Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by Yukaphile »

While I don't think the media can be labeled as an extreme either way (even on MSNBC, they had shows from Republicans), I will utterly laugh at the idea the left wants any meaningful change. They in their own way subscribe to age-old myths that perpetuates victim-blaming, racism, and sexism. Plus white stigmatization. This is coming from a guy who actually believes in white privilege. They still adhere largely to an ideology of collective guilt. And that's too radical for me.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Al-1701 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:36 am But they have to go into being genuinely offensive to reach the level of hatred the mere concept of a liberal idea gets. It took depicting a real person who is now dead and was female trading sex for information to get people to rake "Richard Jewell" over the coals.

Remember, not one minute of Picard has streamed and people are already tearing it to shreds and declaring it the further death of Star Trek.
Not one minute of it has streamed... and I don't need it to because I have Stewart himself insulting TNG, saying that it will directly link to STD season 3, and saying that he has based this show on his negative views of Brexit and Trump.

Sometimes you really don't need to see something to know that you are not going to like it. And even if i did like it, it certainly wouldn't be as a Star Trek show, because Star Trek even at its lowest was Gene's Vision. This is not Gene's Vision - this is 2020 IN SPACE!!
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Al-1701 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:36 am But they have to go into being genuinely offensive to reach the level of hatred the mere concept of a liberal idea gets. It took depicting a real person who is now dead and was female trading sex for information to get people to rake "Richard Jewell" over the coals.

Remember, not one minute of Picard has streamed and people are already tearing it to shreds and declaring it the further death of Star Trek.
This is sad part of this internet outrage culture (besides of it being pathetic that is). Everything is hated before anyone has seen it or read it based on silly reasons like actor not agreeing with some world view that those loud idiots have. This is why I am againt idiocy like that. Because it's overreacting purely based on does some one famous agree with them or not.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Mecha82 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 pm

This is sad part of this internet outrage culture (besides of it being pathetic that is). Everything is hated before anyone has seen it or read it based on silly reasons like actor not agreeing with some world view that those loud idiots have. This is why I am againt idiocy like that. Because it's overreacting purely based on does some one famous agree with them or not.
Yeah that's a fun topic.

I remember it started with news you didn't expect to hear on the internet. Just came across it randomly. Then Apple had a website with new trailers around the turn of the century.

The thing though, is that as all this information has come out as a basis for common speculation and expectation, websites get into the middle of the circulation and amp up all the exposure to something coming out.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

This is just what I was afraid of... tying TNG to the new material...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 pm Sometimes you really don't need to see something to know that you are not going to like it. And even if i did like it, it certainly wouldn't be as a Star Trek show, because Star Trek even at its lowest was Gene's Vision. This is not Gene's Vision - this is 2020 IN SPACE!!
I’m also very curious how they’re going to pull off a whole galactic Federation going “isolationist” that contains hundreds, if not thousands of members of different species. A membership that was no doubt sold to them on the basis of openness, tolerance and many other xenophile measures.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 pm

And Patrick Stewart's own words regarding what the show is and is not. But sure, it's outrage culture. Another holier than thou hot take from Mecha.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Enterprising wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:41 pm I’m also very curious how they’re going to pull off a whole galactic Federation going “isolationist” that contains hundreds, if not thousands of members of different species. A membership that was no doubt sold to them on the basis of openness, tolerance and many other xenophile measures.
Probably because there is a shared identity of being part of the Federation, and things that affect the Federation as a whole affects them all more or less equally.

Again, I'm going on the basis the Dominion War shook the Federation psyche to its core. Their peaceful exploration brought a superpower to their doorstep. While the Federation as a whole did not fall, member worlds, MAJOR member worlds, were conquered. Worlds, peoples, and planets bear the scars of the conflict.

After such an event, it's natural to wonder if Q was right. They were expanding too quickly, going where they shouldn't. This was what happened to the United States in the wake of World War I. They saw the war as the result of the tangled web of alliances across Europe. So, they figured if they only concerned themselves with their own affairs, it would prevent conflict.

There's also a possibility something went wrong with the Cardassians which would also lead to a reservation about helping refugees.

Really, we need to see this series to judge it. Unlike Discovery, this is a new era with events leading up to it we've never been privy to and the future it leads into completely unknown.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

See, you could say that, sure. Are those in charge that competent to try it that way?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The big problem is this is too unknown. The old guard is gone, and I get the sense they haven't learned from past mistakes. There is no reason to handle a second prequel series even worse (at least at the start) than the last one if you have the experience of the last one. And as I'd said, I absolutely dread when the Cardassians and Dominion get their turn at badass decay. It happened to Q, the Borg, many more. It has to happen eventually. Especially since those in charge with their hamfisted views would treat them as an allegory for Fascism, which while a good idea, still will not treat them with RESPECT. Make them sophisticated, as had been done on DS9. I think that kind of talent is beyond them now. Especially intolerant leftists who can't grasp it's not tolerance for the views you agree with, it has to be for the views you disagree with.