The Legend of Korra Series Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Ghilz
Officer

Re: The Legend of Korra Series Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Post by Ghilz »

Well the laser I can give a pass since Energy bending was established and such. But yeah, Avatar does like its 11th hour super powers and deus ex machina.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Ghilz wrote:I don't really see butchery. I mean, we were told originally they learned bending from the dragons/badgermole/bison/moon and tides. And all we see here is the turtles giving the potential for bending. We even see Wan practicing with a dragon. To me it doesn't feel like butchery, more like the present people not knowing the full stale of their past, which to be fair isn't unrealistic.
That's fair enough. Personal preference, I just had a re-watch of some Avatar episodes a while back and when the subject of how they originally learned and practiced the arts came up, I felt the lion turtle explanation subtracted rather than added to the mythos.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Side note: I really hate this trope of "The hero gave bread to some hungry children/animals/poor people, so they're actually nice deep down!"

As Cracked has noted, this is LITERALLY how dictators gain their power. Stop idolizing this xD
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

That's because said trope is about demonstrating charity, a virtue. The fact that dictators abuse that virtue to gain power doesn't necessarily detract from the virtue itself.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

On a side note the next episode, The Guide, is the one episode that really does a deserves to Asami. I can buy why she and Bolin don't believe Mako about Varrick given all he has done for them but the fact that she doesn't even believe him after Mako is arrested and continues to believe in Varrick is really out of character for her. I'm not as bothered by her literally sitting on the side lines and cheering for Bolin mainly due to the actually well written scene between the two of them before the big fight and the fact that after Mako dumps her for Korra AGAIN with her clearly making it clear that she is 110% done with his BS while STILL helping Korra and the others shows that she really is the better character of the two.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Man, Chuck's brief comment at the end of this latest review really makes me want to see him do Princess Mononoke. Sigh.
Edvarius
Officer

Post by Edvarius »

Princess Mononoke was a good film.

Anyway, I thought there was something incredibly sad in this episode, with how Wan had decided to dedicate his life to bringing peace to the people who now had to live together, show them that while they might have differences they're all human... and cutting to him as an old man broken on a battlefield.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

RobbyB1982 wrote:Man, Chuck's brief comment at the end of this latest review really makes me want to see him do Princess Mononoke. Sigh.
When i heard that Princess Mononoke was what inspired the story of Wan I couldn't stop laughing. "I was right! I was right! Mononoke was the prequel to Avatar!" that was a theory that i had because the movie seems very much like what would have happened when Vaatu opened the spirit portals and merged the two worlds.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Ok that ended better than I thought it would.
aceina
Officer

Post by aceina »

people are way to harsh on korra for the early part of spirits put your self in her shoes a big issue for her first of all was learning her father and tenzin not aang where why she was locked up in the compound for her entire life she felt betrayed and they never explain why it was done

she has no social skills a key factor people forget she never got to travel the world and learn how to interact with people