The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by Winter »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:24 am I meant OUT of universe. They could have written a worse ending. In terms of the narrative... Eh, they'll figure it out, they always do, somehow.
I meant OUT of Universe too. They've killed off the Original Trio for what seems like Shock Value and the person now carrying the name Skywalker is a someone who is so bland that it took 3 movies for her to have an actual backstory. I honestly think this is as bad as Legacy of the Force, both needlessly killed off beloved characters, both are loaded with padding, and both don't seem to know what to do with their lead characters.

But I do agree they will figure things out. Series becomes great then become get stale but sooner or later they become fresh again. Sooner of later someone is going to make a story that regains the good will of both fans and critics with a story that captures what made the series so beloved to begin with. My bet, as I've said before, somewhere down the line someone is going to start adapting the Original EU, likely starting with an film adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy, which will then be followed by a TV series of adaptations of other EU books and comics along with relaunching old comics and novels not suited for the screen and likely remaking games series like Jedi Knights with fan favorite Kyle Katarn or Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2.

This isn't wishful thinking, it's GOING To Happen because it always Happens. Someone always wants to retell the old favorites and sooner or later someone gets it so right that it gets everybody on board for what is to come next. After all, that IS what happen with Star Wars. After Return of the Jedi, the series went into stasis with no real stories coming out and then came TTT and we entered into a something of a Star Wars Renaissance, with new films, TV series, comics, novels and games coming out with many of them turning out to be classics that ended up shaping Pop Culture itself.

Now, Star Wars is starting to head back to stasis with the films going into hiatus, only a handful of shows being made, (and even getting cancelled). I give it about 5 or 10 years before we see Star Wars pick up steam again. :D
Mecha82 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:42 am Seems to me like JJ Abrams gave something to vocal minority that complained about TLJ what they wanted. They didn't like Snoke so he made Palpatine true big bad. They didn't like that Rey's parents were nobodies so he made her father son on Palpatine. I guess it's true that you can't please everyone.
I agree, I may not like TLJ but I am annoyed that ROS rendered it completely pointless, though I'm not that surprised. TLJ had a notable drop in it's second weekend and Solo was the first film in the series to bomb. Keep in mind that The Mandalorian was suppose to be a film originally but was refitted for the small screen after Solo and I think that was for the best.

It's interesting, most people, myself included, see Mandalorian as a truly good show (not sure if I can call it great it but I am enjoying it) and it's not really a typical Star Wars story. It's more like a spaghetti western like the Good, the Bad and the Ugly with a slower pace, little to no dialogue but shot more like Mad Max Fury Road with a lot of Center of Frame shots instead of the more outlandish over the top slow-mo shots of TDST.

I think the reason so many feel that TM feels the most like Star Wars because it has a more old school way of thinking. A New Hope is a classic adventure/heroes journey, The Prequels were like a cross between a historical piece and a poltical thriller, Heir to the Empire was more of like a Spy Thriller and The Empire Strikes Back was a character study film.

For me, TDST is more like a nostalgia bait story. One of Awakens most notable videos was how the film was going to be using more practical effects and during a convention introduced the BB-8 prop and had it interact with R2 with the new Trilogy heroes getting almost no interviews, as far as I can remember.

You can never please everyone and I think that's really the main issue with the Disney Era as a whole that is exemplified in ROS. All three chapters of TDST is made towards the response. There plots are basically that of the Original Trilogy, Awakens was Hope with updated effects, TLJ tried to be more unpredictable while still trying to be like Empire and ROS tried to undo what many disliked about TLJ while also trying to be as much like Jedi as possible.

If TLJ is Batman v Superman then ROS is Justice League. It tries to please everyone and ends up pleasing no one.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Mecha82 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:42 am Seems to me like JJ Abrams gave something to vocal minority that complained about TLJ what they wanted. They didn't like Snoke so he made Palpatine true big bad. They didn't like that Rey's parents were nobodies so he made her father son on Palpatine. I guess it's true that you can't please everyone.
Bad writing rarely pleases anyone.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Nothing in this movie made any goddamn sense, but I enjoyed myself while watching it. They actually gave the new cast personalities this time, it's amazing. Palpatine having something like four victory conditions and swapping between them as soon as one failed was pretty cool too; I especially got a good laugh out of when Rey and Ben dramatically team up and he just one-shots them with Life Drain.

I really hope they get James Luceno to cover the post-Endor era from Palpatine's perspective the way he did the pre-Phantom Menace era in Plagueis. Should be a hoot trying to make up actual explanations for what the hell's going on.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Palpatine swapping between victory conditions did give nice reminder that he was mastermind during PT era playing both sides from very beginning. During OT we didn't really see him as that like we did during PT and Clone Wars.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

The leaks were true-all of it and I wish they weren't. I can't stay for long but my feeling was this movie was terrible and in some places just dumb.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Rey by the end is so blatantly a Bastila clone in appearance (they even gave her a yellow saber) that I'm honestly curious if her mother was supposed to be a Shan. Uniting Revan's bloodline with his own to breed a new host body seems like a very Sheev thing to do.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Have to step in here away from my three-week break. Legends is N Canon now (even though it never was). It's not part of the M Canon's universe. So no, despite Kennedy's lip service to maybe "recanonizing" the KOTOR games, there's no proof it's part of M Canon as of now.

And yeah, that's my term for the new material. M Canon (short for Mouse Canon). The older canon can be considered L Canon (or Lucas Canon).
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:03 pm Rey by the end is so blatantly a Bastila clone in appearance (they even gave her a yellow saber) that I'm honestly curious if her mother was supposed to be a Shan. Uniting Revan's bloodline with his own to breed a new host body seems like a very Sheev thing to do.
If that's case then that will make me like that change even more. Well played JJ Abrams, well played.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:03 pm Rey by the end is so blatantly a Bastila clone in appearance (they even gave her a yellow saber) that I'm honestly curious if her mother was supposed to be a Shan. Uniting Revan's bloodline with his own to breed a new host body seems like a very Sheev thing to do.
All this film really confirmed was that Sheev had sex and fathered a son. Which I am still kind of wondering when it happen. Like was it back in his Senate days or was it during the time he looked like the Grim Reaper as the Emperor?

Not only that but killing off the Skywalker line was dumb. I felt like that was Disney's way of making sure that nothing from the old films would come back.

The Princess Leia scenes felt so off. I know that in real life Carrie Fisher is dead but they had to have CG her into those backgrounds and had everyone act around that. Also, the lines really did feel like Leia was high the whole time. I get that she has passed away (back in 2016), but honestly, they should've just said that she had died in the very first part of the film and then have her come back in CG Flashback (which is what they did do, btw).

Another issue would've just make Rey into Leia's and Han's long lost child. Have a story about how they gave her to Luke to be trained and then later have Luke place her in the care of a random couple- because Snoke was trying to kill her. Then have that bounty hunter kill her guardians, have them drop her off at Jukku, have her believing that they were her parents, etc.... Not only that but make Palpatine Anakin's father (which is something that was a fan theory since the Prequel days). This way the Skywalker line isn't dead (like what it is in the movie) and does not have Rey and Kylo/Ben Solo kiss at the end.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:48 pm Have to step in here away from my three-week break. Legends is N Canon now (even though it never was). It's not part of the M Canon's universe. So no, despite Kennedy's lip service to maybe "recanonizing" the KOTOR games, there's no proof it's part of M Canon as of now.

And yeah, that's my term for the new material. M Canon (short for Mouse Canon). The older canon can be considered L Canon (or Lucas Canon).
Everyone is going to assume the M stands for "Movie" and the L for "Legends" unless you spell it out every time.