The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by Yukaphile »

I meant "Mouse" Canon. The mouse is the prominent symbol of Disney. So that includes the six movies as a base, Clone Wars, and anything else they brought over to "canon" and are building off of. "L" Canon stands for Lucas Canon, since it's that era. The movies would be G Canon for L Canon, and K Canon for M Canon. Then there's T Canon, then S Canon, and so on in both. That is my new system for how I describe each canon. Just because they say L Canon is all N Canon does not make it so. There's still material that is N Canon in L Canon.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

That just makes it more complicated than is necessary.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Why? Because it's space fantasy? "Don't ruin the magic?" No, it keeps the older fans on board, says what they care about still matters, is still part of the official franchise, without actually disregarding it completely as they move on to new things, dude. Come on. Do you dislike midi-chlorians too? I like 'em. Yet many people complained about 'em for that reason. "It's too technical, it's ruining the magic!" That's a weird inverse to how some people seem to treat Star Wars, ignoring the older EU. "It's magic." Or "don't take it too seriously."
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:05 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:48 pm Have to step in here away from my three-week break. Legends is N Canon now (even though it never was). It's not part of the M Canon's universe. So no, despite Kennedy's lip service to maybe "recanonizing" the KOTOR games, there's no proof it's part of M Canon as of now.

And yeah, that's my term for the new material. M Canon (short for Mouse Canon). The older canon can be considered L Canon (or Lucas Canon).
Everyone is going to assume the M stands for "Movie" and the L for "Legends" unless you spell it out every time.
Yeah srs Yuka.

Get. It. To. Gether.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The simple fact is the new canon needs a better name. Especially since it's destined to have another reboot anyway that renders everything we've seen from 2014 to whenever pointless. I've given my thoughts on this several times. It's pointless to go over it again. Yet this is part of the reason I've pulled back recently. I'm not welcome here (if some idiot is listing me on Hatedom as a toxic fan when I have never said people who love the new material are bad fans or resorted to attacks on the actors) and it's getting stressful to be dismissed at every freaking turn. It is clear there still needs to be more time in between that. So don't you dare tell me you don't appreciate the break you have had from me. Carry on as usual.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:02 pm The simple fact is the new canon needs a better name. Especially since it's destined to have another reboot anyway that renders everything we've seen from 2014 to whenever pointless. I've given my thoughts on this several times. It's pointless to go over it again. Yet this is part of the reason I've pulled back recently. I'm not welcome here (if some idiot is listing me on Hatedom as a toxic fan when I have never said people who love the new material are bad fans or resorted to attacks on the actors) and it's getting stressful to be dismissed at every freaking turn. It is clear there still needs to be more time in between that. So don't you dare tell me you don't appreciate the break you have had from me. Carry on as usual.
I just wish you'd be a little more enthusiastic upon return.
..What mirror universe? ;/
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

You get dismissed because you openly boast about never having watched the material you complain about. I honestly don't understand how this is confusing to you. You could make that dismissal go away and replace it with a fully informed opinion you can actually back up in one night if you wanted to.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Well the movie is : Skywalker bloodline is gone. Palpatine's bloodline is going strong in the end. He won in the end even if he is dead.

That kinda bugged me a bit. Maybe I missed a bit of dialogue saying she renounced her lineage. It's small, but still.

Oh and Palpatine needs to be killed so he can take over Reys body but then Rey later kills him and nothing happens. Did I miss anything? Someone block his spirit? Did those Force Spirits block him?
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Just got back from watching the film.

My Review:
It is true what they say in the entertainment industry - you can be good, you can be bad, but you cannot be boring. And that applies here. Because y'know, I have just spent two years moaning about TLJ. I have spent twenty years complaining about the Prequels. But I know in my heart that I will barely ever talk about this film again. It is a generic, predictable action flick with a Star Wars paintjob. It has a love story that I have no investment in because of how poorly executed it has been. The C3-PO plot was irrelevant as he had a back-up, its whole point being for some rather flat jokes. We could have erased the whole thing. And it ends with an insult beyond any that Rian Johnson delivered for now there are no blood Skywalkers. There are no blood Organas. There are no blood Solos. But there is a blood Palpatine. And she can stand there with triumphant music blaring calling herself Skywalker all she wants: she isn't. The destruction of the ending of the OT is now complete.

I am never going to watch another Star Wars film with these characters in it or made by Abrams.

Some observations:
1) Rey has now digivolved beyond being a Mary Sue. She is now Heracles. She is basically a demi-god toiling through her labours, and she might as well be the daughter of Zeus given Palpatine's power set.

2) The Last Jedi has been unofficially retconned. The Rise of Skywalker comes off as a sequel to The Force Awakens and nothing more. Luke is heroic again, Holdo's light speed jump was given a handwave, they gave Kylo back his helmet, Rey actually has a personality again (kind of), we see the Knights Of Ren (kind of), Hux is no longer a comedic character (kind of). If this is not proof that TLJ failed in the eyes of Disney then I don't know what does.

3) I am going to say that given how we have only ever Force Ghosts interact with the living world on the Jedi planet (Yoda's lightning, Luke lifting an X-Wing), then there is probably something special about said planet. Another TLJ retcon? Perhaps. But at least it makes sense.

4) Rose and Finn have been relegated to third rate characters. She was barely in it and he exists now just to shoot and go ''woo'' whilst doing it. And three films in, despite Rey showing no interest in him, Finn STILL loves her more than any other woman alive. What happened to the brewing relationship between him and Rose? We know the answer because I have already said it - TLJ has been unofficially retconned. Finn loves Rey, because that is what he did in TFA.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:23 pm That just makes it more complicated than is necessary.
Agreed, no is going to understand any of that in conversation, especially if you are a newbie to the forum.