Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:37 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:55 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:52 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:44 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:40 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:24 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:14 pm You say problem, I say feature. We're teaching the next generation not to be as revenge happy as the current one. That can only be a good thing.
so, if Hitler was still alive, you'd be okay with just letting him walk?
If he was alive today would you be comfortable playing God taking a life of a man who best days are well behind him, wouldn't that make you no better than him.
who said anything about killing him and not just imprisoning him? besides, it wouldn't be playing god if he was sentenced to death by a war crimes tribunal. like I said, I am not expecting lynch mobs to chase the reformed villains on MLP but there is clearly no consequences for even war crimes in that universe, which is utter nonsense.

and about the kid characters who constantly get a pass, hasn't anyone here ever did anything wrong, apologized but your parents said something like "sorry isn't gonna cut it" and you got punished anyway?
Sorry if I put words in your mouth, I think that at the end of the day the problem is more or less solve or fussing over the details is an exercise in futility.
so no one should be punished ever, even if the commit war crimes?
One how can there be a war crime if there isn't a war, two it a kids show, three the world if MLP doesn't have the same logic as our world if you can't accept that fact why are you bothering unless to complain.
there is also crimes against humanity for when it isn't in war times or the equivalent. and in the movie at least, there was a war, so, Tempest is a war criminal. and I am so tired of the "it's a cartoon, stop using real world logic" argument.

and what about the less severe but still problematic issue of kid characters getting away with punishment all the time not just in this show, but others too, probably because of MLP? again, didn't your parents every say anything along the lines of "sorry isn't gonna cut it" and punished you anyway when you did something wrong?

again, the show and comics do mention Equestria having a realistic justice system with stuff like parole but all of the reformed villains, without exception, get off the hook just by apologizing.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

and the thing about Chuck's reviews of the DC Animated Universe, the creators of Justice League and the like actually did kind of agree with the Justice Lords and Cadmus and only made them the bad guys because they knew they couldn't get away with giving their point of view any legitimacy. and when they wrote the Elsworlds-like Gods and Monsters, they went on record saying they think the no kill rule is outdated.

but I am still wonddering about the My Little Pony thing. again, Equestria does have a realistic legal system with paroles and laws and stuff but all the reformed villains, without exception, are apperently just pardoned and there's been no protest from the general public.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:51 am
I'm gonna give a bunch of examples.
I agree, except for your point on Trixie, though I haven’t seen all the episodes. She is arrogant and annoying, but she got punished (at least, offscreen) way too harshly. She was warned about the alicorn pendant, but she clearly didn’t realize what would happen, and she wouldn’t be the first to do something idiotic that turned out dangerous.
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:31 pm Sounds like it is saying that redemption is not a one and done thing, but a journey with steps forward and steps back. That some people, if given the chance, will make it and others won't but you still have to give them the shot anyway. That nobody is irredeemable but it can take multiple second chances, and it is worth giving those.

I think that is a very valuable message. It says the quick and easy punitive mindset is flawed and fallible, and that we need to get more into a long term rehabilitative mindset. I can back that message. Not everybody will make it, but everybody is given the chance to. That is a good thing, nobody ought to be written off.
Given the seriousness of the crimes being discussed, how many people is someone allowed to hurt on their journey?
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Meushell wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:31 pm
I agree, except for your point on Trixie, though I haven’t seen all the episodes. She is arrogant and annoying, but she got punished (at least, offscreen) way too harshly. She was warned about the alicorn pendant, but she clearly didn’t realize what would happen, and she wouldn’t be the first to do something idiotic that turned out dangerous.
she wasn't punished for anything actually bad she did and her not knowing exactly what the Allicorn Amulet would do is no excuse since she was warned and must have known something about what it would do since she knew it existed at all and went to the same magic school as Twilight.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:19 pm
Meushell wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:31 pm
she wasn't punished for anything actually bad she did and her not knowing exactly what the Allicorn Amulet would do is no excuse since she was warned and must have known something about what it would do since she knew it existed at all and went to the same magic school as Twilight.
I suppose that’s true. I think I’m more forgiving of her because I don’t think what she did compares to what others did, yet the show seems to treat deliberately inflicting pain, brain washing, enslavement, etc. as worse than her arrogance.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

and once more, people have said that those like me can just imagine punishments happening off screen but I just can't think of ways for that to happen. am I just bad at fan wank or does the show really make such speculation impossible with the tone of each episodes' ending and such?

and even if I accepted all the stuff with Discord was just an organic part of his redemption arc, the other villains have no such development. all of Starlight Glimmer's development happened after she made the switch to good guy, the switch itself was just an instant 180. and Tempest Shadow and Capper from the movie, the war criminal and slaver respectively, never appeared again outside of cameos, so, their redemptions were quick turn arounds too.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Fan on Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:02 pm and once more, people have said that those like me can just imagine punishments happening off screen but I just can't think of ways for that to happen. am I just bad at fan wank or does the show really make such speculation impossible with the tone of each episodes' ending and such?
No, I agree with you there. That there is off screen punishment doesn’t usually fit with what we see unless you really stretch it.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Meushell wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:09 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:02 pm and once more, people have said that those like me can just imagine punishments happening off screen but I just can't think of ways for that to happen. am I just bad at fan wank or does the show really make such speculation impossible with the tone of each episodes' ending and such?
No, I agree with you there. That there is off screen punishment doesn’t usually fit with what we see unless you really stretch it.
so, there really isn't any room for me to imagine those things happening and just get back to enjoying the episodes I skipped? like, we can't say Rainbow Dash had to do community service off screen after "Tanks for the Memories" or that Discord has to make it up to all of Equestria and not just the main six off screen after the Tirek and Grogar incidents?

like I said, I am awful at fan wank and there are a ton of other examples of Karma Houdini and Easily Forgiven I am seriously bugged by in this show and in other kids shows too. like, wile I wasn't sure about it at first but my annoyance at this and concern about it from a moral for kids perspective is reinforced by YouTube reviewer, Bobsheaux, a particularly relevant example would be his review of Alpha and Omega: Dino Digs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfI6ZGBfcb4

based on what I have watched and what he reviews, it seems that kids shows that show consequences are rare to non-existent. compare to shows I grew up with like the original Powerpuff Girls or 101 Dalmatians: The Series where, even the protagonists were punished all the time for acting out of line. and I still say MLP influenced other current cartoons like Steven Universe's "Let's let the genocidal dictators off the hook".
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:21 am I still say MLP influenced other current cartoons like Steven Universe's "Let's let the genocidal dictators off the hook".
The problem in SU is that the Diamonds (aside from Pink) aren't characters. They're just obstacles to lead Steven's character to overcome his own issues. It's odd because the rest of the show seemed to refuse doing that with its antagonists. This is why it feels like they've been "let off the hook" but really all that happened was that they stopped being antagonists. The show never took them seriously as characters needing to be held accountable, just a scary threat that only Steven could placate.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Deledrius wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:48 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:21 am I still say MLP influenced other current cartoons like Steven Universe's "Let's let the genocidal dictators off the hook".
The problem in SU is that the Diamonds (aside from Pink) aren't characters. They're just obstacles to lead Steven's character to overcome his own issues. It's odd because the rest of the show seemed to refuse doing that with its antagonists. This is why it feels like they've been "let off the hook" but really all that happened was that they stopped being antagonists. The show never took them seriously as characters needing to be held accountable, just a scary threat that only Steven could placate.
okay but the Steven Universe comparison was just one of my points, and there are other shows besides MLP and SU that have this problem with actual characters.