Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Al-1701
Officer

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by Al-1701 »

Enterprising wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:12 am
Mecha82 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:52 pm All signs based on trailers indicate that Picard takes place in prime timeline. Not in Kelvinverse. What is basis for this speculation that it might not take place in Prime time line? Also I find it strange that there are people that want something to fail before it's even out. I mean why not want something to be good and successful instead.
"Prime" IS the Kelvinverse, that's what I've been trying to say. Prime is the universe that's jumpstarts the 2009 movie, it's an attempted clever wordplay by those who re-booted Star Trek, as a means to try and fool classic Star Trek fans this is still "real" Star Trek, it isn't. Spock "Prime" is not the Spock we know and love from 1964 to 1991, it's the one from 2009 who launches the red matter thingy into the magic supernova that figured out how to destroy multiple solar systems.

Classic Star Trek is a universe where a supernova only destroys the solar system of its origin.
Actually, supernovas devastate nearby systems as well. If Sirius B went boom in a type 1A supernova, it would wipe out all life in the Sol system and everything within ten parsecs.

And while it would take years for the explosion to reach Romulus, evacuating an entire planet is not something that can be done overnight. It was going to take a Herculean effort to evacuate and restore Kronos with decades to do it. So, while evacuating, they also developed red matter in hopes of saving Romulus only they were not ready in time.

Here's hoping we get a better explanation of what exactly happened since the movie only glossed over it.

Really, the 25% difference rule is much easier to do going into the future. The actors and therefore the characters are older and look different. Ships, uniforms, and technology are going to look different. They should have just kept moving forward instead of trying to reboot the franchise.

And I pointed out the French Resistance because it was clearly the inspiration for the Bajoran Militia.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Can't wait to hear this dispute of canon resolved between the dedicated fans and the *checks notes* people that make Star Trek.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Simple. 2005 was the last year anyone with a connection to Roddenberry worked on the show. And canon only means the "official" continuation. So it's not part of the Gene/Berman era. You can easily dismiss it. That Romulan bird of prey is troubling to me... as is the use of the Borg... I do feel as if this is going to be bad. But who knows? We'll find out next Thursday. Nothing will ever convince me to buy CBS All Access, though.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:58 pm Can't wait to hear this dispute of canon resolved between the dedicated fans and the *checks notes* people that make Star Trek.
To fair only those fans that are into that actually care about that.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I am a continuity nitpicker! :D I've repeatedly professed to being a continuity fandom nerd.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I figured the birds of prey suggest just how far the Romulans have fallen. Or it's just one remote faction that only has access to ancient ships in mothballs. The Federation has been using Miranda and Excelsior-class ships for how long?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Granted, you could explain it easily, that it was pulled out of a museum. But then, will the writers explain that? I dunno... it would make sense in-universe, however, as you pointed out. If they pull something incredibly stupid like saying, however, that the Romulan Fleet was wiped out, I am going to be mad. Because I could easily see them saying the whole fleet was blown up by the supernova (that could apparently blow up a galaxy, somehow, but then that's the basis for the reboot verse - chucking "cold fusion" at your enemy, OMG...) rather than, logically, it was picked apart over the decades.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The idea if the potential crossover between DISCO and STP does have me worried, though. I mean, some have felt so alienated by DISCO's poor foundation it began upon, that to include it among the new material which might be great in its own right (let's wait and see) would in effect diminish that new material. Like shoving Hayden Christensen into Return of the Jedi. Now you can't pretend the prequels never happened.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Also, adding in DISCO elements just breaks the lore and continuity, since DISCO is compressed into a very short timespan (ten years prior to Kirk? - at least Enterprise had a century!), so that it's basically just a bunch of retcons shoved into what might be the more interesting Picard story. Bah.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Al-1701 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:44 pm I figured the birds of prey suggest just how far the Romulans have fallen. Or it's just one remote faction that only has access to ancient ships in mothballs. The Federation has been using Miranda and Excelsior-class ships for how long?
Both could be good explanations. Even in real world it's not rare for some nation's military have some older jet fighters or tanks.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard