Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by Yukaphile »

Patrick Stewart wanted to be more of an action hero and bedding lots of women, so that doesn't give me any hope at all.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:52 am Patrick Stewart wanted to be more of an action hero and bedding lots of women, so that doesn't give me any hope at all.
Picard's the most prolific exhibited diplomat that I can really think of. At least on Star Trek that's for sure. Like, Stewart aside, the character came through incredibly distinguished in civility over brutefullness.

And really there's nothing much wrong with wanting to bed lots of women unless you're speaking on condition of something.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think that was more the touch of the writers and even Gene's initial "let's not make him like Kirk has been bastardized in the movies!" Giving him creative control when he lobbied so hard for the more annoying action-hero elements in the Trek movies is not a good idea, at all.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I sense jealousy.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's not Picard's character at all, dude... maybe when he was 30, but that all changed when he got stabbed through the heart.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:52 am Stewart's remained rather modest on the political front up to and through 2016. He's very liberty minded, but he works with what he's got his nose into and he doesn't make that big a deal of it as far as his public persona. To turn around and call him a political shill over this kind of thing because of equivity math is really unfair.

Yes, it's recognized by a lot of people as figurative as far as any degree of imperative or expectation is concerned.
And after 2016 he became exactly what Brexiteers term "a Remoaner".

And just so we are clear, a Remoaner differs from a Remainer in that they are condescending, elitist, and oh so smug in their moral certitude. I have never heard the self-mastabatory phrase "right side of history" used by anyone else more than Remoaners.

I stick by what I said: he is a washed up old man who has not had a good role in years. He is the British John Travolta.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, he had great writers in TNG. Problem is, is anyone on par with that today? Ron Moore, Michael Piller (at his prime), Brannon Braga (when balanced out), Jeri Taylor, or even Rick Berman? I sincerely doubt it.

"Right side of history" is also an argument and viewpoint that's just ripe for abuse and victim-blaming. It's too much moral certitude, I agree.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'll also say it again. Giving him creative control rather than, say, inviting back Ron Moore? Is kind of a bad idea, with all he lobbied so hard for in the movies. It seems he just wants Picard to be James Bond...
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:33 am I'll also say it again. Giving him creative control rather than, say, inviting back Ron Moore? Is kind of a bad idea, with all he lobbied so hard for in the movies. It seems he just wants Picard to be James Bond...
I agree. At the end of the day, who is he? He's an actor not a writer. Getting him to write is silly.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

He is more writer than those that hate him from drop of the hat that's for sure.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard