The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by Winter »

(sigh) So... The Leaks were true. Yup, remember that plot synopsis that even I said to take with a grain of salt because it could just be completely fake? Well, turns out this was a salt free meal. Palpatine is indeed the villain behind everything, Kylo is redeemed after a chat with the ghost of his father (and not even really his father just his mental projection of Han), Rey is the granddaughter of Palpatine and there is a fleet of Death Star Destroyers.

And it's BAD. The plot is convoluted and the characters range from unlikable jerks to completely forgettable. One of the biggest problems with the Disney Sequel Trilogy as a whole is how it tends to render everything that came before it completely pointless and ROS is no exception as it not only renders the Original Trilogy pointless, like the other entries in this Trilogy, but also renders the Last Jedi pointless.

Snoke's death, gets replaced by Palpatine and turned out to be created by Palpatine (not a clone of Palpatine he just, made him... I don't it's some kind of Sith magic science :roll: ) which also renders Kylo becoming Supreme Leader of the First Order pointless as he's now working for Palpatine. Rey's parent's being revealed to be no one is undone due to her father being the son of Palpatine so that twist went nowhere. Finn and Rose, breakup. Poe leading the Resistance, spends most of his time on adventures with Rey and Finn. Looking for Luke to train Rey, Leia is now a Jedi and is teaching Rey the ways of the Jedi.

And there's also the fact that, just like with The Force Awakens and TLJ, ROS is a retread of Return of the Jedi. Honestly if you saw the Original Trilogy then there's no need to watch TDST as it's just the same story. You're not really watching what happens Happily Ever After you're watching TOT with slightly altered dialogue and less interesting characters.

I honestly say skip this one. Go watch the Prequel Trilogy or TOT, or Frozen II, or Read the Thrawn Trilogy. Hell, go play Knights of the Old Republic or watch Chuck's reviews of it and it's MMORPG spin off The Old Republic. Check out Dark Empire as ROS actually made me appreciate it more as I felt there was actual effort put into the comic and at least it gave an explanation as to how Palpatine survived and doesn't needlessly kill off the Original Trio for shock value.

If you've seen it and enjoy, more power to you, and I mean that sincerely. But for me, this has now joined the ranks of Legacy of the Force as my least favorite Star Wars Story.
Starbug
Officer

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by Starbug »

Well, I actually enjoyed it, but that's okay, because the world would be a terribly boring place if we all liked the same things.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Well, if you needed more evidence to the fact of how truely Johnson fucked everything up, here you are. All the twists and turns he did in order to subvert expectations, undone. GG

As for the rest? What a clusterfuck.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

I knew the leaks had to be true. More and more footage proved it. What a disaster.

Here's my review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqVY1YemHLc

And I look forward to the fall out and blame game very much indeed.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

They flop now?

They flop now.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

So, here's the ending: Luke's dead, Leia's dead, Kylo dies in a heroic sacrifice/redemption (meaning the Skywalker line is extinct), Palpatine's SUPER dead, the First Order is properly gone, the SITH are properly gone, and the Skywalker that Rises is... Rey, who adopts the name in Luke's, Leia's, and Kylo's honor.

No, I haven't seen it, I got that off TV Tropes. Honestly, it could have ended a LOT worse.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:33 am Honestly, it could have ended a LOT worse.
Sincere question, how? The Original Trio is dead, their one and only heir is dead, Anakin's sacrifice was pretty much pointless as his one good deed was rendered pointless because the Emperor Survived and destroyed the Republic.

On top of that, as TV Tropes pointed out There's no indication as to who is going to be running the galaxy now; are they going to try a democracy again? And will they be able to ensure that this time they don't make the same mistakes as their predecessors? Nor do we have any inkling as to whether Rey will be able to prevent the same thing happening to the Jedi. I mean Luke, Han and Leia screwed everything up and arguably made things worse in the end so who's to say that Rey and the others won't follow suit?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Winter wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:21 am
ProfessorDetective wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:33 am Honestly, it could have ended a LOT worse.
Sincere question, how? The Original Trio is dead, their one and only heir is dead, Anakin's sacrifice was pretty much pointless as his one good deed was rendered pointless because the Emperor Survived and destroyed the Republic.

On top of that, as TV Tropes pointed out There's no indication as to who is going to be running the galaxy now; are they going to try a democracy again? And will they be able to ensure that this time they don't make the same mistakes as their predecessors? Nor do we have any inkling as to whether Rey will be able to prevent the same thing happening to the Jedi. I mean Luke, Han and Leia screwed everything up and arguably made things worse in the end so who's to say that Rey and the others won't follow suit?
I meant OUT of universe. They could have written a worse ending. In terms of the narrative... Eh, they'll figure it out, they always do, somehow.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Terry Pratchett had a fun rant about endings (I forget the exact book but it was one of the Granny Weatherwax ones). The only way to have a happy ending is to never find out, or even ask, what happened next. Eventually something new comes up, everyone dies, and the dance between energy and entropy spins on to its inevitable conclusion.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Seems to me like JJ Abrams gave something to vocal minority that complained about TLJ what they wanted. They didn't like Snoke so he made Palpatine true big bad. They didn't like that Rey's parents were nobodies so he made her father son on Palpatine. I guess it's true that you can't please everyone.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard