The Guyver Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ran76
Redshirt

Re: The Guyver Review

Post by ran76 »

Kendrakirai wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:20 pm *Terrible rhetoric aside*, I hope somebody asks Chuck to review the first couple episodes of the Guyver anime, just to give him some context.
Are we talking the classic OVA series or the so-so tv series?
Kendrakirai
Officer

Post by Kendrakirai »

ran76 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:20 am
Kendrakirai wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:20 pm *Terrible rhetoric aside*, I hope somebody asks Chuck to review the first couple episodes of the Guyver anime, just to give him some context.
Are we talking the classic OVA series or the so-so tv series?
Either is good, really, though the OAV is much more condensed and would give him more context per episode.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

There was a 26 episode series put out in 2005-2006. Follows the Manga much better than the OVA. Also improves it a bit from the Manga, like retaining Guyver 2 longer for example. It also had far better dubbing than the OVA.

There used to be a few sites out there that did have the background information on the first movie. From what I remember it was made on a 20 million dollar budget and had basically two directors. One of them was responsible for cheesy comedy and the other did the more serious aspects of it. The more serious director did the 2nd movie on a 2 million dollar budget in fact.

I remember seeing this movie on the top ten lists of worse movies of all times for awhile.
I got nothing to say here.
HorridJam
Redshirt

Post by HorridJam »

The Guyver Anime released in the US by Magna Video was my first introduction to Japanese Anime. I loved it .. the newer series is better. I so wanted to see a live-action it version of and was excited when I saw this on the video rental shelf. God what a disappointment on everything except the effects, though I was not happy with some of the Zoanoid designs. Guyver is an idea that deserves a big-budget movie adaptation that is hard R ala Deadpool and follows relatively close to the storyline of the manga or anime. And while I am whishing.. when can we get a big-budget adaptation of Robotech?
Kendrakirai
Officer

Post by Kendrakirai »

HorridJam wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:42 am The Guyver Anime released in the US by Magna Video was my first introduction to Japanese Anime. I loved it .. the newer series is better. I so wanted to see a live-action it version of and was excited when I saw this on the video rental shelf. God what a disappointment on everything except the effects, though I was not happy with some of the Zoanoid designs. Guyver is an idea that deserves a big-budget movie adaptation that is hard R ala Deadpool and follows relatively close to the storyline of the manga or anime. And while I am whishing.. when can we get a big-budget adaptation of Robotech?
When Harmony Gold stops being a realty company that’s just sitting on a license they’re doing nothing with but sublicensing to others while deliberately blocking the domestic release of the new series’ belonging to one of the franchises that makes up Robotech.
aceina
Officer

Post by aceina »

i think chuck was abit to harsh on this one he even called the guyver costume bad i thought it was rather good it looked nice and insectoid i think he was under the impression it was trying to be metallic rather than organic
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Kendrakirai wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:11 am When Harmony Gold stops being a realty company that’s just sitting on a license they’re doing nothing with but sublicensing to others while deliberately blocking the domestic release of the new series’ belonging to one of the franchises that makes up Robotech.
This. 100% this. I can't stand Harmony Gold and they practices.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
SMAXZO
Redshirt

Post by SMAXZO »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:54 pm
Kendrakirai wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:11 am When Harmony Gold stops being a realty company that’s just sitting on a license they’re doing nothing with but sublicensing to others while deliberately blocking the domestic release of the new series’ belonging to one of the franchises that makes up Robotech.
This. 100% this. I can't stand Harmony Gold and they practices.
Tell me about it. Grabbed Macross and sat on it for years doing fuck all and suing any owner of Battletech or anyone even using the Valkryie. And of course, Tatsunoko just let HG keep it.
SMAXZO
Redshirt

Post by SMAXZO »

Damn shame what they did to Guyver. For a series that's basically a darker take and outright deconstruction of Kamen Rider (Chronos is basically a more competent Shocker that they have agents and sleepers almost everywhere..and that's why in the manga, Chronos actually managed to conquer Earth pretty damn quick even with their Japanese HQ taken out), they seem to missed the damn point in the making of the movie. Only saving grace was Guyver 2: Solid Snake.
SMAXZO
Redshirt

Post by SMAXZO »

Alright, this is me being picky...but..why did they changed the Zoalord's name from Hamilcar Barcas to Fulton Balcus? I mean, Hamilton Burgess is a closer name, no?