The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by hammerofglass »

They never did anything with Finn being force sensitive either. Unnamed extra kid had no chance.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:21 pm
MrL1992 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:32 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:18 am Oh, and by the way, I have another observation to add to my list and yet one more clue that TLJ has been retconned: Broom Boy. What the F- happened to Broom Boy? I guess like all things concerning Rose and Finn between then and now we will never know as they are no longer characters of substance in this film.
'Broom Boy' as you call him, was never meant to go anywhere. He was there to show the effect of Luke's legend spreading as well as further the idea that the Force flows through everyone.
Rating as one of the most pointless subplots in all of Star Wars. Why? Because finding random children who are one with the Force is apparently so commonplace that Qui Gon was carrying around a blood sampler inside his robe for just that occasion. One of only five things we know that he took to his meeting to resolve what he believed to be a simple trade dispute: his lightsaber, his communicator, his grappling hook, and his rebreather. Clearly someone who travels so sparse and for all he knew was only going for a chat and a coffee would have left the blood sampler behind if it wasn't used much?
And if that wasn't enough we also have the children of the Jedi temple who are clearly just a random bunch of kids.

I would love to know if Rian actually watched the other films in the series, he does after all freely admit to not being a fan.
The scene was primarily there to show the spread of Luke's legend. Showing the kid using tbe force was more a little reminder, one that Rey nor Luke were 'The Last Jedi'.

Honestly, I don't know what I find more absurd, that some think that kid was supposed to be something or that the story behind Luke's old lightsaber being recovered was dome unresolved plot point.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:21 pm Because finding random children who are one with the Force is apparently so commonplace that Qui Gon was carrying around a blood sampler inside his robe for just that occasion. One of only five things we know that he took to his meeting to resolve what he believed to be a simple trade dispute: his lightsaber, his communicator, his grappling hook, and his rebreather. Clearly someone who travels so sparse and for all he knew was only going for a chat and a coffee would have left the blood sampler behind if it wasn't used much?
Yeah, everyone knows how common it is to be gassed while you're negotiating a trade deal, so it's always a great idea to bring a rebreather along, or how often you need to negotiate an obstacle course to get favorable terms. Clearly he forecast the future before he packed, or he is a master of the Force Ass-Pull.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

MrL1992 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:12 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:18 am Oh, and by the way, I have another observation to add to my list and yet one more clue that TLJ has been retconned: Broom Boy. What the F- happened to Broom Boy? I guess like all things concerning Rose and Finn between then and now we will never know as they are no longer characters of substance in this film.
'Broom Boy' as you call him, was never meant to go anywhere. He was there to show the effect of Luke's legend spreading as well as further the idea that the Force flows through everyone.
Rating as one of the most pointless subplots in all of Star Wars. Why? Because finding random children who are one with the Force is apparently so commonplace that Qui Gon was carrying around a blood sampler inside his robe for just that occasion. One of only five things we know that he took to his meeting to resolve what he believed to be a simple trade dispute: his lightsaber, his communicator, his grappling hook, and his rebreather. Clearly someone who travels so sparse and for all he knew was only going for a chat and a coffee would have left the blood sampler behind if it wasn't used much?
And if that wasn't enough we also have the children of the Jedi temple who are clearly just a random bunch of kids.

I would love to know if Rian actually watched the other films in the series, he does after all freely admit to not being a fan.
The scene was primarily there to show the spread of Luke's legend. Showing the kid using tbe force was more a little reminder, one that Rey nor Luke were 'The Last Jedi'.

Honestly, I don't know what I find more absurd, that some think that kid was supposed to be something or that the story behind Luke's old lightsaber being recovered was dome unresolved plot point.
I think clearspira's asking about what it entailed for this movie, in which case I'm not sure it really did.

The first thing I thought of was Lando showing up to save the day, both like in A New Hope with Solo at the Death Star and like himself in Return of the Jedi. It's similar in that it shows how rebellion is in all of us, like how Luke was trying to talk about the force in Last Jedi. Really though I'm not sure where the Mahayana Buddhist awakening plot went in Rise of Skywalker.
..What mirror universe? ;/
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Gee, i'm sorry for wanting to know how a weapon that fell to the bottom of a thousand foot drop ended up half a galaxy away in an old lady's treasure chest to be conveniently found by Rey Palpatine for her adventure.

I guess the Force did it. Yeah. Y'know, it makes plotting so much easier when you have a literal ''A Wizard Did It'' button. What was once farce in an old episode of The Simpsons is now an actual and apparently celebrated writing technique.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:16 pm

I think clearspira's asking about what it entailed for this movie, in which case I'm not sure it really did.

The first thing I thought of was Lando showing up to save the day, both like in A New Hope with Solo at the Death Star and like himself in Return of the Jedi. It's similar in that it shows how rebellion is in all of us, like how Luke was trying to talk about the force in Last Jedi. Really though I'm not sure where the Mahayana Buddhist awakening plot went in Rise of Skywalker.
Exactly. Thank you. There are three Force users of any significant note at the start of the film: Rey, Kylo, Palpatine. There is only one Force user of any significant note at the end of the film: Rey Palpatine. I'm not counting Leia because her role is nothing but badly done cross cuts of old footage where it is very clear that she is not actually there. Side note: the most selfish thing Rian Johnson ever did was not killing off Leia in TLJ. Fisher died during production; it was obvious that having Leia live and Luke die was the wrong choice. But hey, it Subverted Our Expectations :roll:
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

clearspira wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:53 pm Side note: the most selfish thing Rian Johnson ever did was not killing off Leia in TLJ. Fisher died during production; it was obvious that having Leia live and Luke die was the wrong choice. But hey, it Subverted Our Expectations :roll:
Do keep in mind that, as I understand it, Johnson and Fisher were friends and killing off the character your friend played who just died would be hard for anyone to do, never mind someone who is being told to finish a film in a limited amount of time.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Gee, i'm sorry for wanting to know how a weapon that fell to the bottom of a thousand foot drop ended up half a galaxy away in an old lady's treasure chest to be conveniently found by Rey Palpatine for her adventure.
But what would it have added to any of these movies beyond how a lightsaber got from one place to another? There are tons of potential, mundane explanations

]
Exactly. Thank you. There are three Force users of any significant note at the start of the film: Rey, Kylo, Palpatine. There is only one Force user of any significant note at the end of the film: Rey Palpatine. I'm not counting Leia because her role is nothing but badly done cross cuts of old footage where it is very clear that she is not actually there. Side note: the most selfish thing Rian Johnson ever did was not killing off Leia in TLJ. Fisher died during production; it was obvious that having Leia live and Luke die was the wrong choice. But hey, it Subverted Our Expectations
Well, yeah, of course it adds nothing to Episode IX but that's on Abrams! He follow throufh on a ton of things in TLJ, a big part of my dislike of TROS.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

I feel there's one big problem with that. How do they know what happened? I mean, none of the Rebels saw what happened, and even if they did, they're so bad off that the rest of the (hilariously apathetic to everything) galaxy would just write it off as lies from a bunch of idiots who got their asses stomped and are lying about what happened. And its not like the First Order's brainwashed troops and evil officers are going to go around spreading the tales of 'inspiring heroics' (HA!).

I mean, it would have made sense if Kylo was having the destruction of the Resistance transmitted across the galaxy to discourage any future dissent (unlikely since TLJ made the galaxy seem pretty okay with the FO taking over) and then it backfired by showing off Luke doing something that was actually cool (we can't have that), then it would make sense.

Plus, even if they did somehow spread the story, what part about it is inspiring? Luke died after trolling and distracting his idiot nephew for a few minutes. The FO is still on top and the Rebellion is a small, desperate group of idiots who got their asses kicked and only escaped because their enemies are idiots too.

As an aspiring writer, the sequel trilogy offends me on so many levels.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:00 pm
I feel there's one big problem with that. How do they know what happened? I mean, none of the Rebels saw what happened, and even if they did, they're so bad off that the rest of the (hilariously apathetic to everything) galaxy would just write it off as lies from a bunch of idiots who got their asses stomped and are lying about what happened. And its not like the First Order's brainwashed troops and evil officers are going to go around spreading the tales of 'inspiring heroics' (HA!).

I mean, it would have made sense if Kylo was having the destruction of the Resistance transmitted across the galaxy to discourage any future dissent (unlikely since TLJ made the galaxy seem pretty okay with the FO taking over) and then it backfired by showing off Luke doing something that was actually cool (we can't have that), then it would make sense.

Plus, even if they did somehow spread the story, what part about it is inspiring? Luke died after trolling and distracting his idiot nephew for a few minutes. The FO is still on top and the Rebellion is a small, desperate group of idiots who got their asses kicked and only escaped because their enemies are idiots too.

As an aspiring writer, the sequel trilogy offends me on so many levels.
He stood in front of the army before the Resistance left, they saw enough though likely not the fact that he easn't really there!