The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CmdrKing
Captain

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by CmdrKing »

Well, they did make this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMNU9lASvwk&ab_channel=DisneylandExperience

Which to me suggests that if they were to put Hondo into a live-action work they'd probably still do a CG overlay effect, if not a full Golum treatment.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The thing I want to note is, and this might be shocking coming from me, is that The Mandalorian sounds legitimately good. Perhaps a bit shallow in some ways, but I liked Jar Jar. Sue me. And it sounds completely original, distinct from Legends. It makes me wonder if in some ways, they really are introducing tons of new characters, at least in the niche material or the side material compared to the movies. That perhaps they only recanonized Thrawn because of such insistent blowback from the fans, especially as the movies went downhill for a variety of reasons. And if they recanonize Mara Jade, it will be for the same reason.

But this leads me to wonder on the state of the franchise's future. Sure, Rebels might be good (making Onderon purple, despite what I've said, I like on principle, because it's doing something new) and The Mandalorian might be shaping up to be similar. That having been said... I mean, two years till the next Star Wars movie? And who are they going to put in charge of? They've been firing people left and right, and bringing in others for reshoots, I hear. That shows a kind of general incompetence. Not to beat a dead horse, but it is about money. They're treating the movies with kid gloves because they are so terrified of losing sales, and Force Awakens proves, outside EU/Legends and niche Star Wars fans, that there's still a huge market. With that sort of approach, will the movies improved Sure, this might be a good show. But even so, it's going to be directly tied to the hip of the movies they are making. Unless they suddenly insist the movies are their own canon? Would they really do that?

What do you guys think? And how more niche shows like Rebels and The Mandalorian means as a niche, the quality improves? And for movies sold worldwide, they get more afraid, more hesitant?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:29 pm Not to beat a dead horse
No offense but that's kind of what you're doing. I mean, we finally got this thread back to talking about The Mandalorian after it went off the rails for a bit, and you're bringing up the same points that have talked about to death in other threads. And talking about the films when this is a thread about a tv show.

Not that they can't overlap a bit, but why does every thread related to Star Wars have to a big thing about "the future of the franchise", about canon, and about the other stuff that's been brought up a million times?
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

kingofmadcows wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:04 pm Mandalorian reminds me quite a bit of the Mad Max films, especially in the way that it builds its world through action and imagery instead of exposition. It's not quite as masterfully done as the Mad Max films, especially Fury Road, but I appreciate the way they develop the world simply by showing you the characters going about their business and letting you figure things out through context.
Huh, wonder if George Miller would be willing to write and direct an episode...might be good fun.

Actually, that brings up an interesting question. Are there any old EU stories you think could/should be adapted into an episode of 'The Mandalorian' and are there any writers or directors you'd like to see craft stories for this series?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, because the movies are the greatest canon, yes? Even with the reboot, that's true.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Actually come to think of it if they were going to do a live action Hondo it would almost certainly be in the upcoming series focusing on his very best friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

It would be interesting if the series went further in the Mad Max direction and have Mando just drop in on what's really someone else's story. Which is also a classic setup for classic Western series. Have Wrist Mounted Flamethrower, Will Travel. It would be a good way to bring back classic characters like Talon Karde for an episode or two without them stealing the whole show.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

mathewgsmith wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:21 am Actually come to think of it if they were going to do a live action Hondo it would almost certainly be in the upcoming series focusing on his very best friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

It would be interesting if the series went further in the Mad Max direction and have Mando just drop in on what's really someone else's story. Which is also a classic setup for classic Western series. Have Wrist Mounted Flamethrower, Will Travel. It would be a good way to bring back classic characters like Talon Karde for an episode or two without them stealing the whole show.
That format would work pretty well all things considered. Keep the plot with Imperial and other forces wanting the 'The Cub' as an underlying aspect to everything but have the Mandalorin wandering into other people's stories, as well as things specific to the Mandalorins of this time period.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

So given Episode 4 was basically The Magnificent Two Samurai it looks like that's exactly what we're getting.

When they're treated seriously as heavily armed and armored mechs AT-STs are actually damn scary btw.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Those were also shown to be threat in Rebels so outside RotJ AT-STs are no joke.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

mathewgsmith wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:59 am So given Episode 4 was basically The Magnificent Two Samurai it looks like that's exactly what we're getting.

When they're treated seriously as heavily armed and armored mechs AT-STs are actually damn scary btw.
I'm not scared of them...
..What mirror universe?