The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/?st=K4XMB15A&sh=bfb54b94
Call me KuudereKun
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:33 am https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/?st=K4XMB15A&sh=bfb54b94
The trouble I'm having with this most dubious of sources is that it seems to simultaneously point fingers at Disney for some of TROS' story decisions but then also says JU was under stricter oversight to ensure the movie fit with TLU?

If you've seen the movie then you'll know TROS doesn't seem to try very hard to be a follow-up to TLJ.

So are they saying Disney told him to simultaneously remain strictly in the confines of TLJ whilst mandating story directions that flew in the face of it?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

That doesn't make any sense now does it.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

I finally saw it, and I feel TROS was great, it redeems The Last Jedi.
Call me KuudereKun
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:33 am https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/?st=K4XMB15A&sh=bfb54b94
Yeah, I read up on that but I am assuming that this is somehow a save face for JJ. Overall, my general idea is that there were massive retakes/cuts of this film and all were considered to be a poor movie/story. Also, I can see Iger coming in and forcing changes and/or having major oversight (Disney is already kind of know to be like that so yeah, it's believable in my opinion) and JJ being upset about it. We also were aware that Matt Smith was announced to have been cast in this movie but the version we saw he wasn't in. We all know that Ruin Johnson (of House Round-Head) and how he fucked everything up but like did JJ even bothered to check on how Ruin was doing and what were his plans while filming TLJ? So I would say that JJ had major problems with this movie (one being TLJ and also what was rumored to have happened behind the scenes) but he also kind of started things and left never finishing it and/or stayed on in some official way.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

The movie wound up being not that bad at all.
https://jaredmithrandirolorin.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-rise-of-skywalker-has-saved-last.html
Call me KuudereKun
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

My big issue is this. They don't even have the decency to say they got the idea from Dark Empire, because to admit they took the inspiration from an older comic book that is contentious even among Legends fans which realized the concept way better when they threw out that older material for "creative freedom" would make them look like giant hypocrites, and that's unacceptable for a family-friendly franchise! Hell, it makes me wonder if the editor who answered a few questions on HuffPost was TOLD to say that simply to boost their sales of Legends books which, let's remember, are still being reprinted, so that people who are curious would seek it out themselves.

My big problem with the sequels is that from all accounts, Force Awakens is a bastard fusion of Legacy and A New Hope, Last Jedi is a bastard fusion of KOTOR 2 and Empire Strikes Back, and Rise of Skywalker is a bastard fusion of Dark Empire and Return of the Jedi. Gotta "maximize" their "creative freedom," huh?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And to the fans who both know about Dark Empire and Rise of Skywalker, how the hell can you gush over Rise of Skywalker, yet scream that Dark Empire was awful? Who knew Dark Empire would have sold better if they had just attached Return of the Jedi to it?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Dark Empire only seems like a better version of Palpatine brought back because it drags the storylne out more. I much prefer Palpatine as even more old and decrpetid, implied to be living like an energy vampire, to the cloning nonsense.

In the real canon Star Wars lore Clones are their own people not SciFi reincarnation. Frankly I'd have preferred Rey as a Palpatine Clone over a natural granddaughter.

How is ROS a rehash of ROTJ but not Dark Empire?
Call me KuudereKun
thetrueelec
Officer

Post by thetrueelec »

The movie was not good, it wasn't bad but there's nothing besides the big fights that could count as good. I knew it wouldn't live up to TLJ, but I assumed it would at least be fun like TFA