The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I love people keep citing the Bendu from Rebels when Rebels ultimately concludes that the Bendu was a Coward.
Call me KuudereKun
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Well they're neutral

youtu.be/k8ws_APXilE
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Grey Jedi would work, tbh. The Jedi had become too "light-sided" in the prequels, which is a kinder word for dogmatic. In the KOTOR era leading into the Bane era, we see that they still allow older members into the old order, even if some Jedi are raised as children, but only those they feel are destined to be Jedi Knights. They allow romantic attachments, but frown upon them. Millennia later, they are now taking babies straight from the crib to the point a frickin' nine-year-old is too damned old, lol, and romantic relationships are outright banned. Quite the turn. And that is not balance. Anakin fulfilled his role. Nothing ever said it had to stay balanced.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Just because people live in a way you don't approve of, you are outright encouraging they deserved to die?
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

"Balance to the Force" was another dumb idea that Lucas introduced in the Prequels, right along with Midiclorians.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

The issue of Balance was always implied since the Force was always partly based on Tao.
Call me KuudereKun
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:42 pm Makes sense. I am rather inbetween myself when it comes to that. Whole "anyone can be hero" message that TLJ had was good (some vocal people on internet didn't see it that way) and meant that SW universe didn't revolve around certain bloodlines that are powerful in force. After all none of Jedi from past were from any bloodline like that but it didn't bother me that they made her Palpatine either.
The whole, "anybody can be a hero" wasn't what I took from TLJ. Instead was that Ruin Johnson just shitted on the last movie because he hated all of the fan theories on the internet. Rey was introduced as having way more powers than what Luke had and it was already kind of established in the earlier films that the Force has many different users, from many walks of life already. What is upsetting about Rey was that she was so super-special and super-powerful, even for her own good (she defeated Kylo in a lightsaber battle in TFA and it's upsetting because she never used a lightsaber before, but it was always pointed out that it was a skill you had to train to be an expert in). At least having her from a powerful family in the Force is kind of a way to fill in that plot-hole. If not than Rey is just a Mary Sue (and a poorly written one as well). Even Luke had to spend some time (longer than Rey) training with Yoda and Obi-Wan. Also, it was established that Luke was a good pilot and a good shot before we were introduced to his force powers.

But for the most part, the last 6 or so movies were about the Skywalkers. They are Star Wars. Star Wars is a family saga that followed Anakin Skywalker and then his two kids. There were other characters with Force powers but the story was always about the Skywalkers. Killing off Ben/Kylo is basically saying that Star Wars is done and dead at this point (and we already knew that there were more movies being planned by Lucasfilm anyways). Even if Rey took the Skywalker name isn't enough to keep interested in the franchise, but still, Disney has officially killed off the last Skywalker and thus Star Wars is dead.

The Palpatine connection does bother me because it seemed like it was never set up in TFA. It seemed like Palpatine just popped out of nowhere and said, "Hey I am alive-bitches! Better watch ou I am coming after you!" (which according to RotS crawl he did exactly that) and neither his return nor Rey's lineage was there an explanation and/or hint that either character/plotline was connected to Palpatine. So, I am more inclined to believe that JJ either had no idea on how to end the mysterious in TFA and/or Ruin Johnson threw everything out and "ended" the trilogy in his film.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

"Deserved to die" is not my intent. They needed reform. Badly. And that's very true during the era of the prequels. Hell, it was true thousands of years prior. A line of Palpatine sticks with me on this. "Jedi don't think, they know." And that's a very dangerous position to come from when even they admit to the mysteries of the Force.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Cause you should be listening to Palpy 'Everything I have seen is as I planned' of all people on other people's egos.

and FYI, If the Jedi actually did do like that you wouldn't have the near amount of ideology schisms... oh wait you don't count those cause they don't line up with your favorite psychopaths philosophies 'even though you keep blathering on about the SHEER SUPERIORITY OF THE LEGENDS CONTINUITY!

While picking an choosing the stuff that fits you're Jedi hate boner...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Point remains the Jedi have power, and after all the endless wars through time, you have to wonder if indeed there is some push-back effect, you begin to see how utterly meaningless it is to try and keep the peace, when war is inevitable, and always will be. Hell, even after the Imperial era, there is conflict 100 years into the future. And don't think for a moment the Disney canon wouldn't do the same. Why? Because it's the STAR WARS. That sells. And there is no denying the Force escalates the innate conflict inherent in all beings. Again, imagine if we had superpowers in our own world? It would be a disaster of biblical proportions. Which is what we see play out through Legends and new canon and it will continue far beyond.