The Planned Star Wars Trilogy is Dead

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

The Planned Star Wars Trilogy is Dead

Post by clearspira »

Its official: Game of Thrones duo David Benioff and DB Weiss have pulled out of the follow up trilogy. And with Rian Johnson's trilogy long since dead thanks to him being Rian Johnson (come on guys, no news for this long in the entertainment industry means that nothing is happening) and combine that with its falling merchandise sales, its last few videogames being unsuccessful, the fallout from cancelling the EU - and we can now see the damage that has been wrought.

Go woke, go broke. All they needed to do with the end of ''The Skywalker Trilogy'' was give us the original cast in an original plot that doesn't suck. That is not what happened.
TGLS
Captain

Re: The Planned Star Wars Trilogy is Dead

Post by TGLS »

Well here's some news from last month, where Johnson states that he may do another film between Knives Out and his trilogy:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2480387/rian-johnson-explains-the-timing-of-his-star-wars-trilogy

Here's news that Kevin Feige is working on a Star Wars film:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-s-kevin-feige-developing-star-wars-movie-disney-1243481
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Ah, another click bait title from clearspira. So no, that SW Trilogy isn't dead like he claims. Like it or not it's going to happen.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Not strictly true. The Benioff/Weiss trilogy actually is canned!

And thank fuck, because they were the LAST thing Star Wars needed in every single regard, both on principle since they’re abject hacks that completely showed their ass once GRRM/the casting department couldn’t hide their mediocrity and because “GoT but Star Wars” is an inherently back asswards plan to start with.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:51 pm Ah, another click bait title from clearspira. So no, that SW Trilogy isn't dead like he claims. Like it or not it's going to happen.
The trilogy I was referring to is. So like it or not it's dead. :roll:
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Maybe they can get Quentin Tarantino to do one.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, Lord knows I want this franchise to fail so it either falls into the public domain, or they lessen their iron grip so that Creative Commons can be given to post-Endor Legends stories, but... no, Johnson is still on track to make the Obi-Wan trilogy, it seems. They are literally banking all-out on Ewan McGregor's star power, it seems, and the power he has over the audience in terms of being an accurate young Obi-Wan. And hey, if they rip off Legends, it's going to be a success since a lot of those stories set in the post-Episode III prequel era were great. So it seems the inevitable dying breath of Hollywood may be postponed longer than you think, clearspira.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

CmdrKing wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:02 pm Not strictly true. The Benioff/Weiss trilogy actually is canned!

And thank fuck, because they were the LAST thing Star Wars needed in every single regard, both on principle since they’re abject hacks that completely showed their ass once GRRM/the casting department couldn’t hide their mediocrity and because “GoT but Star Wars” is an inherently back asswards plan to start with.
Yeah. I don't see Star Wars take on Game of Thrones being able to work. I mean SW and GoT are that different in tone and themes as it can get. Only thing same that those two have is having same actress playing roles in both.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I'd call them hack frauds but that's too good for them and it's reserved for RLM.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Beyond that, a key reason that Game of Thrones works is that each faction is inherently selfish and willing to solve their problems with rivers of blood if push comes to shove, but also willing to make unlikely alliances and all that.

But that kind of large-scale backstabbing and politicking doesn't WORK in the setting: the Republic is too big, the Jedi's defining feature is their inflexibility, and to a high degree the sort of willingness to murder and other nastiness from even the "paragon" faction is metaphysically impossible due to how the Force works.

Put another way, we... already had the closest analogue that's likely possible within the setting to Game of Thrones: the Prequel Trilogy.

I mean you could nominally have something set WAY back in the Founding of the Republic, or something well into the future, but even if you go to a time before the Republic, or a time when the Galaxy has fractured, the nature of the Force and its morality is still there.