The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by hammerofglass »

I still don't get that. Why not watch it at least once so you can hate it in precise exacting detail? It's still on Netflix, so you don't even have to give them your money.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Okay wow. Well I don't want to alarm you, but Kylo Ren's actually the bad guy, so I wouldn't take anything he says too seriously.

It's kind of like that time the Emperor told Luke to give in to the Dark Side and become his apprentice, that actually wasn't what the movie was pushing as its central message.

Wait.

Okay, just in case.

The Emperor was the bad guy in Return of the Jedi.

Return of the Jedi was the third Star Wars film.

Star Wars is a series of films about space wizards with magic swords.

Can someone else take over and explain 'sword' if needed? I'm at work, I kind of need to deal with some stuff.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I think you're on the wrong thread. Nobody mentioned any of that.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

I'm just filling in the context for Yuka, since it turns out his whole beef with TLJ is based on one line from the trailer.

(But yeah, back to the peacetime Mandalorian.)
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:38 am I'm just filling in the context for Yuka, since it turns out his whole beef with TLJ is based on one line from the trailer.

(But yeah, back to the peacetime Mandalorian.)
Ah, the "let the past die" bit. Gotcha.

Ironically enough I had completely forgotten about that.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They also burned down Jedi artifacts. And Luke threw away his lightsaber. Even to a layman like me, they had to know what that would mean.

It irks me because it's a commonality to all these reboots, and in effect, a larger societal issue. That we really do think the past is over, we should focus on the now. And that's where age-ism comes in. I'm sure some would even claim they were age-ist to Mark Hamill. I don't think they were, but it's definitely ignoring the past to deal with issues in the present.

And I don't even hate Last Jedi. I like it did something new. I just think building up the justification for Luke being that way after the fact is a poor-ass way to go about it. I'm mostly worried the Old Republic era will be a stale rehash once it is inevitably adapted into new canon.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:33 pm plus it's nice to see that Taika Waititi isn't hamming it up, I was afraid IG-11 would be a mix of Korg and K-2SO, but instead he's just a cold robot who is a little too eager to self-destruct (the opposite of Scud the Disposable Assassin I guess).
As physically imposing as the old super battle droids were, IG-11 managed to be a more frightening prospect to face (IMHO) considering the way it just spun around and kept up the accurate and intense fire rate. Clearly not invincible, but I'd rather NOT face a squad of those things out in the open.
I'm going to assume this Mandalorian is in a different group from the main ones we've see in TCW and Rebels, since they had no problem with taking their helmets off, and this group is just more dedicated to the more arbitrary traditions.
We've had Satine's peacful cubist culture, Deathwatch's extremists, Wren's scrappy loyalists and now these guys. The Forge Master did mention a purge so it's possible the Empire scattered the Clans after we last saw them on 'Rebels'.

Overall I am satisfied with this opening and interested in seeing more.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's a question I have. It's not one that has been leveled solely by me, mind you. Why are they so dead set on having utterly and totally ABSOLUTE continuity on their whole EU that ties into the larger Disney Star Wars universe? Others have criticized them for being control freaks, and I can see how that is so. Others have even praised them on this forum for striving for consistency. Yet take something like Jedi Apprentice from Legends vs. the Revenge of the Sith novel. Revenge of the Sith clearly emphasizes the Jedi's dogma in forbidding attachments, and Jedi Apprentice has them acting a bit more like the pre-prequels Jedi, with this character trait de-emphasized. Is it inconsistent? Yes, in the larger grand scheme of things, given the Jedi's feelings on death and our place in the Force. But I see no problems with this existing in the larger world of Star Wars Legends because as I'd said, there were always levels of canon. Now, it seems by being such tyrants, they are actually hindering their new EU. They want it all to feel totally consistent, which is why it's easy for people to make up their own agendas when they are not being honest, as per the big corporations. It's easy to think they are both promoting the hell out of their EU, since it is a good marketing tactic and they want it all to be part of a larger world, and at the same time, in being elitist towards the EU since "the movies come first," yet I think the EU had grown to such an extent under George, that it had outgrown him and his vision. I mean, contradiction is a natural human way of thinking, and Lord knows I value a tight consistency. But the very arguments they have used in justifying the reboot (that I think has actually helped the post-Endor Legends period, ironically), that it is a mess, is precisely why I dislike it. Because Jude Watson has a very different writing style than Matt Stover, and yet it is clear both are allowed enormous creative freedom. How does the new EU differ? I mean, really. They do seem like control freaks in their approach, to such an extent the brilliant but lazy George never was. And that allowed the EU under him to flourish. But then, many people dislike the new movies even without knowing of the EU, so that seems like it was a bad move. The EU was once bursting with life and originality. Now it is not. Can anyone confirm this?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:06 pm But then, many people dislike the new movies even without knowing of the EU, so that seems like it was a bad move.
Pot, meet kettle.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Exactly. Though it's more a case of being upset they rebooted the whole EU just to make room for a new canon. I'm sick of reboots. And they never wanna do anything new. Yet they do. They are trapped in a paradox of wanting to do something new, yet wanting to stick to the same old, same old because that sells. The reboot felt pointless, even though I could legitimately understand the argument it might lead to a renaissance in good storytelling. :lol: Did you really expect a big, greedy company to do that? Rather than appeal to the most shallow aspects of the franchise? I still have a hard time forgiving them for the poor language used in justifying the reboot and decanonization. And I think most fans have an issue with them now, which is sad. You cannot completely crush inconsistency. And new EU now feels like an afterthought. I miss the days when the EU was better than the primary canon.