The Brexit Election

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: The Brexit Election

Post by clearspira »

LittleRaven wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:43 pm I am at a loss. Why the heck hasn't the EU been like "Ok, seriously guys...this is ridiculous. We don't even WANT you in our club any more. Just....just go."
Money.

There are 28 countries in the EU - and yet 70% of its money comes from only five countries: Germany, France, Italy, the UK and Spain. To point out the obvious, that means that the other 30% comes from the other 23 countries.

Fact is that you can lose pretty much any of those other 23 countries and not miss them. They are basically dead weight. The same cannot be said of the UK or the other 4.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:23 pm 12th of December - its on.

The way I see it:

If you want Brexit with a deal: Tory
If you want Brexit without a deal: Brexit Party
If you want a referendum: Labour
If you want to Remain: Liberal Democrats
If you want independence for Scotland: SNP
If you want to waste your vote: Green/UKIP

There will be other issues that they will TRY and discuss, but lets be honest: there is only one issue of the day that will dominate.

My prediction is hung parliament between the two main parties, but the real winners in their own way will be Brexit Party, Lib Dems and SNP who stand a good chance of cleaning up in the marginal seats.
Sign me up for the Literal Democrats.
..What mirror universe?
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

The entire mess was caused by a difference between election results when tallied first past the post by constituency, versus a 50%+1 count of the whole nation. If another round of FPTP manages to actually solve something, that will be a shock.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:29 am

The way I see it:

There will be other issues that they will TRY and discuss, but lets be honest: there is only one issue of the day that will dominate.

My prediction is hung parliament between the two main parties, but the real winners in their own way will be Brexit Party, Lib Dems and SNP who stand a good chance of cleaning up in the marginal seats.
Because as an American you would have nothing in your history to point to why someone wouldn't want to be part of an empire :roll:
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:40 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:29 am

The way I see it:

Because as an American you would have nothing in your history to point to why someone wouldn't want to be part of an empire :roll:
No, he meant the Literal Democrats. Look it up:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/letter-of-the-law-backs-literal-democrat-1439807.html
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

americans know very little about not being parts of empires.

We know a little bit about the merits of geographically diverse,nominally-independent states banding together to craft a system of shared trade, free travel, and consistency of law though. Heck, most of our problems arise from not being better at that last one.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Why would anyone want to be PM now? The problem seems nigh-intractable. The last proposed deal seemed to give the UK the downsides of EU membership without the upsides, and if that was presented to Parliament then I'd guess that the UK has little bargaining power. Am I wrong? Or is this part of that stiff upper lip thing?

Or can they draft someone and tell him, "Congratulations, you're the new PM. The revolver with a single bullet arrives in a few days as a standard part of the package."
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

"The last proposed deal" is May's Deal in all but name. I can't find words which accurately describe how much of a farce BrExit has become at this point in time and while I love rethinking a joke and laughing about it again and again, it stops being funny at some point. I'll still laugh though, for old time's sake.

As for options ahead. It's the same options that have always been there. Leave with no deal, which noone really wants; leave with a deal, which means May's Deal or bust; or do not leave at all, which despite all the cries of betray and Remoaners and bla, is the most logical choice. Parliament has voted on what they want and that is a Deal BrExit, but not May's Deal and yet here we are, parliament being presented with May's Deal in all but name or bust. The bluff has been called, No Deal won't happen without a major shift in parliament's membership. A sensible PM would name the child by it's name and call off this neverending idiocy.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:43 pm Am I wrong?
Not as far as I can tell. May's "deal" is hot garbage but it's the only one they'll get. Leaving will be painful, staying will piss people off.

It seems to me that the only thing to do is to call another referendum, and this time make it clear: "Look, this is not a joke, this is not a political maneuver. There isn't going to be any magical deal - this is a choice between going and staying. If leave wins the vote, we LEAVE. No deal - we're simply out. If remain wins, we stick around. For the love of God, vote carefully."

I have absolutely no idea who would win that vote, but I think it has to be held.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

No deal Brexit won't be that good for UK so having some deal even when it's bad like May's deal is still over all better than nothing. I guess people who voted Brexit thought that this would be easy thing to do while voting it based on empty promises.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard