The Last Jedi Two Years Later

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: The Last Jedi Two Years Later

Post by hammerofglass »

Yuka, I'm still trying to figure out what you think "canon" means.

I'm also pretty sure the version of the movie you haven't seen that you put together in your head would get at least an R rating if it has Luke drinking milk directly from the teat.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I saw the actual clip. I'm sure clearspira could post it here. As a GIF.

"Canon," as opposed to headcanon, is merely the current story being worked on, as I see it. The work that takes dominant importance. Legends itself had layers of canon in the past, even if the six movies were the highest level of canon. But even that left wriggle room. The current story being worked on is building off the six movies, and Clone Wars, all that they brought over. That's what I admit canon is. But canon is meaningless, really. It's an abstract concept of value being placed on something. Again, look at how Toei treats its non-canon material. There is no context. I'd place the Revenge of the Sith novel that is no longer canon over the actual movie that still is. It's superior. So you see what I mean.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
AquaReggie
Officer

Post by AquaReggie »

This feels like another Klingon dong situation, where you get hung up on some point (usually anatomical) and use it as a focal point to bash the rest of the movie. Again, I have problems with Last Jedi. But I'd rather talk about the substance of the film.

As for Hermit Luke? The backstory for why he became a hermit was quite weak to me. But I actually can't put all the blame on Johnson for this. JJ used Force Awakens to tell us that Luke went missing and left a secret map to his location with Artoo. Meanwhile the First Order has been gathering strength to take over the galaxy. So Last Jedi had to explain some reason for why Luke ran away from everything in the intervening years.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

So you defined the term with the standard definition and I'm with you so far. Then you said it's meaningless and I'm confused. Then something about "value" where I have absolutely no idea what you're on about.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:13 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:47 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:01 pm I'm curious, clearspira. What do you think of Dark Empire? The plot is basically the same there. Palpatine survived, but I think it adds new dimensions to what for Lucas was a clearly one-dimensional character, urging Luke to strike him down, because he knew he could transfer his essence into a clone body, and that Luke would be his once he had his first taste of the dark side. It also ties into him as this epic manipulator looking into secrets of immortality the prequels said he was. So it is consistent to the lore from the old Lucas era.
Thing is, that isn't canon. I am all for a canon work doing what it likes. But this is now "what actually happened."
Luke becoming a coward is now what actually happened.
Anakin's sacrifice being meaningless is now what actually happened.
This whole Disney trilogy seems intent on invalidating the OT.
Invalidating OT? Do you actually think that way or do you just say it because you don't like new trilogy? I don't see how OT is being invalidated by new trilogy when those are adding things to mythos and continueing story within canon. Just because characters from OT aren't in center stage and can't be since it has been so long since OT doesn't mean that OT is being invalidated.
Would you want to read a Harry Potter sequel written by someone other than JK Rowling that turns Harry into a hobo, kills off a good chunk of the original cast, introduces a new character to replace him, and brings back Voldemort?

Answer the question. Any answer other than ''sounds great!'' makes you a hypocrite.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:59 pm I saw the actual clip. I'm sure clearspira could post it here. As a GIF.

"Canon," as opposed to headcanon, is merely the current story being worked on, as I see it. The work that takes dominant importance. Legends itself had layers of canon in the past, even if the six movies were the highest level of canon. But even that left wriggle room. The current story being worked on is building off the six movies, and Clone Wars, all that they brought over. That's what I admit canon is. But canon is meaningless, really. It's an abstract concept of value being placed on something. Again, look at how Toei treats its non-canon material. There is no context. I'd place the Revenge of the Sith novel that is no longer canon over the actual movie that still is. It's superior. So you see what I mean.
To be honest Yuka, your current stance in the last few posts regarding canon is completely at odds with the majority of your historical complaints over STD. You are the one who has posted a dozen times about Klingon penises.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And then I learned it was Season 1, and I could overlook it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:10 pm And then I learned it was Season 1, and I could overlook it.
That is not how canon works. Here is something that I copy and pasted and it literally is not more complicated than this:

"Canon" in fictional stories refers to material related to the story that is considered "official" by the story creator(s). The flipside is something being non-canon: this happens when something is created for a series that ends up being not official.

In every other Trek show both past and present, Klingons now have two dicks. Mirror universe citizens now have bad eyes. Spock now has a sister. Every enraged paragraph and thread you made about these is still just as valid unless you now believe that you were wrong to criticise these retcons.

I am going to say it as it is: This is an incredible turnaround of opinion based fallacious logic and has invalidated at least a 1000 of your comments to date.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

So what? More official? That's where headcanon comes in. TNG Season 1 doesn't exist to me based on that logic either.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The TNG finale must be super confusing in your headcanon.