The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Ha I knew where I know that pointman from in Episode 6. It's Grotto the Irish gangster informant in Daredevil 2.
..What mirror universe?
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Well...episode 7 (got released early due to Episode IX bullshit) was certainly a ride. Now I have to wait an entire week for the conclusion.

Shit.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

The first one that doesn't wrap things up nicely since the first episode and we have to wait longer than usual because of the early release. That was really good and had a lot of "Oh, whoa, hang on!" moments. Especially that ending...
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

I think Lucasfilm should really be embarrassed by the fact that TV show made by an animation director and the guy who made Elf is inarguably superior to the Disney Trilogy in every way. From the action to the characters to the themes to the music to the aliens, everything is just better.

There are certain things I didn't care for, like Dyn acts as if he ever heard of the Jedi, yet knows about the Siege of Mandalore and the Armorer has Maul horns on her helmet yet acts like she only heard about Force Users in legends, which is really weird.

Also, all this talk about 'the Purge' doesn't paint a good picture for Bo-Katan, Sabine's family...and the ending reveal of Gideon's survival definitely doesn't bode well for Bo-Katan's situation.

Speaking of Gideon, he is a far more interesting and menacing villain than the villains of the DT.

Is it sad I felt more for IG-11's death than I did for Luke's?

Also, the scene of the Armorer taking out those Storm Troopers was pure badass.

A great show, so let's hope they keep it up for season 2.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Honestly I'm convinced this being better was intentional. They put a team of their best writers and directors on this project and cast it with veteran actors. It was the flagship show for Dismey +, so it had to be good. The movie trilogy were going to sell like crazy no matter what, so they threw a couple of hacks with a reputation for staying within a budget in their general direction and didn't worry about it.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

That was really good. The only thing that was disappointing was the forced status-quo reset at the end. The entire two-parter here seemed to be leading to the team all being cast-off and leaving together, forming a crew on this new journey they were assigned by The Blacksmith. All the way up until the TIE crash this was the case, and then suddenly the two humans decide "naw, we're staying here, danger's gone (somehow)". Which retroactively makes more sense why IG-11 had to die, since he would have no reason to do that. Just back to our Mandalorian and his foundling traveling alone. I like Dune and Karga too much to want them going back to recurring characters.

The team of Dune, Karga, IG-11 along with The Mandalorian and The Child was too perfect. But maybe also outside of the show's budget, too. This had to be expensive. It looked amazing.

Also, The Mandalorian did not look like how I expected him to look at all! I'm not really sure what I had in mind, but this actor's face didn't seem to match his voice for me. :lol: I was surprised by that reveal.

Moff Gideon is a great villain, and even though it's a bit stupid that no one confirmed the kill (no explosion meant from the moment the TIE crashed I knew he survived, and so should they), I'm glad to be seeing more of him as a personal adversary.

Did he really do any of the things that Trooper was reporting over the radio? We never saw it, and he doesn't seem the type. I was amused by that scene at the start, but Red vs Blue in Star Wars felt a bit... tonally odd. Like a fan parody video.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I really like the show. In a lot of ways it's kind of sloppy, cheesy, and a bit thin on story and characterization even with its shortened runtime. But it's still a lot of fun, it fits pretty decently within the Star Wars universe while experimenting with some other motifs, and you actually get the sense that they have an idea where they're going. It's a refreshing show, and the near universal praise should go to show that Star Wars fans aren't all that hard to please.
The owls are not what they seem.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

I do hope they explained how Gideon got the Dark Saber
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:09 pm I really like the show. In a lot of ways it's kind of sloppy, cheesy, and a bit thin on story and characterization even with its shortened runtime. But it's still a lot of fun, it fits pretty decently within the Star Wars universe while experimenting with some other motifs, and you actually get the sense that they have an idea where they're going. It's a refreshing show, and the near universal praise should go to show that Star Wars fans aren't all that hard to please.
I think its writing is tight as a Western/Samurai concept. Each episode plays like a mini fable. All and all each episode is sufficiently contained which is an essential aspect of having a good season arc. That being said, I agree about story and characterization, though mainly in terms of supporting cast and not Mando.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
..What mirror universe?
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I've heard part of the inspiration was the Lone Wolf and Cub Manga.
Call me KuudereKun