The Last Jedi Two Years Later

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: The Last Jedi Two Years Later

Post by Admiral X »

We just don't talk about that stuff now because we have STD to bash on right now. ;)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:51 am I do think the bashing of The Last Jedi will die down.

I mean I do remember how the Trek community was with Voyager and Enterprise, especially the NX class design. Or seeing a certain Vulcan's but crack. That seems to have died down over the past 15 years.

Not saying the two are comparable as Star Wars is the far more popular franchise of course but I would like to think Trek fans can be just as angry as Star Wars fans.
Well, Star Wars is Star Trek x100, it should only take a hundred and fifty years.

https://www.cracked.com/article_19612_star-wars-vs-star-trek-objective-analysis.html
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:30 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:51 am I do think the bashing of The Last Jedi will die down.

I mean I do remember how the Trek community was with Voyager and Enterprise, especially the NX class design. Or seeing a certain Vulcan's but crack. That seems to have died down over the past 15 years.

Not saying the two are comparable as Star Wars is the far more popular franchise of course but I would like to think Trek fans can be just as angry as Star Wars fans.
Well, Star Wars is Star Trek x100, it should only take a hundred and fifty years.

https://www.cracked.com/article_19612_star-wars-vs-star-trek-objective-analysis.html
That's what I was thinking. I love Trek, but it isn't and has never been as big as Star Wars.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Trek is a different animal than Star Wars.

But yeah though, the nerd rage over ENT was pretty strong from what I remember.

For me though especially if the rumors are true over the latest movie, there will be alot of nerd rage for years to come. Perhaps it will die down over the course of twenty years.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:27 am Trek is a different animal than Star Wars.

But yeah though, the nerd rage over ENT was pretty strong from what I remember.

For me though especially if the rumors are true over the latest movie, there will be alot of nerd rage for years to come. Perhaps it will die down over the course of twenty years.
If Palpatine survived the events of Star Wars 6 then that is the final nail for me. Especially if MaRey is the one to kill him.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm curious, clearspira. What do you think of Dark Empire? The plot is basically the same there. Palpatine survived, but I think it adds new dimensions to what for Lucas was a clearly one-dimensional character, urging Luke to strike him down, because he knew he could transfer his essence into a clone body, and that Luke would be his once he had his first taste of the dark side. It also ties into him as this epic manipulator looking into secrets of immortality the prequels said he was. So it is consistent to the lore from the old Lucas era.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:01 pm I'm curious, clearspira. What do you think of Dark Empire? The plot is basically the same there. Palpatine survived, but I think it adds new dimensions to what for Lucas was a clearly one-dimensional character, urging Luke to strike him down, because he knew he could transfer his essence into a clone body, and that Luke would be his once he had his first taste of the dark side. It also ties into him as this epic manipulator looking into secrets of immortality the prequels said he was. So it is consistent to the lore from the old Lucas era.
Thing is, that isn't canon. I am all for a canon work doing what it likes. But this is now "what actually happened."
Luke becoming a coward is now what actually happened.
Anakin's sacrifice being meaningless is now what actually happened.
This whole Disney trilogy seems intent on invalidating the OT.

Put it this way: it would be like someone buying Harry Potter and launching another book based on the premise that Voldemort had a secret 8th horcrux and thus he is now back from the dead. Oh, but Harry isn't going to be the one to kill him (he is some lazy murderous coward now who drinks hippogriff milk from the tit), it is someone we have never heard of (we'll call her Rey Witchington for sake of argument) who is stronger than Dumbledore, smarter than Hermione, more loyal than Ron, better at potions than Snape etc.

You wouldn't feel like you wasted your time ever caring about this story if that ever happened?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

"Canon" is meaningless. So that just seems elitist, and a way to duck the question, especially given what Legends did after Endor. So I'll ask again. What do you think of it? The truth, this time. No obfuscation.

Well, tbf, they've been that way since 2014. They invalidated Legends. Why not the bedrock of this franchise? That being said, I could accept Luke was a hermit. I really could. It'd require precise execution, but if the EU could justify it after the fact, that would put it on par with the prequels, and maybe higher in a lot of people's minds. But then he goes, as you said, from a civilized boy even when he was living on a damned farm in an isolated environment to... slobbing off the cow's teat. Though I find that kind of validating, since that's what Legends fans had felt since 2014. Luke doing that seems no different than a new baby Yoda. And fans complained about Jar Jar. :lol: Not even dissing the baby Yoda. "Canon" exploring his species would be interesting. I just find the double standards of the fandom to be amusing. Myself included.

I'd actually like that basic idea, if not all of what you wrote, on principle. Sure, Voldemort marked him as his equal, but if executed well, it could be interesting. Dumbledore even said it is because they make their own choices. Voldemort because he believes in fate, and Harry because It's Personal. That he was putting too much stock into the prophecy. Though the "drinking milk off a hipogriff's teat" is kind of the same to how I felt about it. It's just... :shock: And the new hero being stronger than Dumbledore if he/she is younger? Yeah, not gonna happen. But if you've read Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived, you'll see that kind of story could be done well. It's amazingly well-written. Harry is a prodigy who has even more potential than Dumbledore, confirmed by the man himself. Yet he is like an anti-Sue. He has no friends, he messes up a lot of the times, and so on and so forth. So despite his raw potential and how far he goes in school, he ends up being balanced by that. I could buy that Harry being stronger than Dumbledore, at that age. He begins learning Occlumeny, among other things. While in canon he could not.

The "drinking milk straight from the teat" thing is what would kill it for me, tbh.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:47 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:01 pm I'm curious, clearspira. What do you think of Dark Empire? The plot is basically the same there. Palpatine survived, but I think it adds new dimensions to what for Lucas was a clearly one-dimensional character, urging Luke to strike him down, because he knew he could transfer his essence into a clone body, and that Luke would be his once he had his first taste of the dark side. It also ties into him as this epic manipulator looking into secrets of immortality the prequels said he was. So it is consistent to the lore from the old Lucas era.
Thing is, that isn't canon. I am all for a canon work doing what it likes. But this is now "what actually happened."
Luke becoming a coward is now what actually happened.
Anakin's sacrifice being meaningless is now what actually happened.
This whole Disney trilogy seems intent on invalidating the OT.
Invalidating OT? Do you actually think that way or do you just say it because you don't like new trilogy? I don't see how OT is being invalidated by new trilogy when those are adding things to mythos and continueing story within canon. Just because characters from OT aren't in center stage and can't be since it has been so long since OT doesn't mean that OT is being invalidated.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

"Adding to mythos" does not equate to "good." And I'll say what clearspira is banging on. You can turn Luke into a hermit without making him a hobo. Slobbering milk off tits is just that.