The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Pretty good so far. Nice to see aliens that don't look like inbred potatoes. Also it's weird to see people like Carl Weathers (who has had a decent comeback in the last few years) and Werner Herzog in this, and Nick Nolte did a good job as the Ugnaught, plus it's nice to see that Taika Waititi isn't hamming it up, I was afraid IG-11 would be a mix of Korg and K-2SO, but instead he's just a cold robot who is a little too eager to self-destruct (the opposite of Scud the Disposable Assassin I guess).

I'm going to assume this Mandalorian is in a different group from the main ones we've see in TCW and Rebels, since they had no problem with taking their helmets off, and this group is just more dedicated to the more arbitrary traditions.

Action could use a bit of work, and I'm hesitant about delving too deep into the details of Yoda's species, since Lucas was pretty adamant about keeping that mysterious, but as long as there's nothing stupid like in the ST or what I've head about Solo, I'm up for it. I mean, even the naysayers are saying it's just mediocre at worst, so it's obvious they're doing something right.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Disney Star Wars when it isn't ruining beloved, iconic characters is at least passable. Rogue One was fine. This will probably be fine too.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I also noticed that the Mandalorian cultural stuff is just a little... off. There's the helmet thing, and then for some reason they're called a "tribe" instead of the usual "clan". It's not a situation where several clans make up a tribe either, since there seem to be maybe a dozen of them. I also got the impression that they're mostly foundlings with no blood ties, although it's vague enough that maybe the title character just happens to donate his profits to a Mando orphanage.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'll keep harping on it over and over. Throwing out the former EU, that's flat-out what Last Jedi preached. "Your nostalgia is misguided, embrace the future." And you can't tell me there's no good reason to adapt Legends material. Look at all the book-to-movie adaptations of the past. No, they just wanted a reboot and if they could have, reboot A New Hope. But Lucas wouldn't let them, so kudos to him for that.

How distinct is The Mandalorian from Legends, might I ask?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:01 amHow distinct is The Mandalorian from Legends, might I ask?
I personally don't think there's ever been anything more distinct.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Excellent. 8-)
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

YOu have to admit that Mandalorian's pretty good.
..What mirror universe?
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

I'm probably going to sit out Disney+ until the Marvel shows start appearing, but I've been having a peek at the clips they're sprinkling around, and I'm quite looking forward to catching up on this when I do.
Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:01 amI'll keep harping on it over and over.
Good heavens sir, don't startle me so.

(Although just for my own curiosity - have you seen TLJ?)
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:17 am(Although just for my own curiosity - have you seen TLJ?)
He knows who made it, and that's enough.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I've read enough to get a larger picture. I respect what it did new, but I also felt like it was quite honest. The complaints fans have? Is what Legends fans had felt in 2014, just on a larger scale.