Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

and having watched Linkara's review of the movie/comic adaptation of The Last Jedi and his Vlog on The Rise of Skywalker, it made me think of another problem, yes, there are some antagonists in MLP and other cartoons that aren't redeemed but it is an afterthought, the focus of the story isn't on, say, how beyond redemption Tirek is, it's about finalizing Discord's redemption arc, supposedly.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Honestly, that's one of the biggest problems for me on Discovery, but they're doing it with some of the main characters (especially the one being groomed for the spinoff). The Emperor is not a good person. The show wants me to either forget that, or at least find it amusing. I don't, so this doesn't work for me.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I doubt anything will come of it. Back door pilots are a common thing and like only one fifth of them actually lead to an actual spin off.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I doubt anything will come of it. Back door pilots are a common thing and like only one fifth of them actually lead to an actual spin off.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

As I have said before, Star Trek was designed to be ''the hopeful show''. Criminals in this universe can rehabilitate - they can start evil and then better themselves. And if the actual character execution of the Empress (I refuse to call her an emperor) was different from day 1 then maybe we could have had that. But I posit that the moment you introduce a crime as outrageous as cannibalism is the moment that you have just made a character redemption arc very hard to swallow.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

I think we are getting off topic, I started talking about MLP and the possibly toxic influence it is having on other kids' media.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:44 pm As I have said before, Star Trek was designed to be ''the hopeful show''. Criminals in this universe can rehabilitate - they can start evil and then better themselves. And if the actual character execution of the Empress (I refuse to call her an emperor) was different from day 1 then maybe we could have had that. But I posit that the moment you introduce a crime as outrageous as cannibalism is the moment that you have just made a character redemption arc very hard to swallow.
I don't like Discovery, but in Star Trek we've seen the redemption of Space Goebbels and Space Himmler over on DS9, and came so very close to redeeming Space Hitler, not to mention Space Female Osama Bin Laden, plus they've given us Heroic Attila the Hun too. So, pretty much anybody can be redeemed if the writing is good enough. Do I think the writing will be good enough on Discovery? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:43 pm I think we are getting off topic, I started talking about MLP and the possibly toxic influence it is having on other kids' media.
We are at 85 pages. There is no topic.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:37 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:44 pm As I have said before, Star Trek was designed to be ''the hopeful show''. Criminals in this universe can rehabilitate - they can start evil and then better themselves. And if the actual character execution of the Empress (I refuse to call her an emperor) was different from day 1 then maybe we could have had that. But I posit that the moment you introduce a crime as outrageous as cannibalism is the moment that you have just made a character redemption arc very hard to swallow.
I don't like Discovery, but in Star Trek we've seen the redemption of Space Goebbels and Space Himmler over on DS9, and came so very close to redeeming Space Hitler, not to mention Space Female Osama Bin Laden, plus they've given us Heroic Attila the Hun too. So, pretty much anybody can be redeemed if the writing is good enough. Do I think the writing will be good enough on Discovery? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......
Oh, quite true. What also does not help is that ''the hopeful show'' has become just as nihilistic as any other science fiction show - life will not get better, rather that warfare, inequality and corruption will continue to last for centuries.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

again, this seems to be getting off topic.

also, wile forgiveness is a good message to send to kids "forgive and forget" is ah absolutely toxic message to send to kids.