi and Jodie Whittaker are/were payed the same for the role of the Doctor.
I know the first instinct is to raise the pay as the years go on, but it would be foolish for them to bankrupt themselves by raising the actor pay suddenly, with the show still in an uncertain state. At least The Doctor is treated roughly on par with the BBC's main presenters.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

My my, such assumptions.
It does help that Peter Capaldi is also more experienced and has more star power than Jodi Whittaker. This is a fundamental problem with the direction they are taking the new Doctor. With the need to De-age the character, come the need to hire a younger, there for, less experienced actor. If they had hired Judi Dench as the new Doctor I would expect her to earn MORE than Peter do to experience and star power.

... although, she may be a bit too recognizable to be the doctor
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Antiboyscout wrote:My my, such assumptions.
... although, she may be a bit too recognizable to be the doctor
I don't think Jodie Whittaker is so overexposed she can't be The Doctor. It's fair to say that most people on British TV haven't made a similar splash in North America. Except for Coronation Street. I have no clue why Canadians like that show so much.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K