The difference between TNG & STD

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: The difference between TNG & STD

Post by Yukaphile »

Giving writers "creative freedom," lol. There's benefits and downsides to that. But when you're working with a large franchise that is fandom-oriented, you need to have a certain level of audience respect and engagement with them, and to be held back. I've said this over and over. Hell, look at fucking DS9. Even if Tartikoff stole the B5 bible, it did its own thing. And I think those writers were wickedly intelligent. But there is also something to be said for Berman's contributions. Like how he would restrain them when needed. Reasonably so, I might add. You need a nice blend of teamwork, the same way you shouldn't be overtly serialized or overtly episodic. Not today. You need a balance.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:27 am In all honesty, online discussion surrounding Disco has been abused so badly it's more effort than it's worth to figure out whether any given review is good faith or not. Even for full-length episodes it's less of a headache to just watch the damned thing and decide for myself if it's any good.
That is so true. Besides of review that CharlesPhipps wrote to this message board I haven't seen any other balanced review for it. It's sad really that there is such hatred and venom over TV show, a work of fiction.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I can admit it probably has a few gems of good in Season 1. But then, so does Season 1 TNG. My dislike is purely personal, as we all know. But it is also true when I say I NEVER watch TNG Season 1. Ever. No matter what rewatch it is, I'd be more willing to give Season 2 episodes a fair shake, and have, and watch those more than even a single episode from Season 1.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I think the writing was off. I can't imagine Kirk losing a man and explaining to the board of inquiry, "He was an idiot." Or Picard. Or Sisko. Or Archer or Janeway. I think it would be a misfire even for Mercer.

Trek sometimes misfires when it comes to humor. Star Trek V, for examples. I think they're trying to lighten up STD somewhat, and this may have been an experiment in that direction.

To judge the show for myself, outside of the one episode they released on YouTube, I'd have to pay for it, and this short doesn't push me in that direction.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

HOLY SHIT. I mean... OMG... he really said that? :shock:

Ditto on the "I am inclined toward checking it out, but not if I have to pay money to those in charge" thinking.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

The captain in the short (a she, AFAIK) said "he was an idiot" to explain losing a man. None of the other characters I mentioned said that, or even remotely like that, when losing a member of their crew.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh I thought it was Kirk they did this to. Could that maybe have almost been a direct riff on how Janeway is seen among certain segments of the fandom? (The avatar to which is SF Debris's parody Janeway.)
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I think it's fair to say that they tweaked the writing to fit the tone of the episode. In a more serious episode, they would have had her explain how Edward's actions did him in, but a punchy "He was an idiot" just worked better. And to be fair, he literally stopped in his tracks and refused to board the escape pod. That's idiot behaviour if I've ever heard of it.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Kind of looked to me like she was completely unfair to him, and was generally the opposite of how a good leader is supposed to be. I'd honestly have to make comparisons to Archer there.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Admiral X wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:09 pm Kind of looked to me like she was completely unfair to him, and was generally the opposite of how a good leader is supposed to be. I'd honestly have to make comparisons to Archer there.
It goes beyond simple unprofessionalism. She acts like a stereotypical popular teenage girl and nothing like even a simple adult would be interacting with someone else.

It's infantile and not something in keeping with the spirit of Trek, which regardless of how they acted, even Janeway and Archer tried to measure up to even if their personalities leaked through.