Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Mecha82
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by Mecha82 »

If you want sci-fi story that has people changing gender then why not try manga that was adapted into anime called Knights of Sidonia. In it there are those that have they gender determined based on gender of who they like.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Kinda like Ranma, huh?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:06 am I feel the same, haha. Mostly what I can glean from The Culture comes from transcribing Matter from my Kindle to a Word doc and reading online articles and perusing the wiki. I need to eventually buy the physical books, since that's how I prefer to read.

Dude, if you could easily transplant between genders at will, and shift between a pure biological state of male AND female, I'd more than wanna give it a try. Seriously. Not just to play with your own boobs like too many of us would do, lol. I'd genuinely wanna see what it's like looking through the eyes of "the other side," so to speak. Curiosity. I'd prefer being male, but who knows? That could change if that was possible.
Honestly, if it was as simple as it is in the Culture then I think everyone would at least once.

I may have the title wrong but another interesting read us Ursula LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness where everyone is asexual until they need to mate. It is a very dated book imo as it looks at gender from the interpretation of 1969, but is ahead of its time in many other ways.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Honestly and sincerely, I think people have too many modern "inhibitions" we need to let go of if we are ever to move into a brighter future. Sexual/gendered hang-ups is just one. There are many more. It's why I love The Culture on paper, though what little I've glimpsed in the rampant gender-changing and play and just general hedonism is inspiring. It's why the quote in my signature comes from Kreia. For a fierce individualist like her, no doubt she'd agree we have many inhibitions we need to let go of, though for different reasons. :lol:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

When it comes to post 2005 Star Trek, my sentiments are the same of Senator Vreenak’s to Starfleet officers.

“To be honest, my opinion of Starfleet officers is so low, you'd have to work very hard indeed to disappoint me.”

Even with setting the bar low for 2009, then lower for Discovery, they still failed to disappoint me. Take Star Trek out the title and a few bits of dialogue here and there, you wouldn’t know they were supposed to be Star Trek.

I have Amazon Prime, so I’ll take a look at this Picard show, but I’m not expecting very much at all form it, especially if Stewart has had a lot of creative input. Which was particularly disastrous for the last two TNG movies, and almost for First Contact if not for rest of that movie being done so well.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I have Amazon Prime, and I won't even do that, even if it turns out good. Simple reason that the approach of the leadership does not inspire me. Yeah, some people here love what they've done and think it shows potential, it's pretty good, and to each their own, but what strikes me is that they seem to act as if they don't wanna learn from past mistakes. That, or perhaps they just are really hamstrung by outside forces that have a lot riding on this cash cow, like how it's a platform to promote CBS All Access. At this point, without learning from the past mistakes of the franchise, it won't bode well, since smart sci-fi never prospers that way.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:49 pm I may have the title wrong but another interesting read us Ursula LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness where everyone is asexual until they need to mate. It is a very dated book imo as it looks at gender from the interpretation of 1969, but is ahead of its time in many other ways.
My take on it was that it managed to be sexist to both men and women at the same time. Probably never would have read it if I hadn't been assigned it for a class.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

The thing is, you don't see this backlash against right wing media being far more radical. Maybe it's because they appeal to our natural resistance to change while the left challenges it straight up.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Uh... Yeah you do. Like pretty much anything that caters to the right-wingers has all kinds of hate heaped on it by the mostly left-wing media and their very vocal supporters.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

But they have to go into being genuinely offensive to reach the level of hatred the mere concept of a liberal idea gets. It took depicting a real person who is now dead and was female trading sex for information to get people to rake "Richard Jewell" over the coals.

Remember, not one minute of Picard has streamed and people are already tearing it to shreds and declaring it the further death of Star Trek.