JLU - Patriot Act

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: JLU - Patriot Act

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

My first exposure to this show was the Task Force X episode review on this site. I thought the idea of Shining Knight was hilarious. But those two make a fun duo and they kick ass in this.
..What mirror universe?
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Sir Will wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:43 am I love Chuck's closing statements.
Love to see how that goes down with certain individuals on this forum.
TulipQulqu
Officer

Post by TulipQulqu »

MrL1992 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:12 pm
Oh hey.
Yeah, I was not huge on the closing remarks. Things get better for some and worse for others in all times in history. Just because things seem better or worse from my point of view, and I mean my own life experience not the news stories trying to give signs and portends of what the world is like, does not meant the whole world can be understood thus.
Maybe global warming is going to doom huge numbers or people, or maybe the climate crisis is just the moment humanity needs to clean away the wounds from the past. Maybe the bigoted turns in world politics are the death gasps of old monsters, or they are the first screams of some fresh hell.
Maybe it is going to be good for the rest of the lives of everyone who sees this message, and an instant after we're all gone the nukes start falling due to computer systems having hardware failure.
Basically, until my estimates of how like I am to get nuked to death on a random day in 2029 are the same as what people would have given in 1929, I am pretty sure we took a wrong turn somewhere.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

They aren't too shabby.

It's fun to assume that SF Debree is a lit comp professor or something because he said he's a teacher I believe and he's very insightful... but I think it'd be further humorous if he just turned out to be like a pottery teacher or something.
..What mirror universe?
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:49 pm They aren't too shabby.

It's fun to assume that SF Debree is a lit comp professor or something because he said he's a teacher I believe and he's very insightful... but I think it'd be further humorous if he just turned out to be like a pottery teacher or something.
i have read that he was a teacher but had to quit do to health or family issues :cry:
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

MrL1992 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:12 pm
if anyones lookin' for a website with happy news look up the good news network,it is filled with the good stuff the talking heads will not let you see. :lol: :D :) ;) :mrgreen:
Senko
Redshirt

Post by Senko »

Nealithi wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:19 am This is one of my two favourite episodes of JLU. The other being Flash and Substance.

Flash and Substance: Flash is a ray of light. Caring about every person in his city and even the would be villains. No angst or darkness.

Patriot Act: While the message of strive to be better is there. My joy was the whole 'collateral damage' part. The general even said hurting the people was just that. And what is considered acceptable in that area keeps going up. To me collateral damage is what can't be prevented. In Captain America Civil war. The suicide bomb was going to hurt and kill people. Scarlet Witch moved it trying to prevent that, but some still were lost. And that damage is supposed to be highly valued. Too many it seems like the line from Brave Heart. "We have reserves" for firing on your own troops or taking out civilians with the target. And it isn't cool.

The grandmother Chuck let say her peace I think was right about it all. "How many of us do you have to kill, to keep us safe?"
I didn't like that bit she uses all she has to shove the bomb up and away from the crowded marketplace which accidentally kills some people when it goes off and damages the skyscraper. For which she gets made out to be a villainous monster who needs to be put under house arrest so people feel safe.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Senko wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:36 am
Nealithi wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:19 am This is one of my two favourite episodes of JLU. The other being Flash and Substance.

Flash and Substance: Flash is a ray of light. Caring about every person in his city and even the would be villains. No angst or darkness.

Patriot Act: While the message of strive to be better is there. My joy was the whole 'collateral damage' part. The general even said hurting the people was just that. And what is considered acceptable in that area keeps going up. To me collateral damage is what can't be prevented. In Captain America Civil war. The suicide bomb was going to hurt and kill people. Scarlet Witch moved it trying to prevent that, but some still were lost. And that damage is supposed to be highly valued. Too many it seems like the line from Brave Heart. "We have reserves" for firing on your own troops or taking out civilians with the target. And it isn't cool.

The grandmother Chuck let say her peace I think was right about it all. "How many of us do you have to kill, to keep us safe?"
I didn't like that bit she uses all she has to shove the bomb up and away from the crowded marketplace which accidentally kills some people when it goes off and damages the skyscraper. For which she gets made out to be a villainous monster who needs to be put under house arrest so people feel safe.
If we accept she a mutant, and let's be honest they will make that retcon, the world probably thought she was and just needed the excuse. The fact that any avengers doesn't slap Ross for suggesting it when he probably got more people kill trying to kidnap Bruce is a bit much.
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Wait, wasn't there a brief one-shot comic of the nazi scientist that created a super-serum close to doomsday's dna that would have killed sup's of what we saw on the episode? I do remember the scientist that tried to create a Doomsday-clone but what was the faction of Nazis he was associated with?
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

FaxModem1 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:13 am What's interesting is that Chuck's point goes against the spirit of the episode. The Seven Soldiers of Victory are Golden Age heroes. Shining Knight's whole speech to Eiling is about how morals ARE going down the drain with the forwarding of time.

"There it is, the creeping moral decay of the past thousand years."

It's old fashioned heroism, with magic and old fashioned weapons versus a science fiction monster. While I believe Chuck is correct, and the world is slowly getting better, the episode wants us to embrace the idea that civilization is going downhill, and it's only by embracing old ideas that we can be better.

Sure he says that, but it's kind of directly contradicted by the episode. Both in how the civilians react, how the story Shining Knight is about the time he was ordered to wipe out an entire village, and how the villains power comes from old timey Nazi occult-science.

I really don't see how the episode can be seen to be about embracing old ideas. What old ideas are being advocated for? Not wiping out village? Cause that's a new idea. Not an old one. Following your morals over orders? Nope, also a new idea. A really new idea.

Shining knight show's he hardcore here, but he's also every old man whining about "kids these days" ever and just as wrong.
Last edited by TrueMetis on Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.