The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by hammerofglass »

Okay. Have a cookie, I guess?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

mathewgsmith wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:17 pm Okay. Have a cookie, I guess?
If I came off as obtuse, then I am sorry :(
..What mirror universe?
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Fairly decent episode, and I do like the whole concept of the Mandalorian and the Child having to be on the run for the time being. I'm curious about the AT-ST, were some Kaltooinians piloting it or did the red lights mean there was an AI in control? Nice action and some cute moments make for an enjoyable outing.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

This seems to be the least divisive Disney Star Wars so far. Even more so than Rogue One.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The AT-ST was... really inexplicable. They don't even have basic guns (that in Star Wars are about as rare as they are in Texas) but somehow they can maintain and operate an AFV??

Of course the villagers have functioning droids even though their other tech seems to have topped out at wicker, so probably best not to think about it.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

That was a great episode. I'm really loving this show.
ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:52 am Fairly decent episode, and I do like the whole concept of the Mandalorian and the Child having to be on the run for the time being. I'm curious about the AT-ST, were some Kaltooinians piloting it or did the red lights mean there was an AI in control? Nice action and some cute moments make for an enjoyable outing.
Clearly it was Section 31's CONTROL, sent through a wormhole. >_>
I just assumed it was more of the bandits piloting it. The most likely explanation I came up with for the whole situation is that they found/salvaged this this when it was abandoned by The Empire. It was covered in muck and vines when it first rose up, so it's not in the best condition.

I loved how it moved, and how much of a threat it was.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:18 am This seems to be the least divisive Disney Star Wars so far. Even more so than Rogue One.
It's nice. I'm hoping Disney gets the message from this.
mathewgsmith wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:23 am The AT-ST was... really inexplicable. They don't even have basic guns (that in Star Wars are about as rare as they are in Texas) but somehow they can maintain and operate an AFV??

Of course the villagers have functioning droids even though their other tech seems to have topped out at wicker, so probably best not to think about it.
I don't think they would have maintained it for an extended period of time. It's a functional piece of equipment left behind. But Star Wars is all about keeping old hunks of junk running with repairs and makeshift parts slapped on, so who knows?

I think this made sense for the droids, too. Notice they weren't complete droids, they were portions of droids mashed together and strapped to more primitive machines. This place is making the best out of cast-off trash and left-behind remnants.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I can definitely see why they decided to release one a week instead of all at once. Chapter 5 was a fine episode when you're watching it as this week's installment, but it would just feel like filler in a binge watch.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Pretty good episode, I was surprised they killed off Ming-Na Wen so soon (if she truly is dead) and being back on Tatooine was nice. Filoni's first time as both writer and director in live action is a solid success.
Seeing the Tusken Raiders acting reasonable surprised me. Maybe the hostility varies from clan to clan? With the whole western vibe the show is going for, the Tusken Raiders felt like how Native Americans are portrayed in some westerns like The Outlaw Josey Wales.

The Storm Trooper helmets were a great, gritty visual. I have to admit when Mandalorian offered Imperial credits to her, I was half expecting Peli to channel Watto and say "Those aren't good anymore, I need something more real."

Also, I'm kind of amused by Peli telling her pit droids to dump Toro's body in Beggar's Canyon, makes me wonder if Luke and Biggs ever came across any dead bodies.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:34 pm Seeing the Tusken Raiders acting reasonable surprised me. Maybe the hostility varies from clan to clan? With the whole western vibe the show is going for, the Tusken Raiders felt like how Native Americans are portrayed in some westerns like The Outlaw Josey Wales.
That seemed to be the implication from what he said. Given the tone, I could see them having been the original inhabitants of Tatooine, before offworlders settled/mined/whatever the Old Republic was doing here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

These are decent thought out episodes, but I'm getting a little restless with the pacing.
..What mirror universe?