My Little Pony: Thanksgiving Show 2

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: My Little Pony: Thanksgiving Show 2

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

not sure if this is getting off topic but I have more to say about the flogging joke. I am still disappointed that Chuck still doesn't touch on the problem of villains and even protagonists constantly getting off scott free for horrible actions and this is a problem present in a lot of other kids shows too. what is this supposed to teach kids, didn't any of your parents every say something along the lines of "sorry isn't gonna cut it"?

am I just bias because I grew up with stuff like the original Powerpuff Girls and 101 Dalmatians: The Series where characters who acted out of line got punished all the time?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:50 am not sure if this is getting off topic but I have more to say about the flogging joke. I am still disappointed that Chuck still doesn't touch on the problem of villains and even protagonists constantly getting off scott free for horrible actions and this is a problem present in a lot of other kids shows too. what is this supposed to teach kids, didn't any of your parents every say something along the lines of "sorry isn't gonna cut it"?

am I just bias because I grew up with stuff like the original Powerpuff Girls and 101 Dalmatians: The Series where characters who acted out of line got punished all the time?
When did that happen in power puff girls.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Admiral X wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:37 am Definitely loved the swipe at Blizzard. :lol:
They deserve it and so much more.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Freeverse wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:10 pm I have a really long and complicated speech I like to pull out when people start talking about how terrible The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well is, but I'm tired of that so instead I'll just say that... s'okay. The episode is alright. It's nothing special. It's just kinda... fine.

And I'll fight anyone who disagrees. I'm gonna die on this hill, and history will judge me the victor.
Something I need to asked about the Mare-Do-Well, how was it when Fluttershy was the Mare-Do-Well was she able to fly so fast compare to Rainbow dash when Fluttershy can be shy and less fast.
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:21 am Something I need to asked about the Mare-Do-Well, how was it when Fluttershy was the Mare-Do-Well was she able to fly so fast compare to Rainbow dash when Fluttershy can be shy and less fast.
Why was there a sudden rash of emergencies that never happened before or since? Why did the dam break the second it was tapped? The hallmark of all really lame episodes: it happened because the plot needed it to happen.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I do give it a break since bad stuff can happen randomly, but where is the police or any other authority to help.
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:07 am I do give it a break since bad stuff can happen randomly, but where is the police or any other authority to help.
If you start asking that question, that brings up the question of the effectiveness of the Canterlot Royal Guard in times of crises and woooooo boy .... those guys make Starfleet Security look competent.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:15 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:50 am not sure if this is getting off topic but I have more to say about the flogging joke. I am still disappointed that Chuck still doesn't touch on the problem of villains and even protagonists constantly getting off scott free for horrible actions and this is a problem present in a lot of other kids shows too. what is this supposed to teach kids, didn't any of your parents every say something along the lines of "sorry isn't gonna cut it"?

When did that happen in power puff girls.
plenty of times such as "Moral Decay" and "A Very Special Blossom".
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Fall Weather Friends is actually the first episode of the show I ever saw. I had friends on a board I used to frequent, who started saying things like, "I am a 30 year old man, and I fucking love My Little Pony!" So, I became curious, and looked it up in my cable listings. I found 2 episodes, Fall Weather Friends, and Suited For Success. Set me DVR, and checked it out a few days later.

So, Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack arguing and competing was my first exposure. Overall, I thought it was all right, I could see why some people liked it, but wasn't quite sold. This particular episode certainly wasn't overly girly, focusing on the two tomboys of the bunch. But, if it had been my only exposure, I probably wouldn't not have come back.

Fortunately, in the interest of giving the show a fair shake, I had recorded two episodes. The second one, as I already said, was Suited For Success, an episode about the show's girliest character, singing about sewing dresses for her friends. On paper, that should cause complete revulsion from anyone with a Y chromosome. And yet, in execution, Rarity sold me on the show. I set my DVR to record the series, and stuck with it for all 9 seasons. I've seen all episodes, save the finale, which for some reason my DVR did not record, so I'm waiting for Netflix to get season 9.

On a subject brought up in the review, I am of the opinion that Trans Women should never be allowed to compete in women's sports. No amount of hormones or surgery will alter the longer limbs, greater muscle mass, bone density or lung capacity that come with having that Y Chromosome. Maybe medical science will one day progress to a point where such things can be altered in people who feel they should be the opposite of their biological sex. But that's a long way off.
Freeverse
Officer

Post by Freeverse »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:21 am Something I need to asked about the Mare-Do-Well, how was it when Fluttershy was the Mare-Do-Well was she able to fly so fast compare to Rainbow dash when Fluttershy can be shy and less fast.
She doesn't feel shy due to her identity being concealed, so she goes all-out. Also, at this point Rainbow Dash is off her game, and likely not performing at her peak.
Trinary wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:34 am Why was there a sudden rash of emergencies that never happened before or since? Why did the dam break the second it was tapped? The hallmark of all really lame episodes: it happened because the plot needed it to happen.
Nothing relevant happens in-between emergencies, so that time is skipped. And the dam was going to break either way, so they chose a point in the story that would give it more impact.

This is actually good writing, because stories are generally better when they're interesting, so making things happen at an interesting point in the story and moving quickly past anything uninteresting are more important that making things happen at the exact logical moment they would happen in the reality of the text. My guess is that you have a problem with what this is all in service of, and that makes the narrative conveniences, which exist in most stories, stick out to you. Because that's pretty much how any human brain functions.