The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:32 am @Zargon I'm a social justice Feminist, man.
Lies.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

:roll:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Just watched both of these, and I really enjoyed it.

Feels like the best new Star Wars in a very long time. Favreau gets the aesthetic and tone of Star Wars. I love that the show has enough faith in its audience to have a protagonist of few words, instead using visual storytelling to convey character and plot. It was so much more engaging than Rogue One, because it has time to let the audience connect.
mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:30 am Well what else can you call him? His species doesn't even have a name, and every other member we've seen was practically a carbon copy.
I thought they were Whills? Apparently that's a "common misconception". Perhaps we can call it a fledgling yodoid. I was wondering if this is a spiritual reincarnation à la the Dalai Lama, but I suppose that depends on when this takes place (the show itself is vague on this, but assuming the 50-year-age is correct that seems unlikely).
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The show is supposedly set 5 years after RotJ. Doesn't line up.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Well it's true that that species hasn't been named and only members of that species that we know of are Yoda and Yaddle. From what I have read Lucas has kept that species shrouded in mystery on purpose which is why it hasn't been named.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

After Episode 3 I am really disappointed they aren't using any of their older Mandalorian music.

Vode An from the Republic Commando soundtrack would have taken it over the top.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Disney plus needs to work on their interface updates. Checked it after this last post and the main page says "episode 2 now available!"
..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

They come out 3-ish EST.

Disney+ does seem kind of half baked on the interface side. Going through a series you have to search for it and remember what episode you left off instead of just having a "continue watching" option on the front page like every other streaming service has.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I loved Yaddle. :P
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I read the two reviews, and I do wanna say this. I think I respect the fact The Mandalorian is doing something new. I honestly expected a repeat of Legends in the post-Endor timeline. Glad to see that's mostly not the case. Though I worry about bringing back Mara Jade... seriously. I know Dave Filoni likely has nothing to do with the decisions Kathleen Kennedy is making that are really hurting this franchise, but even so, it's just... it's just gonna ensure Legends fans are hungry for more, and yet you're not GIVING them that material! Why is it so hard for them to see that when you throw away the old EU, and say it's a non-canon mess, that you're burning down their childhoods? That may be extreme, but it's what people said about Last Jedi. So why not? They did it long before 2014. This is just more proof that we need to compartmentalize Star Wars and put the parts of the franchise they don't wanna touch anymore into Creative Commons.