B5:There all honor lies

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nightbeat74
Officer

B5:There all honor lies

Post by Nightbeat74 »

something funny i saw awhile back in a "used" comic & toy store babylon 5 action figures like in the ep :lol: but, what made it funny was JMS reportedly did not like merchandising,and feel free to correct me if i am wrong on that but do in nicely ppls
G-Man
Officer

Re: B5:There all honor lies

Post by G-Man »

I have all six Babylon 5 Action figures (Delenn, Londo, G'Kar, Garibaldi, Sheridan, and Ivanova).
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Nice Spaceballs reference. :)
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:22 am Nice Spaceballs reference. :)
No, I mean literally. Although looking on the internet, there may have been more than those 6...

They were from this line:
https://www.amazon.com/Babylon-Ambassador-Exclusive-Premiere-Action/dp/B000BUIUD8/ref=pd_bxgy_21_img_2/146-7059304-3479553?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000BUIUD8&pd_rd_r=7f60fff2-f545-4af9-a39a-1c44a58815e0&pd_rd_w=UnoBn&pd_rd_wg=QI11p&pf_rd_p=09627863-9889-4290-b90a-5e9f86682449&pf_rd_r=N1364ZY8DNNDCYQJBWFF&psc=1&refRID=N1364ZY8DNNDCYQJBWFF
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

G-Man wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:31 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:22 am Nice Spaceballs reference. :)
No, I mean literally. Although looking on the internet, there may have been more than those 6...

They were from this line:
https://www.amazon.com/Babylon-Ambassador-Exclusive-Premiere-Action/dp/B000BUIUD8/ref=pd_bxgy_21_img_2/146-7059304-3479553?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000BUIUD8&pd_rd_r=7f60fff2-f545-4af9-a39a-1c44a58815e0&pd_rd_w=UnoBn&pd_rd_wg=QI11p&pf_rd_p=09627863-9889-4290-b90a-5e9f86682449&pf_rd_r=N1364ZY8DNNDCYQJBWFF&psc=1&refRID=N1364ZY8DNNDCYQJBWFF
Sorry, I meant the review has a nice Spaceballs reference, unless I was imagining it.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

One: I think merchandising is fine, and I'm a big fan of it in general. I think that B5 not having a gift shop on its Promenade or Departure Lounge was a huge omission by its original planners. And Sheridan and Ivanova should quit their moaning about it, this was the one good idea Earth had at the time. I'm on the fence about JMS' personal objection; as a fan I love the merch, but I can understand why a creator would not approve. I think it is daft to leave money on the table, and if he was the sole entity involved that would be his right, but he also is relying on other people in the production chain to get it on the air so they have a say too, and if they also agree it is daft to leave money on the table then they should have a say too.

Two: Londo has a point about them using his likeness without consulting him. That is kinda a despicable thing to do. He's not even getting a cut. That has Diplomatic Insult (proper capital letters) written all over it and whichever peon on Earth thought it was a good idea ought to be sent out to retrieve that bear, without a suit. I bet if they'd simply asked Londo if it was okay and given him a cut and input into the figure, then he'd probably have been okay with it. This objection obviously does not apply to B5 military personnel, because the right to use their likeness in PR would just be another right they'd signed away when they joined. That is the military for you.

Three: Minbari are the sort of people you want to call out see you next Tuesday to.

Four: Vir is awesome. And Londo recognises that. That is the reason he keeps him, and is also the reason he sends him away when he hits his lowest point too, Londo knows how good Vir is. He's just crap at saying it.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

> Minbari don't lie
> The identity to the one who started the Earth-Minbari War is kept secret

Gotta love those double standards, eh? And it's not even that I hate the Minbari or Delenn. I love Delenn. ^_^ But that the truth about who fired that shot remains unknown sits uneasy with me. Especially given later events. Seems more like the Minbari are being favored in areas they should not. And in some ways, they seem like a very subdued example of Creator's Pet in terms of species for JMS. Or am I wrong?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

IMHO, the Minbari were supposed to be portrayed as having strengths and weaknesses compared to humans more than being a creator's pet. Sheridan's death was supposed to be a consequence of Delenn keeping secrets coming back to bite her. He got better, but even then he only got mostly better.

The Minbari don't lie -- unless they do. Minbari do not kill Minbari -- unless they do. Their government keeps secrets and some of the rest of the Minbari resent them for it. They're more powerful than humans both as a species and as individual melee fighters, but that doesn't make them better people any more than Arnold Schwarzenegger is a better person than Mother Theresa.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, it still strikes me as contrived. I know the Grey Council was highly secretive, but you'd think after Z'ha'dum, that Sheridan would eventually find out she'd cast that deciding, genocidal vote. And for all we know he did off-screen, I don't think it would have changed anything, but I do think it could have had some kind of commentary that seems to largely be brushed aside by the series. When you go so far as to try and commit ABSOLUTE GENOCIDE, then the names of all those involved should at least be public record. No matter what arrangements the Earth imposed on the "surrendering" Minbari, assuming they imposed any at all. And early on, there's no hint to any conflicts about Earth being uneasy about the names being withheld to who started the war, a war that nearly wiped out their whole species. We focus specifically on the traumatized pilot who blames himself, and playacts as King Arthur. But Delenn, I feel, is too much of a missed opportunity with this, in that the only one to find out is Lennier, who... let's be honest, he wouldn't have thought any less of her with this revelation than Sheridan. It's a wasted opportunity, and inconsistent to her guilt that she would hide it herself, especially once the Shadows and Vorlons were driven out of the galaxy.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

Surprised there was no mention of the "deep space franchise" swipe. XD