Terminator: Dark Fate: Almost Great (Spoilers)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Terminator: Dark Fate: Almost Great (Spoilers)

Post by Yukaphile »

You blatantly misunderstand me. I think T2 is overrated. It's comparable to T3. I've said this over and over. It has depth, sure. But it also has flaws that are just as bad as T3 and the depth is very shallow in some ways and would have been put to better use elsewhere.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:57 am And you are among those who utterly refuse to admit the time travel in T2 is a retcon.
Nope. You based this on deleted scenes, which invalidates any official premises you based that idea on. Further still, the deleted scenes included a scene that invalidates your claim outright.

You conveniently disregarded each post I've made this point on.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

No, I base this on the fact that if the time loop creates Skynet, which you have never provided an alternative to, then the "alternate timelines" theory BREAKS DOWN. I mean, people talk about the "original timeline" where the machines won, and sending back Kyle, and then the T-800 fixes all that? But that's a faulty assumption because the time travel IS A RETCON. In T1, it's a clear paradox, and events are proceeding as they should. Effect precedes cause, and the future is set despite attempts to claim you can change it. Like the kind seen in "Time's Arrow." But if the machines originally won, and sending Reese back changed it... then how and where the hell did Skynet come from? Even in the retcon of T2, it's said the machine part left over from T1 created it. So really, that film and the logic cannot sustain itself.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's really sad all you need to do in order to please most people, it seems, is just add the "illusion" of some slight depth and then they don't care.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

So this movie tried to hitch a bunch on its trailer. I liked some of its substance, but I don't think it warranted 2 hours. The idea of a human Terminator is interesting, but it's touched upon expositorily and that's about it. I knew there would be a chunk of the movie as long as it was highlighting that it wouldn't be her son but her. Emphasis on her. I'm willing to read more into it from that, but all this packaging for a spitfire attitude just seems bumbling.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Finally saw the movie. It's not bad. I think the ultimate problem (aside from killing John Conner) is that it's hard to create a better threat then the T-1000 in T2.

For example, I got the impression that Carl (reformed T-800) was actually stronger and perhaps even better than what I call the new Terminator. Been nicknaming him 2fer. 2 for 1.

There really isn't anything woke about the movie outside Sarah Conner's comments about giving birth to a MAN to save the world. She said it twice the same way. Once was enough.

John Conner being replaced by a female Mexican midget (she is very short) is OK. The concept that Skynet was just replaced with something similar and created something similar to kill the humans. OK cool.

I get that someone could stand up and unite the humans. To me, the future leader of humanity being female isn't an issue.

Why the movie bombed? People are tired of the Terminator franchise and each movie that came before it just didn't tie in the previous with the exception of T3.

Perhaps there may have been some people who didn't watch it because they are sensitive to anything that might look like it's 'woke'. This movie ain't it.
I got nothing to say here.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:45 am John Conner being replaced by a female Mexican midget (she is very short) is OK. The concept that Skynet was just replaced with something similar and created something similar to kill the humans. OK cool.
She might be short but not that short to be called midget. Seriously do people need to be 6 feet tall to not be called midgets in America anymore.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I don't think anything really worked out for this movie.

And yeah, a midget is an odd way to describe her. I never got any kind of that impression at all. I remember someone calling Danny Devito a midget once, and really he is really short, but I don't see it.
..What mirror universe?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Based on the director's comments, I can't blame people for thinking the movie had a woke agenda there.
If you’re at all enlightened, she’ll play like gangbusters. If you’re a closet misogynist, she’ll scare the f*ck out of you, because she’s tough and strong but very feminine. We did not trade certain gender traits for others; she’s just very strong, and that frightens some dudes. You can see online the responses to some of the early sh*t that’s out there, trolls on the internet. I don’t give a f*ck.
Killing off John Conner was probably a mistake. I mean, "This person is the key to saving humanity, and if he dies... Woopsies! OK, this other person is now the key to saving humanity, and if she dies..." is probably not the most compelling way to set up character motivations, unless you're literally mocking the "chosen one" trope for comedy a la Bard's Tale.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:59 am
McAvoy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:45 am John Conner being replaced by a female Mexican midget (she is very short) is OK. The concept that Skynet was just replaced with something similar and created something similar to kill the humans. OK cool.
She might be short but not that short to be called midget. Seriously do people need to be 6 feet tall to not be called midgets in America anymore.
Yeah she isn't a midget. She is 5' 2" according to the internet.

I am 5' 10" and no one calls me a midget.

The point I originally made is that she is very short. People who are shorter than average have a much harder time being accepted in a commanding relationship. Especially when we are talking about literally killer robots.

IMO, they showed her saving a kid from a gang. It would have been far more impressive to show her saving the kid from a killer robot.
I got nothing to say here.