Sci-Fi & Fantasy Tropes You Hate But Everyone Else Loves

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Re: Sci-Fi & Fantasy Tropes You Hate But Everyone Else Loves

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:18 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:22 pm When Aliens invade Earth they always attack USA like rest of world doesn't exist. Also when they do attack entire world it's still always Americans that save the day.
Unless it's Doctor Who. Then for some reason it's always London or Cardiff. :p
Or anime. At which point, it's Tokyo.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Figuring out alien code on a weekend. Or that our technology is compatible with alien tech. Irregardless of how advanced human tech is. Like Trek can plug and play any tech into their computers. Or that Earth can reverse engineer or figure out alien tech in Stargate SG-1.

I will get flack for this but: a female warrior can easily take down another more or less equal male warrior. All things being equal, training, skill level etc, a woman cannot beat a man. If she does because she has to do it dirty.

Even skill levels favor the woman, a direct hit from a man is a difference maker. Look at all the weight classes and the reason why UFC and boxing are separated by sexes.
I got nothing to say here.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:01 am I will get flack for this but: a female warrior can easily take down another more or less equal male warrior. All things being equal, training, skill level etc, a woman cannot beat a man. If she does because she has to do it dirty.

Even skill levels favor the woman, a direct hit from a man is a difference maker. Look at all the weight classes and the reason why UFC and boxing are separated by sexes.
Agreed. Also, besting Joe Average in a fight is one thing. Besting a seasoned professional who has a list of confirmed kills longer than your arm? Yeah, good luck with that...
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:08 pm Women wearing armour that leaves their tits and ass completely undefended. And to a lesser extent ''warrior women trained from birth'' who go into battle with long hair and make-up.
I've always hated midriff armor. Her least protected vital organs are exposed so the audience can see her navel.

Long hair doesn't bother me too much because in many warrior cultures the MEN would wear their hair long. However, they would put their hair into a bun when going into combat or even meeting high ranking officials. So, she can have her long locks and even let it flow while at peace, but when it's time to fight and hair should be up in a bun or braid.

And there were practical reasons for make-up (though not the designer make-up we see in movies). Ancient Egyptians invented the concept of make-up to keep the glare from their cheeks and eyebrows out of their eyes as well as snag sand and dust in the eyelashes. But having black around her eyes wouldn't attract the audience that wants to see her navel.
Also...

Women who are basically men, implying that a ''strong woman'' is in fact just a woman who has discarded every trace of femininity. For example, Sarah Connor in Terminator 2 was a tough woman. Grace in Dark Fate was a man.

Both tropes are sexist and both tropes seem immune to death.
I agree here too. It is sexist to suggest that for a woman to be "strong" she has to essentially act like man. However, it appeals to certain people who think equality requires the destruction of difference.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Okay I did think of one. The aliens invented everything trope. As used in MiB with them funding themselves by releasing alien tech like velcro and liposuction. Or Transformers where modern computers and communications were reverse engineered from Megatron. . .

It makes me love the SG-1 scene where they compare a staff weapon to a P-90.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

In Bumblebee it was two Decepticons that created internet and gave it to humans.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Nealithi wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:19 am Okay I did think of one. The aliens invented everything trope. As used in MiB with them funding themselves by releasing alien tech like velcro and liposuction. Or Transformers where modern computers and communications were reverse engineered from Megatron. . .

Well on the other hand, in Stargate, aliens built the pyramids.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

PapaPalpatine wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:52 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:01 am I will get flack for this but: a female warrior can easily take down another more or less equal male warrior. All things being equal, training, skill level etc, a woman cannot beat a man. If she does because she has to do it dirty.

Agreed. Also, besting Joe Average in a fight is one thing. Besting a seasoned professional who has a list of confirmed kills longer than your arm? Yeah, good luck with that...
Exactly. My big gripe in the bare knuckles wrestling boxing fights we see. Once it gets to the ground, or you are boxing, men will win 99% of the time.

Kira on DS9 is the worse offender. Mostly due to the choreography. Double fisted hit and then a elbow and a flip. On Klingons who are supposed to be much stronger than a human (that is something else too, especially Word)
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

TGLS wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:52 pm
Nealithi wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:19 am Okay I did think of one. The aliens invented everything trope. As used in MiB with them funding themselves by releasing alien tech like velcro and liposuction. Or Transformers where modern computers and communications were reverse engineered from Megatron. . .

Yeah it is still an offender. Now I may need to see what Sci-fi out there is not an offender.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Nealithi wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:38 am
TGLS wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Yeah it is still an offender. Now I may need to see what Sci-fi out there is not an offender.
They built four sides pyramids as landing platforms for their three sided pyramid ships....