The Planned Star Wars Trilogy is Dead

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: The Planned Star Wars Trilogy is Dead

Post by hammerofglass »

I think it's wrong to assume they would try to do GOT style politicking. It's really obvious that they HATED that aspect of the series. As soon as they ran out of stuff to adapt directly they dropped it like a hot potato in favor of simplistic Good Guys and Bad Guys, then killed off or completely changed the character of everyone who was morally grey.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:34 pm I mean, Lord knows I want this franchise to fail so it either falls into the public domain, or they lessen their iron grip so that Creative Commons can be given to post-Endor Legends stories, but... no, Johnson is still on track to make the Obi-Wan trilogy, it seems. They are literally banking all-out on Ewan McGregor's star power, it seems, and the power he has over the audience in terms of being an accurate young Obi-Wan. And hey, if they rip off Legends, it's going to be a success since a lot of those stories set in the post-Episode III prequel era were great. So it seems the inevitable dying breath of Hollywood may be postponed longer than you think, clearspira.
That's not remotely how copyrights and trademarks work. If the franchise fails they take their toys and go home so nobody else can play with them, then re-release everything ten years later. It's Disney, they have a whole charming marketing gimmick based around it.

It seems like what they're really banking on is The Mandalorian. They have a lot bigger names attached to it from directors to stars than they do the movies, and it's being pushed heavily as the Disney+ "killer app" launch title (or whatever the streaming equivalent is called).
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yet more proof they will never adapt Legends, and that in some ways is a relief. I'd prefer Legends stays an era than be butchered into some form of new "era-continuity" under Disney (even if Lucasfilm does it).
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

For a moment, when I saw the name Kevin Feige I thought he was the same director that did Ghostbusters 2016.

Anyway, good thing the Got duo rushed the last two seasons so they could do Star Wars now...
I got nothing to say here.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:43 pm I think it's wrong to assume they would try to do GOT style politicking. It's really obvious that they HATED that aspect of the series. As soon as they ran out of stuff to adapt directly they dropped it like a hot potato in favor of simplistic Good Guys and Bad Guys, then killed off or completely changed the character of everyone who was morally grey.
I agree with this.

Just because the only job they have ever had is running Game of Thrones, does not mean everything they ever do will be done in that plotting/style/tone.
I mean, look at someone like JMS, who has written "Babylon 5" and also wrote the Clint Eastwood movie "Changeling".
The idea that they won't be able to do something other than what they have already done is strange.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:11 am
mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:43 pm I think it's wrong to assume they would try to do GOT style politicking. It's really obvious that they HATED that aspect of the series. As soon as they ran out of stuff to adapt directly they dropped it like a hot potato in favor of simplistic Good Guys and Bad Guys, then killed off or completely changed the character of everyone who was morally grey.
I agree with this.

Just because the only job they have ever had is running Game of Thrones, does not mean everything they ever do will be done in that plotting/style/tone.
I mean, look at someone like JMS, who has written "Babylon 5" and also wrote the Clint Eastwood movie "Changeling".
The idea that they won't be able to do something other than what they have already done is strange.
There is certainly an argument for that.

Rumor has it that HBO had no problem funding extra episodes, money or will. Game of Thrones was making them alot of money. If this is true, then it wasnt HBO who shortened the last two seasons.

I mean let's be honest, the series probably needed those 7 episodes to help draw out and fully bring out the ending that we got. With the exception of Bran. That's just stupid.

JMS made some brilliant stuff outside of B5 anyway.
I got nothing to say here.
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

David Benioff and Dan Weiss mishandled the greatest American fantasy series in existence, they are up-jumped rich kids, the very definition of failing upwards, and canning them (there's no way they were too "busy" for the opportunity of a lifetime) is the smartest thing Lucasfilm has done since their proverbial deal with the devil.
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

I think what happened between the GOT guys and Disney couldn't be more plain. There's no F*cking way Netflix would be paying them anything near the same league as those Disney checks. But as we've seen with Mark Hamil having to shut up and toe a line since he's under contract, the pair probably looked at the heinous stipulations and nuthouse shenanigans at Disney and decided they didn't want their names associated with that.

For the past two years Star Wars's management under Disney has been one humiliating clusterf*ck after another. They truly have NO idea what they are doing, and this is just the latest humiliation. If I was Disney, I'd ring up Katie Lucas (Georges Daughter who helped him run the business during the Clone Wars era and wrote several scripts) and offer her a phone book of blank checks and a contract stating she doesn't have to deal with the media, just for the love of god help them stop hurting themselves by getting it so wrong time after time.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I've heard Rogue One was a pretty good movie. Then comes Solo where they changed directors after a lot of filming had completed, a trilogy where they apparently didn't have a coherent storyline...

I don't know if KK is screwing up repeatedly or if Disney is interfering, but maybe they should concentrate on solo films (no pun intended) and move to trilogies when they're up to it.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's clear they really wanted to focus on movies that would draw in billions of dollars, and to that end, they threw out the old EU and burned bridges among that small but dedicated fanbase, then burned even bigger bridges among their core demographics with Last Jedi. It's amazing to see how badly they are screwing up. Makes you almost wish for George back.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords