TNG - The Mind's Eye

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Taurian Patriot
Officer

Re: TNG - The Mind's Eye

Post by Taurian Patriot »

cdrood wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:23 pm Another thing this episode, as does the TNG era as a whole, glosses over the whole structure of the Klingon Empire. We never see any of their subject races or learn how they even feel about being part of the empire. From all we see, the central government and military are entirely Klingon. When on Kronos, we don't even see members of other races passing by the way we would in a scene set on Earth.
That sure fits with what Martok once told Worf: "We don't embrace other cultures, we conquer them!" And that's coming from probably the most open-minded, reasonable Klingon you'll ever meet.

I don't know about any official word on the Empire, but I imagine that subjugated populations are heavily restricted to their worlds and made to do the bulk of the farming, mining, manufacturing, and scientific research (strictly compartmentalized, so they can't join their efforts and threaten their overlords). At least it could explain how they maintain infrastructure and top-of-the-line tech despite their loathing of menial labor and intellectual pursuits.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

My theory is they just do all the non warrior stuff when they get too old.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yet another place that Discovery had plenty of room to do something "new" with the Klingons that would have added instead of subtracted. Oh well.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Taurian Patriot wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:50 pm
cdrood wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:23 pm Another thing this episode, as does the TNG era as a whole, glosses over the whole structure of the Klingon Empire. We never see any of their subject races or learn how they even feel about being part of the empire. From all we see, the central government and military are entirely Klingon. When on Kronos, we don't even see members of other races passing by the way we would in a scene set on Earth.
That sure fits with what Martok once told Worf: "We don't embrace other cultures, we conquer them!" And that's coming from probably the most open-minded, reasonable Klingon you'll ever meet.

I don't know about any official word on the Empire, but I imagine that subjugated populations are heavily restricted to their worlds and made to do the bulk of the farming, mining, manufacturing, and scientific research (strictly compartmentalized, so they can't join their efforts and threaten their overlords). At least it could explain how they maintain infrastructure and top-of-the-line tech despite their loathing of menial labor and intellectual pursuits.
We saw far more of the Klingon subjugated worlds in TOS than we did anywhere else, and in those cases the Klingons prefer puppet governments to ruling directly. We saw in this best in the episode where they invade Organia.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Which DS9 then retconned. :P
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yeah but the social depth of it in the 60's amounted to them bullying around people that otherwise have no familiarity with hostile intrusion.
..What mirror universe?
Wolf359
Redshirt

Post by Wolf359 »

So when Geordi goes to bed he takes his VISOR off and puts it on the nightstand. Then he goes to sleep in the dark. What difference does having the lights off make to a blind man? Reminds me of Tuvok in “Year of Hell” being blind and shaving with the lights on.

And as others have said, the “juice thing” was a test by the Romulans to make sure they had control over Geordi once he was back on the Enterprise before they tried to have him do something important. Obviously they wouldn’t have him shoot O’Brien, as I would hope the crew would react differently than they did on the Romulan holodeck...
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Wolf359 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:47 pm So when Geordi goes to bed he takes his VISOR off and puts it on the nightstand. Then he goes to sleep in the dark. What difference does having the lights off make to a blind man? Reminds me of Tuvok in “Year of Hell” being blind and shaving with the lights on.
I'm blind and I turn the light off before bed.
..What mirror universe?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I don't know if BCM is actually blind, but I've heard that blind people can still have really limited perception of light, so I guess Geordi could be bothered by lights.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

He turns it off when sleeping to save a few watts, because he's an engineer. :)