What was the point of Captain Phasma?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Artabax
Officer

Re: What was the point of Captain Phasma?

Post by Artabax »

she is probably the most underused of all Star Wars characters in terms of build-up to payoff.
More underused than Boba Fett??? More underused than Darth Maul???
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

To be fair Maul got to shine in both Clone Wars and Rebels before being cut down by Obi-Wan in they final duel but Boba Fett has relied on books and comic books to be fleshed out just like Captain Phasma.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Artabax wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:09 pm
she is probably the most underused of all Star Wars characters in terms of build-up to payoff.
More underused than Boba Fett??? More underused than Darth Maul???
Boba Fett was never intended to be a character though. He is one step above an NPC. All of the backstory that would come to define him later on was never intended. And as for Darth Maul, again he was never intended to be anything more than Palpatine's Oddjob.

Phasma on the other hand was introduced as being intertwined with Finn.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I'm psyched for them bringing back Maul.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:53 am I'm psyched for them bringing back Maul.
Umm. (Spoilers for TPM...) He died.

Do you mean in prequel stuff like Solo? That was weird. It makes Han a lot older than I thought he was. I guess Corellians age differently.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Some one hasn't been watching animated Star Wars shows (or even Chuck's reviews of Clone Wars) because Maul survived TPM. Yes, it's canon because both Clone Wars and Rebels are part of that.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Right, but season 4 of Rebels wraps up the Maul epilogue in a way that’d be hard to walk back, so the joke still works I’d say.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:09 pm Some one hasn't been watching animated Star Wars shows (or even Chuck's reviews of Clone Wars) because Maul survived TPM. Yes, it's canon because both Clone Wars and Rebels are part of that.
I've only seen the films, and now The Mandalorian.

And saying that those shows want to pretend Maul somehow survived TPM is enough to tell me they can be safely ignore for being stupid.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

You might think it's stupid but that doesn't change anything to those of us that don't share that opinion.

Besides if you can't accept that Maul survived how can you accept that Vader survived Mustafar because they survived for same reason. They were kept alive by The Force because of they anger and hatred.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:08 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:53 am I'm psyched for them bringing back Maul.
Umm. (Spoilers for TPM...) He died.

Do you mean in prequel stuff like Solo? That was weird. It makes Han a lot older than I thought he was. I guess Corellians age differently.
Let's try to keep this a spoiler free thread for people that haven't seen the movie btw.

As far as time distinction this is a more frustrated universe to follow based on how stories have been produced including aspects of attention to detail. With the Mandalorian I believe I've heard that it takes place after Return of the Jedi from matters of a lot of weeks to a few years. Still though I'd be scared to wager on it given the nature of Star Wars stories to drop you in the middle of stuff in abrupt manner intentionally.

Also. Just because Maul died doesn't mean he couldn't come back as a force ghost just sayin'.
..What mirror universe?