The Final Star Wars Trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: The Final Star Wars Trailer

Post by Yukaphile »

Shit! As much as I take issue with him, George is 100% right to say the future of Star Wars is streaming. But, you know what? Only affiliates of Disney will be allowed to make them. Not even other big corporations that might want to compete with them by giving us the Legends adaptations, since there's a market for it those greedy fat cats are ignoring. Lots of book fandoms see it as like the Harry Potter series. You don't think you could make money off that? And Disney's Lucasfilm is sure as hell never making Legends adaptations. The last three major launches have stolen from Legends without actually giving Legends fans anything within that world past one comic in five years merely as pandering to slow down the hate. And any time they do, trust me, they will be held back because there's a narrow appeal to the way they have to market it, to what is "popular" and "sells." That's why KOTOR is gonna be what's adapted to the butchered new canon next, and why any future major Legends projects will be from that world, just to beat the dead horse, over and over and over, till you've stopped beating a dead horse and are then molesting that dead horse, as Chuck says. Seriously, why should I love new canon when they've basically bastardized the KOTOR games and, as seems inevitable, the Thrawn trilogy into new canon? I want small-time independent artists who love this franchise, who are not into all the shit you think they are and have such a low opinion of, to be able to say what this story means to them, and give to other fans, and to ALSO compete with the big-time companies. If they could, I think we'd tear them down. That is also another form of quality control.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You claim "IP copyright, in all its sacred glory, holds back the shit," but I could make THAT SAME DAMNED ARGUMENT IN REVERSE! That IP copyright holds back creativity, especially in a massively corporatized environment where maximizing the bottom line in the short term is their new religion orbiting the almighty dollar.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yes, it should be plain you've DEEPLY wounded me from all you've said with your HOLIER-THAN-THOU AND POMPOUSLY JUDGMENTAL ATTITUDES in sneering "GET A LIFE!" while ignoring there can be economic benefits to public domain. Really? How the hell does that work?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

In your own ways, you have as little faith in other people as I do. I think the mindless masses going to see these movies have low standards. You think people being able to make a return on their investment for independent passion projects means most of it would be shit. How do you not see the double standard? I also tend to think, in my own way, that there's hope deep down. The people going to see these movies know they're shit, vast majority of them. But they don't see any way out of the darkness, so they don't care about holding it to a higher standard. And also a majority are into streaming, so if there was any good Star Wars content from independent artists (who are NOT held under a leash by Disney or Lucasfilm), they'd instantly pick it up.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hell, lemme ask you this. If not public domain, why won't Lucasfilm put some of Star Wars content into Creative Commons? Let fans tell the Legends adaptations they want, for God's sake! Winter here is clearly starving for it, as are many others. But, that just can't happen because they want to selfishly CLING to every little goddamned penny they make! And they probably have planes to retell KOTOR not only in Legends, but new canon too! It's just... UGH! It's shameless!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What I care about most is seeing post-Endor Legends be validated, especially with how much sheer bloody mindless HATE it seems to get nowadays, by people on this very forum, it seems... that tells me it is flat-out never coming back, in any shape or form. They'll just steal the "most popular" elements, and then abandon the rest while fans embrace the same old, same old... but imagine if there was no copyright IP? Or if they gave Creative Commons to the post-Endor Legends period? Then you could perhaps finally commission somebody to tell those stories the way Star Wars began, in a visual format. But it is not going to happen! People hate it so much, you gotta pay them to make it!
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Is each post replying to somebody specific, or is it just kind of a series of "and another thing"? It's getting difficult to tell; maybe quote a bit when you reply, if they're replies.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:46 am Is each post replying to somebody specific, or is it just kind of a series of "and another thing"? It's getting difficult to tell; maybe quote a bit when you reply, if they're replies.
He's one step ahead and answering every possible query you might have regarding the subject.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Kinda. Sorta. Maybe.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tgrS5_Zm4