TNG - The Mind's Eye

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: TNG - The Mind's Eye

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I thought Geordi's indifference to the ordeal was a nice touch as well. I can't remember if it was a development over the episode, but I guess Chuck touched nicely upon it when bringing up his humble nature during the explicit investigation.
..What mirror universe?
S1l3nc3d0g00d
Redshirt

Post by S1l3nc3d0g00d »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:19 pm As to the spilled drink? Even in TNG, O'Brien must suffer. Treknology can play fast and loose with gravity or even conservation of mass, but some laws they can't just reverse polarity their way out of.
Now that I've thought about it, I'm actually wondering if this isn't either (a) some toned-down bleedover from the "make Geordi shoot O'Brien" brainwashing, where he unconsciously thinks "do something to O'Brien" but doesn't jump to "try and shoot O'Brien", or (b) something in his subconscious trying to make him remember what had actually happened to him.
Rawbeard
Redshirt

Post by Rawbeard »

what was so controversial about the They Live review?

also it seems the other Trek reviews are dead. guess it's this time of the year again
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

S1l3nc3d0g00d wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:20 am Now that I've thought about it, I'm actually wondering if this isn't either (a) some toned-down bleedover from the "make Geordi shoot O'Brien" brainwashing, where he unconsciously thinks "do something to O'Brien" but doesn't jump to "try and shoot O'Brien", or (b) something in his subconscious trying to make him remember what had actually happened to him.
From the Doylist perspective, it's meant to make the viewers unsettled since we're now well aware that Geordi would kill O'Brien if he's ordered to. Showing him fucking with O'Brien after we've seen that drives home the threat-and it's not like Colm Meaney had his name in the opening credits so he might even be at risk.

From the Watsonian perspective, it's probably a test by the Klingon agent to make sure his device is working properly. He wasn't there during the initial testing, and besides that, he may be concerned that Geordi will somehow snap out of it now that it's no longer a simulation. Sure, he probably trusts his Romulan allies, but he wants to make sure it works the way he thinks it does.

It works well and serves a purpose both in-universe and out of universe.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

S1l3nc3d0g00d wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:20 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:19 pm As to the spilled drink? Even in TNG, O'Brien must suffer. Treknology can play fast and loose with gravity or even conservation of mass, but some laws they can't just reverse polarity their way out of.
Now that I've thought about it, I'm actually wondering if this isn't either (a) some toned-down bleedover from the "make Geordi shoot O'Brien" brainwashing, where he unconsciously thinks "do something to O'Brien" but doesn't jump to "try and shoot O'Brien", or (b) something in his subconscious trying to make him remember what had actually happened to him.
Certainly reasonable ideas. I re-watched the episode and I think it was a test of his conditioning, though. Maybe something where a failure wouldn't expose the mission.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Rawbeard wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:36 am what was so controversial about the They Live review?

also it seems the other Trek reviews are dead. guess it's this time of the year again
The general premise of the movie is Reaganomics is evil and being run by aliens, which if you follow the trajectory can lead to "The people in charge of the republican party and their policies are evil monsters."

Discussing that, even neutrally, is going to upset some folks. Even if you're not talking about them, but their elected leaders, well... those are still the leaders THEY picked, how dare you. No matter how bad said leaders of given era might be.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

RobbyB1982 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:32 am
Rawbeard wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:36 am what was so controversial about the They Live review?

The general premise of the movie is Reaganomics is evil and being run by aliens, which if you follow the trajectory can lead to "The people in charge of the republican party and their policies are evil monsters."

Discussing that, even neutrally, is going to upset some folks. Even if you're not talking about them, but their elected leaders, well... those are still the leaders THEY picked, how dare you. No matter how bad said leaders of given era might be.
Pardon, but what controversy are they referring to? Was it among us, or were people on the internet mad about Chuck's review lol.
..What mirror universe?
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

Another thing this episode, as does the TNG era as a whole, glosses over the whole structure of the Klingon Empire. We never see any of their subject races or learn how they even feel about being part of the empire. From all we see, the central government and military are entirely Klingon. When on Kronos, we don't even see members of other races passing by the way we would in a scene set on Earth.

They give lip service to independence, but it's clear no one actually wants that. There's also the possibility that the unrest was fomented by the Romulans, but that doesn't mean an actual independence movement doesn't exist. We just see what appears to be a Klingon governor in charge of a non-Klingon population, like we saw with Kor on Organia.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:15 pm Pardon, but what controversy are they referring to? Was it among us, or were people on the internet mad about Chuck's review lol.
Chuck gets crazy mail that we never see.

He comments on it in his videos from time to time.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

RobbyB1982 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:07 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:15 pm Pardon, but what controversy are they referring to? Was it among us, or were people on the internet mad about Chuck's review lol.
Chuck gets crazy mail that we never see.

He comments on it in his videos from time to time.
Oh, right. That makes sense.
..What mirror universe?