JK Rowling Backlash

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
CmdrKing
Captain

Re: JK Rowling Backlash

Post by CmdrKing »

Nah, just ignoring the point to peddle eugenics, best as I can tell.

‘Cuz “lots of human traits are results of various hormonal signals being muddled and creating an end result that you won’t find just looking at the DNA, and the more stages in the process there are the more and more varied ways you’ll see this happen” is a pretty goddamned simple point, and yet it is deliberately missed in favor of calling all such variations mistakes that will end in death.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CmdrKing wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:39 pm Nah, just ignoring the point to peddle eugenics, best as I can tell.

‘Cuz “lots of human traits are results of various hormonal signals being muddled and creating an end result that you won’t find just looking at the DNA, and the more stages in the process there are the more and more varied ways you’ll see this happen” is a pretty goddamned simple point, and yet it is deliberately missed in favor of calling all such variations mistakes that will end in death.
Lots of human traits are a result of genes too. You seem to be just as beligerant as you think he is on this point.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yeah but King was insisting upon conditionality, not denying genes ability to influence.
..What mirror universe?
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

@BridgeConsoleMasher Assuming you share CmdrKing's viewpoint then yes, yes I did.

@CmdrKing Ah yes, the eugenics accusation, which together with accusations of sexism and/or racism are the favorite "counter argument" people that disagree with scientific discoveries like to use when there is no actual logical counter argument to be head.
Philip K. Dick wrote:Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

AlucardNoir wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:51 am @BridgeConsoleMasher Assuming you share CmdrKing's viewpoint then yes, yes I did.
I don't assume anything.
..What mirror universe?
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:16 pm
Lots of human traits are a result of genes too. You seem to be just as beligerant as you think he is on this point.
The starting point here was Alucard claiming intersex traits were purely genetic, thus with inherent infertility (and further implication of being inferior due to use of Darwinist language). Which is factually false, because of the actual mechanisms by which genes influence growth and the attendant possibility for other factors to come into play.

But surrounding that deliberate misunderstanding with a lecture on RNA encoding doesn’t change the fact that what that does is form proteins, but if other proteins get in there by whatever means, boom, non-genetic outcome.

But that would interrupt the dogmatic genes are destiny lecture I guess.

(All of which is off topic technically since we were originally on trans, not intersex, meaning that sociology, psychology, and other get to join the genetic and biochemical pool, but sometimes starting at “sex is not binary” helps with “gender is a fuck” conversations.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

CmdrKing wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:26 am
clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:16 pm
The starting point here was Alucard claiming intersex traits were purely genetic, thus with inherent infertility (and further implication of being inferior due to use of Darwinist language). Which is factually false, because of the actual mechanisms by which genes influence growth and the attendant possibility for other factors to come into play.

But surrounding that deliberate misunderstanding with a lecture on RNA encoding doesn’t change the fact that what that does is form proteins, but if other proteins get in there by whatever means, boom, non-genetic outcome.

But that would interrupt the dogmatic genes are destiny lecture I guess.

(All of which is off topic technically since we were originally on trans, not intersex, meaning that sociology, psychology, and other get to join the genetic and biochemical pool, but sometimes starting at “sex is not binary” helps with “gender is a fuck” conversations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_transsexuality

Completely off topic.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

AlucardNoir wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:06 am Completely off topic.
Then why it posted??
..What mirror universe?
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 am
AlucardNoir wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:06 am Completely off topic.
Then why it posted??
So you could have something to contribute to the conversation by asking that question?
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

“ The study found that one third of identical twin pairs in the sample were both transgender: 13 of 39 (33%) monozygotic or identical pairs of assigned males and 8 of 35 (22.8%) pairs of assigned females. Among dizygotic or genetically non-identical twin pairs, there was only 1 of 38 (2.6%) pairs where both twins were trans.[4]”

Shockingly, it turns out that the link you provided said... the thing the trans person said about it: genetics are an inadequate explanation of gender variance.