The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Mecha82
Captain

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by Mecha82 »

I used to not like Canto Bight scenes in TLJ but after watching Linkara's review of TLJ comic book adaption I have new perspective on it.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here ya go, Winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8oCvpyQjQ

I know ya love Heir to the Empire, so here ya go!

Another reason I support public domain on Star Wars 100%. Fans with love for the franchise and not merely maximizing the bottom line could do a job a billion times better than those they got now, but they still need to make money, pay bills and eat and sleep and so on in order to actually tell these stories. But that would mean cutting into the profits of those in charge, and they can't have that, so they wanna go out of their way to crush the competition.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

It doesn't have to be public domain for that. Games Workshop knowingly allows a whole cottage industry of people to make fan works for a living, and it's only benefited them.

Hell, they boosted the Hellsreach series on company blogs and ended up hiring the crew that made it.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I hear Disney struck a fan film that had followed the rules for having "copyrighted" music. They even specifically went to Lucasfilm to get their approval. Yeah, I don't trust the big corps, thank you. They wanna go out of their way to crush competition rather than encourage it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:17 pm It doesn't have to be public domain for that. Games Workshop knowingly allows a whole cottage industry of people to make fan works for a living, and it's only benefited them.

Hell, they boosted the Hellsreach series on company blogs and ended up hiring the crew that made it.
GW sells miniatures and rules systems for them so having fan made films based on they IPs benefits them. You are trying to compare hobby company and multimedia company to each other. And no, having SW in public domain isn't solution either unlike Yuka thinks.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Mecha82 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:32 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:17 pm It doesn't have to be public domain for that. Games Workshop knowingly allows a whole cottage industry of people to make fan works for a living, and it's only benefited them.

GW sells miniatures and rules systems for them so having fan made films based on they IPs benefits them. You are trying to compare hobby company and multimedia company to each other. And no, having SW in public domain isn't solution either unlike Yuka thinks.
Honestly I think GW makes most of their money on selling Horus Heresy novels at this point.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

My cousin and his kids insisted on seeing it Friday, so I may as well give my assessment.

The Good: It was as visually impressive as you'd expect from a movie with all those Disney Dollars behind it. Also, I'll admit I got a giggle out of Ol' Palps hamming it up.

The Bad: Narratively it was a rushed mess on par with Gundam F91. It felt less like a movie and more like an outline for 3 to 5 movies or an entire season of a series. The film suffered from trying (valiantly if vainly) to clean up the mess Johnson made in TLJ. Also, plotholes big and numerous enough to fly a fleet of Super Star Destroyers through and still have plenty of room for several Corellian Freighters.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Right now. In terms of my Star Wars rankings, right now I have TROS only just above TPM and AOTC. It at least has more plot going on compared to those two movies as well as having visual effects that'll likely age better.

Who knows, maybe it'll go up in my estimation over time once my frustration over its plot developments cools down. I mean, i cannot call it boring, it might be one of the most batshit, off-the-rails sequels I've seen in years.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, Mecha82 is right. They are not remotely compatible. And because the parent company Lucasfilm belongs to, Disney, is a giant-ass corporation that wants to crush competition, the flaws of modern-day corporatism, well, the odds of this fan project being terminated are pretty good, especially since they already went after other fan projects that were following the rules with the justification "copyright infringement." I hope I genuinely made Winter happy by showing the Thrawn Trilogy that some fan is doing. In the lieu of Lucasfilm doing so, this is pretty much all fans have right up until Disney swoops in and hits him with a copyright strike. As to public domain, we'll still just have to agree to disagree, because I think it would encourage competition, and then they'd have to improve the story quality. But again, what modern-day uber corporation that is slowly building an illegal monopoly wants competition?
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

If I were to be fair about this movie. It's the same feelings from the last movie. I felt bored. Never have I've ever been bored of a light saber fight and I've seen a lot of fan videos do better fights.

I'm sure others have made essay length comments here but I'm just going to be simple. I was disappointed with the direction of the new movies. ALL the new Star Wars movies. They tried to please nostalgia and "tried new things" at the same time and it failed. Social politics aside, these weren't even comparable to popcorn movies like the Fast and Furious or Transformers because those movies were designed with bad cliche over the top writing and effects. They were at least entertaining
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."