Which Trek creator (writer, producer, etc) do you think was weakest on continuity world-building?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Kendrakirai
Officer

Re: Which Trek creator (writer, producer, etc) do you think was weakest on continuity world-building?

Post by Kendrakirai »

I have to give it to Braga, because his episodes are where science goes to die. It’s one thing to make up treknobabble bullshit science. It’s another entirely to screw up real world science, history, both real and in universe, and everything else he touched.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Which Trek creator (writer, producer, etc) do you think was weakest on continuity world-building?

Post by Darth Wedgius »

For loose continuity, maybe Roddenberry. The setting of TOS wasn't pinned down (probably the real reason for the century confusion in The Squire of Gothos, IMHO). Was the Enterprise part of the Starship or Constitution class? Is it in Starfleet or the United Earth Space Probe Agency?

Justified, probably, because I think people were less picky about continuity before the internet let us be asses about it. :)
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, let's take "Past Tense." The science has a certain grounding in reality, but is no less magical. Chronitons, anyone? Are those real life particles, or not? Seems made up.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I'm pretty sure chronitons are 99 44/100ths% fake. "Chronons" are proposed quanta of time but chronitons are just sciencey-sounding justification for Trek's timey-wimey magic.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hell, in my own sci-fi works, having a greater grasp on the concepts and how they relate to real life theories is only gonna help me in the end. Like tachyons.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Well I mean, tachyons haven't even been proven to exist. They're purely hypothetical (which obviously isn't going to stop any SF writers :D ).
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yup.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I freely admit that I'm biased, but Alex Kurtzman. Everything the man's ever written has been nonsensical hackwork relying purely on ass-pull crises, a complete lack of a sense of scale, and an approach to continuity that's more like "continuity is whatever I want it to be in this exact moment" rather than any form of storytelling.

Everything Kurtzman touches turns to shit, in other words. He combines the tepid and nonsensical writing of Biller with Braga's bad science and the cliched offensively one-note characters of a bad Klink script. Absolutely the worst writer ever to touch Trek and I'm including the lady who wrote Code of Honor on that list.
Kendrakirai
Officer

Post by Kendrakirai »

What has Kurtzman written?