Voyager - Favorite Son

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
bronnt
Officer

Re: Voyager - Favorite Son

Post by bronnt »

Admiral X wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:47 am As I watch this and the fact Harry started a fight for seemingly no reason reminds me of the fact that the thing he got a permanent mark in his record over was continuing to have sex with an alien.
It's also such a weird way to have your character act. If he's utterly convinced they're going to fire, why doesn't he just stop with raising Voyager's shields, once he's got tactical control? I think the point is to show that Harry's got some "genetic memory" implanted which makes him instinctively recognize enemies.

Is the fact that he then goes on to attack without provocation supposed to be a hint that the space succubi are eee-vil? Because the audience REALLY doesn't need any more hints of that, we're going to be suspicious as hell of them right from the start. You need to do more work convincing us that they aren't eee-vil for the twist to be worth anything.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I think the idea was parented by Brothers where Data comonderes the Enterprise in an ultimate ruse with him being as an innocent vessel. Naturally they would go with Harry for this.
..What mirror universe?
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

Fianna wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:48 am I haven't seen the episode, so I'll ask: was it ever brought up that, since these aliens were (supposedly) able to travel to the Alpha Quadrant to impregnate Harry's mom, they might have info on how Voyager can make that same journey? If they had a way to get to Earth and back in less than 70 years, that'd be something our heroes would be very interested. And even if it took them just as long to get to Earth, surely the fact that they'd made the voyage before would mean they might have important info about the route to share with Voyager? Like, "Don't go to this star system; it's full of temporal anomalies that'll mess you up."
And this would be another example of the poor writing and weakness of the mystery. That Janeway and company aren't asking these questions is a clear mechanism to keep things going. Bringing them up would only put a lie to the Turisian story too quickly.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

cdrood wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:56 pm
Fianna wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:48 am I haven't seen the episode, so I'll ask: was it ever brought up that, since these aliens were (supposedly) able to travel to the Alpha Quadrant to impregnate Harry's mom, they might have info on how Voyager can make that same journey? If they had a way to get to Earth and back in less than 70 years, that'd be something our heroes would be very interested. And even if it took them just as long to get to Earth, surely the fact that they'd made the voyage before would mean they might have important info about the route to share with Voyager? Like, "Don't go to this star system; it's full of temporal anomalies that'll mess you up."
And this would be another example of the poor writing and weakness of the mystery. That Janeway and company aren't asking these questions is a clear mechanism to keep things going. Bringing them up would only put a lie to the Turisian story too quickly.
These aliens have the exact same flaw as the slavers from ''37s'' - they are too advanced to be believable for the plot. Given how we know that warp 9.975 is a 75 year journey ONE WAY, then the abduction of Amilia Earhart or the rape of Kim's mum would require something like warp 9.9999. It would also require a source of power equivalent to the ZPM from Stargate given how Voyager can only sustain 9.975 for a few hours at a time at best with the most state of the art warp core there is. Imagine the weapons these people could build with energy like that.

Given this, why are they not off conquering the Kazon or the Talaxians if they want slaves or men? They clearly can do both.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I do wonder, when Chuck was ranting about how the plan doesn't work, what if in universe they said that they did want Harry to be born to one of the near by planet but Harry father went against their wishes and went to Earth, where they thought they never see Harry again.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

clearspira wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:34 pm Given this, why are they not off conquering the Kazon or the Talaxians if they want slaves or men? They clearly can do both.

Maybe they wanted someone competent as slaves?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:02 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:34 pm Given this, why are they not off conquering the Kazon or the Talaxians if they want slaves or men? They clearly can do both.

Maybe they wanted someone competent as slaves?
Lol. I was actually expecting someone to comment on the fact that these women would not want to have sex with Neelix or Kullah, but imo, if the only objection of these women is Kazon and Talaxian incompetence then that really does add to their rapey nature.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I've only seen this one once, as I skipped over it on the few full rewatches I gave this show. It really should have been convincing enough of an episode to tell the writers it was time to let go of Harry, but I guess not convincing enough due to People Magazine.
Dargaron
Officer

Post by Dargaron »

FlynnTaggart wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:50 am
I'm not even sure why the alien Vamazons needed to go full on praying mantis on their mates. It doesn't seem to be nourishment for the women or their babies, they say "genetic material" which presumably means the stuff down below or possibly blood judging from how the other guy was looking like a actual vampire victim. Doesn't make sense to me atleast, either way its a renewable resource that I'm sure you can find ways of increasing "yield". You don't kill a cow to get its milk, these aliens shouldn't kill a dude to get his "genetic material". Heck without the threat of death I'm betting quite a few guys would volunteer and would probably solve the problem, seems like beef jerky was supposed to married to multiple women, maybe having more men around means you don't have to "squeeze the orange dry" so to speak.

A non-trivial number of writers have this problem where they don't understand how easily replicable genetic material is. You see this in X-COM 2. One of the most facepalming parts of a narrative that involves human guerillas defeating interstellar warlords through a series of 6-man squad actions is when it's revealed where the aliens are getting their soldiers: they gather together a bunch of humans, melt them down into "concentrated human genetic material" and then use the resulting sludge to 3d-print minions. Never mind the fact that you could easily siphon off a good chunk of the blood supply for this purpose, but we can duplicate DNA quickly and (relatively) cheaply today.

Another point: the Turisians presumably didn't start as an interstellar species, so how did they reproduce before they were able to pull off their alien abduction gambit?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Why didn't they try to throw Harry dad under the bus?