VOY - Alice

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: VOY - Alice

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:02 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:40 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:01 pm *Ahem*

The first Borg Picard guns down took a couple of shots. The second Borg Picard guns down took a whole magazine. They were already adapting and they were doing so consistent with how they adapt to phaser and phase pistol fire. Its there on-screen I don't know why people cannot see it.
Considering we don't see clear impact sequencing of the borb being hit, it's not very apparent that they're adapting. It's more likely the case that Picard is just a bit trigger happy and not adept at firing an SMG.
Admittedly yes the the lack of SFX is a problem in that scene. If I was to asspull an explanation maybe they have something similar to the NX-01 armour polarization ability where their plating starts to molecularly change in some way. After all, realistically even a drone wouldn't want to be lugging around something akin to the resilience of tank armour all day due to weight issues and the obvious fact that most people they attack will be using energy weapons (because they are only interested in assimilating those of equal or superior technology rather than being merely a plague of locusts trying to assimilate everyone) and thus possessing so much armour is inefficient.
It's good that you're able to admit when you've made a mistake. While it might be embarrassing at the moment, development of humility over time will teach you ways to cope with not always being right.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:55 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:02 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:40 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:01 pm *Ahem*

The first Borg Picard guns down took a couple of shots. The second Borg Picard guns down took a whole magazine. They were already adapting and they were doing so consistent with how they adapt to phaser and phase pistol fire. Its there on-screen I don't know why people cannot see it.
Considering we don't see clear impact sequencing of the borb being hit, it's not very apparent that they're adapting. It's more likely the case that Picard is just a bit trigger happy and not adept at firing an SMG.
Admittedly yes the the lack of SFX is a problem in that scene. If I was to asspull an explanation maybe they have something similar to the NX-01 armour polarization ability where their plating starts to molecularly change in some way. After all, realistically even a drone wouldn't want to be lugging around something akin to the resilience of tank armour all day due to weight issues and the obvious fact that most people they attack will be using energy weapons (because they are only interested in assimilating those of equal or superior technology rather than being merely a plague of locusts trying to assimilate everyone) and thus possessing so much armour is inefficient.
It's good that you're able to admit when you've made a mistake. While it might be embarrassing at the moment, development of humility over time will teach you ways to cope with not always being right.
When did I say I made a mistake? I said the special effects are lacking and then I gave a headcanon reason why that could be. There is in fact no reason why the Borg shields have to produce the same effects for bullets as they do for energy weapons.

The Borg can adapt to bullets and we see that on screen. Now repeat that back to me just so I know you understand.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

They're not real bullets though
Kendrakirai
Officer

Post by Kendrakirai »

J!! wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:31 am They're not real bullets though
The holodeck replicates things that it’s expected that the user is going to interact with extensively rather than just using forcefields and such, but you’re actually probably right in this case, even with the safeties turned off. Though it is very possible that Picard ordered the gun and bullets replicated when he turned the safeties off.

Incidentally, if I recall, the tommygun was infamous for being hideously inaccurate, even on top of the inaccuracy inherent in firing a gun full auto with all that recoil, so it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest that Picard was just plain *missing* 3/4 of his shots after the initial burst.
Grievous
Redshirt

Post by Grievous »

*Looks around for a Moment*

So...how is everyone?

Anyway...I'm new around here...but I thought I'd (try to) put my
best forward and give my thoughts on this episode of Voyager.

Now for the record I have watched the episode & Chuck's review but I
have not read the thread itself as I wish to give my own perspective
on the subject without too much "outside influence"

Also...before I start...I do not claim to be an expert...or even that
intelligent so if my opinions seem a little "lowbrow" or "jocular" well...
that is just who I am.

So...with that introduction out of the way...here are my (random) thoughts on...

Voyager Episode 125 ~ Alice (AKA: Christine In Space)
~ Does it really matter how old Tuvok is? He's still boring as hell...
~ I really like the idea of a "Junk Dealer in Space" although it seems wasted here...
~ If Abaddon had been through a similar "process" as Tom...then why was "Alice"
in such poor condition when Tom acquired "her" ?
~ Couldn't Tom have stripped one of the Voyager shuttles for parts? He doesn't
even list that an option to Chakotay.
~ I find it weird that Tom could slip so far, so fast on Voyager with both a loving
partner & a dedicated best friend...
~ The "relationship" between Tom & Alice reminds of the film Lifeforce &
the "interactions" between Tom Carlsen & the Space Girl...
~ Although the actress playing Alice kept her clothes on...sadly.
~ Speaking of said actress (Claire Rankin) she does have a lovely, lovely voice...
~ I always through Torres looked better with "curly" hair...
~ A "Neurogenic interface" seems strange for a "vehicle" such as Alice...I mean
I'd understand using it while piloting a giant mech (Pacific Rim) or even a
smaller mech suit...but a small shuttle? Seems over complicated to me.
~ While Seven of Nine was (possibly) the focus of too many Voyager episodes...
an idea jumped into my brain while watching this episode. This could have easily
be turned into a "Harry" episode with a couple of re-writes with the finale being
Seven trying to save Harry by engaging Alice in battle in some kind "digital/mental"
realm...with Seven's "avatar" being a combination of her Borg & human appearances...
like a halfway point between the two.

Final Thoughts:
It was okay...I mean I've seen worse episodes of Star Trek.

+++

So how was that?

Did I do okay?

Anyway...thanks for taking the time to look this over...
and I guess I'll be seeing you all around the traps.
Anyway back to the Cheese...