Terminator: Dark Fate: Almost Great (Spoilers)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Terminator: Dark Fate: Almost Great (Spoilers)

Post by Yukaphile »

T2 is still as shallow as hell, period! The fact you don't seem to grasp where I'm coming from is astonishing, and just sad. Also success is no mark of intelligence. Seems for most audiences all you need is just a little, tiny bit of depth, and certain guidelines to follow, and they'll eat it up. That's what we're seeing now and why people still go to see very inferior movies. They've learned the trick after a while.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Let's just lay it all out. I could understand why some love T2 to death, I really do. Love it in some ways more than the first? That I just can't understand if they claim to be intellectuals, though if they're casual moviegoers, that makes sense. But do YOU understand where I'm coming from? No, really, I've debated this issue endlessly, and no one seems to wanna try to see my thinking here! T2 set the direction the franchise would go, and it wasn't intelligent in its own right. If you're gonna cite Chuck insisting you shouldn't buy the supplementary material to enjoy a movie, the same holds true here. It should be a self-contained story and the time travel retcon is never fleshed out. It would require very little reworking. And yet Cameron does not. It really feels like extended T1 deleted scenes.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Whether you think T2 is intelligent or not, irrelevant. Dark Fate shit all over T2's ending. Now if they did something with it like making something new then it would be different.

No we got Skynet with a different name and John Conner but female. Oh and the Terminator is basically a housedad. I mean it would be interesting in how they can handle a Terminator who finishes their mission but it seemed to be weird that there wasn't a basic protocol in place once that's done. Like I don't know, destroy itself so it can't be used against Skynet in the future. Or shutdown itself in some bunker in the middle of a desert.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

How is T1 prolifically deep by comparison?
..What mirror universe?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

T2 was far deeper and had a lot more to say than he's giving it credit for, but he has one hell of a hate boner for it.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:59 pm Let's just lay it all out. I could understand why some love T2 to death, I really do. Love it in some ways more than the first? That I just can't understand if they claim to be intellectuals, though if they're casual moviegoers, that makes sense. But do YOU understand where I'm coming from? No, really, I've debated this issue endlessly, and no one seems to wanna try to see my thinking here! T2 set the direction the franchise would go, and it wasn't intelligent in its own right. If you're gonna cite Chuck insisting you shouldn't buy the supplementary material to enjoy a movie, the same holds true here. It should be a self-contained story and the time travel retcon is never fleshed out. It would require very little reworking. And yet Cameron does not. It really feels like extended T1 deleted scenes.
You pretty much disagree with most anybody there is on the matter. You make it as if it's strictly the other way around.

Nobody minds that it has a particular consistency with the first one because it was developed upon multiple fronts including tone, drama, and expansion.

Nothing you've said about the first one is particularly prolific to the point where T2 comes off as redundant when considering its developments.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And you are among those who utterly refuse to admit the time travel in T2 is a retcon. If it's one you love, great. Go for it. But don't pretend it's any less a retcon. When fans have to fill in their own headcanon because the main material won't give it to them, it is sad. I also don't see how Chuck cannot see his own inconsistency here, in that... he says you shouldn't have to check out the supplementary material to enjoy the movie? Well, most audiences won't go into the technical details of time travel, since it gives them a headache, but for dedicated nerds like I am, this retcon of time travel cannot possibly be sustained because it never implied how you could avert Judgment Day in T2 past "alternate timelines," that Chuck subscribes to, and the movie never elaborates on, which leads into the paradox. Skynet's time travel created itself. Therefore, without the time travel, when you can change the timeline, then where did Skynet come from originally? And maybe it's hair-splitting, but it is one super annoying split. If anything, T3 trying to have Judgment Day continue in the face of the retcon is an attempt to put the franchise back on track, if a VERY poor one at that. If I was making T3... you know what, now this could become a whole legitimate thread in its own way. I'm gonna go create a thread on this, "How would you handle T2, T3, & T4?"
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Admiral X wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:00 am T2 was far deeper and had a lot more to say than he's giving it credit for, but he has one hell of a hate boner for it.
It's more like he is one actually ignoring what everyone else says because he is so convinced that he is one who is right.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Despite high audience scores it doesn't appear to have done well at the box office. I've heard this was their second attempt at a soft reboot.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

If killing John really was Cameron's idea, he has no right to complain about Hicks and Newt getting killed off in Alien 3 ever again.