The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

The Mando works with Ran...aka Santa Clause the Bounty Hunter.

I'm not familiar with Bill Burr. Never seen his standup, or seen Breaking Bad or watched F is for Family, so I've got impression on the guy, but he did a nice job here.

I won't lie, the joke about Imperial marksmanship got a chuckle out of me.

I don't mind Canto Bight being mentioned, as it's not a bad location, despite the atrocity it comes from.

Nice to see Clancy Brown again, love that guy. Weird to see him in heavy makeup, but it's always a joy to see him in live action like in Highlander, Shawshank Redemption, and he was the best part of Pet Sematary 2.

Hey, a live-action Twi'lek in the Disney era that's not flesh-colored! Ran must really be Santa, because it's a Christmas miracle!

Liked the mood and writing of the scene where they discuss Mando's helmet, but them saying that 'they're all dead' makes me wonder what's happened to Bo-Katan and the others on Mandalore.

I legit laughed at Mayfeld asking if The Child was Mando and Xi'an's baby.

Man, the child must be really durable, the way he's been dropped in this episode and the last one.
Liked the designs of these guard droids, look like hybrids of tactical droids and classic B1 Battle Droids. Mando taking them out was cool, especially using the rope to decapitate one of them.

The standoff was very tense and well directed, if short.

Was it me, or did the floating droids look R1 model from ANH?

The betrayal probably should have been obvious to me, also I liked the touch of the droid's oil spurting out like blood.

Mando using the old divide and conquer routine was nice. How the hell did the child get up the ladder? Then again, Yoda's good at jumping, so maybe the child is too.

Man, Qin is one hell of a sociopath.

Holy shit, Burg took fire to the face and withstood it like a freaking Terminator. Then again, Clancy Brown is an immortal.

I loved Mando going all slasher villain on Xi'an and Mayfeld, that was great.

Liked Mando living up to the code of honor, yet still getting his revenge.

Oh hi Dave. But didn't the new Republic demilitarize itself or some stupid shit? Or are they just going to do the smart thing and ignore that.

Overall, a great episode, much better than the last two, which were solid episodes but nothing to write home about.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The Child is a lot like a cat. He can teleport, but only when nobody is looking.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:18 pm That was a great episode. I'm really loving this show.

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:18 am This seems to be the least divisive Disney Star Wars so far. Even more so than Rogue One.
It's nice. I'm hoping Disney gets the message from this.
Hopefully it doesn't just lead to the Disney board deciding this means Rise of Skywalker needed Baby Palpatine. But yeah, this show seems to be making a lot of fans happy. It's the only Star Wars my wife has watched in decades, and she got me to watch it last week.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:25 am Hopefully it doesn't just lead to the Disney board deciding this means Rise of Skywalker needed Baby Palpatine. But yeah, this show seems to be making a lot of fans happy. It's the only Star Wars my wife has watched in decades, and she got me to watch it last week.
Yeah, for the last two weeks I'm starting to worry as Steve Urkel takes over the (public perception of the) show here. I've seen this kind of thing happen before, and if you asked the web right now you'd think The Child is the only character on the show, despite the strengths of the story so far being far more varied than that.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:30 am Oh hi Dave. But didn't the new Republic demilitarize itself or some stupid shit? Or are they just going to do the smart thing and ignore that.
It might not had happened yet during events of Mando but it will happen because of FO having influence and supporters in New Republic Senate. It's that event that got Leia discraced for being Darth Vader's daughter when she tried to fight against that leading up to her creating The Resistance to fight against FO.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:17 pm
ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:30 am Oh hi Dave. But didn't the new Republic demilitarize itself or some stupid shit? Or are they just going to do the smart thing and ignore that.
It might not had happened yet during events of Mando but it will happen because of FO having influence and supporters in New Republic Senate. It's that event that got Leia discraced for being Darth Vader's daughter when she tried to fight against that leading up to her creating The Resistance to fight against FO.
That's a pretty decent headcanon. Would be nice if they put that in the show to explain what the movies haven't bothered even though it's pretty crucial to their setting.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

That is in one of Disney era novels. I know you don't care about those but it's canon. Not headcanon.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:06 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:25 am Hopefully it doesn't just lead to the Disney board deciding this means Rise of Skywalker needed Baby Palpatine. But yeah, this show seems to be making a lot of fans happy. It's the only Star Wars my wife has watched in decades, and she got me to watch it last week.
Yeah, for the last two weeks I'm starting to worry as Steve Urkel takes over the (public perception of the) show here. I've seen this kind of thing happen before, and if you asked the web right now you'd think The Child is the only character on the show, despite the strengths of the story so far being far more varied than that.
I'd be worried about that if it wasn't a Favreau project. At this point he's pretty much untouchable within Disney.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Favreau is like the Socrates of Disney. JJ Abrams is his Plato.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:59 pm I'd be worried about that if it wasn't a Favreau project. At this point he's pretty much untouchable within Disney.
That's a good reason. Let's hope it stays on track!