JLU - Patriot Act

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Re: JLU - Patriot Act

Post by MightyDavidson »

Coyote's Own wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:42 pm I'm probably saying things that already know but:

The hero in the flashback is Spy Smasher

Captain Nazi was a Captain Marvel (the one who yells SHAZAM) villain

The creature Eiling turns in is the Shaggy Man.
In the comics it's indestructible android in who's body Eiling transferred his mind.
Eling shade the android after the transfer, that why it not Shaggy.
If it's invulnerable, how did Eiling shave it?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

MightyDavidson wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:07 am
If it's invulnerable, how did Eiling shave it?
Grant Morrison decided not to spare page space explaining the tensile strength of the Shaggy Man's main and how difficult it was to get rid of.

Honestly, I think the story really does hold up. It is a great example of Grant Morrison's creative mind being focused by an editor and a deadline. He creates a new superhero team that all have neat ideas to them and the General comes back as part of an Injustice League during his grand final on the book.

Eiling and Superman have a fight on the moon that has a least one great splash page burned in my mind.
Really, Morrison's whole JLA run in the late 90's should be found and read, it is an all time classic that has 100 more ideas in it than any other run of similar length.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

i love this ep and eps like it that show the lesser known heroes being just as good as the Big 3 or the main 7 in this case. if anyone wants to see a show that has lots of lesser knowns, see batman brave and the bold it has good humor,catchy songs,wonderful storylines and it is a truly sweet love letter to silver age wackienss.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

if any wants to know what the vigilante was saying about if he had his guitar look up the ballad of batman on you tube, he was not bragging he was telling a fact :) 8-)
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

This is one of my favorite, if not my most favorite episode of Justice League Unlimited.

This is also in my top five reviews... behind my number one favorite review from SF Debris: Superman Vs. The Elite.

I might have mentioned it before, but I didn't know a lot of what Chuck brought up back then either.

I love this episode because it shows how all the "third string" heroes are still capital "H" Heroes, who put their lives on the line to protect people, and how the episode highlights that the bystanders have the same potential.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

What's interesting is that Chuck's point goes against the spirit of the episode. The Seven Soldiers of Victory are Golden Age heroes. Shining Knight's whole speech to Eiling is about how morals ARE going down the drain with the forwarding of time.

youtu.be/lcKoVeazUqQ

"There it is, the creeping moral decay of the past thousand years."

It's old fashioned heroism, with magic and old fashioned weapons versus a science fiction monster. While I believe Chuck is correct, and the world is slowly getting better, the episode wants us to embrace the idea that civilization is going downhill, and it's only by embracing old ideas that we can be better.
Senko
Redshirt

Post by Senko »

Huh I thought the significance of this lot was just that they're all normal people with the exception of Stargirl or at most have some minor non-combat power. The whole in episode "The only one with powers is you" aimed at Eiling.

I can see a wolfenstein alternate world where "Captain Nazi" is the superhero in comics who defeats the evil supervillain Blaskowitz.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

This is one of my two favourite episodes of JLU. The other being Flash and Substance.

Flash and Substance: Flash is a ray of light. Caring about every person in his city and even the would be villains. No angst or darkness.

Patriot Act: While the message of strive to be better is there. My joy was the whole 'collateral damage' part. The general even said hurting the people was just that. And what is considered acceptable in that area keeps going up. To me collateral damage is what can't be prevented. In Captain America Civil war. The suicide bomb was going to hurt and kill people. Scarlet Witch moved it trying to prevent that, but some still were lost. And that damage is supposed to be highly valued. Too many it seems like the line from Brave Heart. "We have reserves" for firing on your own troops or taking out civilians with the target. And it isn't cool.

The grandmother Chuck let say her peace I think was right about it all. "How many of us do you have to kill, to keep us safe?"
Kekkers
Redshirt

Post by Kekkers »

Nightbeat74 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:27 am
drewder wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:17 pm Am I the only one who thinks captain nazi sounds like another superhero from another universe?
yeah strangely he was from marvel :roll: (still hatein that storyline :twisted: )
No you're mistaken. Captain Nazi IS a DC villain. Marvel doesn't have a direct equivalent.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

Kekkers wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:02 pm
Nightbeat74 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:27 am
drewder wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:17 pm Am I the only one who thinks captain nazi sounds like another superhero from another universe?
yeah strangely he was from marvel :roll: (still hatein that storyline :twisted: )
No you're mistaken. Captain Nazi IS a DC villain. Marvel doesn't have a direct equivalent.
it was a crack at hydracap!