DIS - Saints of Imperfection

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

DIS - Saints of Imperfection

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/c120.php
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: DIS - Saints of Imperfection

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I can't watch it a popup keep showing
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

I think this must be another host, but I'm also getting smacked with a dozen pop up warnings. I'm not sure it is worth clicking through them all for an episode of DIS.
Taurian Patriot
Officer

Post by Taurian Patriot »

Thank you Chuck, for IMMEDIATELY calling out that "Words define who we are" load.

It's a small thing, but the last couple weeks I've been spotting a weird number of people on the internet desperately arguing over irrelevant semantics like never before. The spat over whether 2020 is technically the start of a new decade or the end of a previous one is especially popular, but my personal favorite had to be someone responding to the term "unborn baby" with "A baby doesn't exist until after it's born. Science has proven it," (quoted verbatim) then clarifying that a "baby" thirty seconds after its birth is completely different from a "fetus" thirty seconds before birth because otherwise a dictionary wouldn't have separate words for them.

Yeah, I know many of these people are just trolling, but I also know many of them aren't. These are the kinds of arguments we all probably had in grade school, and not everyone grows out of them.

On a positive note, thanks for including Tilly's rant at May in the review. It's a nice reminder of why she's easily my favorite character despite the show's writing faults.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

An "unborn" baby is just a foetus. That kind of bright line definition is important, not just legal but also for protection of women's reproductive rights. The people that want to blur that specific line have a very specific agenda at work. And no, I will not debate you on that.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I guess the celebration works if you consider the last year specifically like a ceremony of graduation, which serves as a culminating moment turning into something else. Kinda like a butterfly from a cocoon if you will.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

"if you can't trust a product of experiment and torture who killed a member of your crew and is now a member of the Machiavellian deep state, what does trust even mean anymore?" :D
..What mirror universe?
Rodan56
Officer

Post by Rodan56 »

Glad the problems got worked out. Good episode. Well, Chuck's review anyway, the actual episode looks kinda mediocre.

You know it's kinda sad that Discovery is taking so long to actually get on its own two feet. Mainly because you can really see a lot of potential here and it's all falling flat so hard. At least Tilly is fun.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:57 am An "unborn" baby is just a foetus. That kind of bright line definition is important, not just legal but also for protection of women's reproductive rights. The people that want to blur that specific line have a very specific agenda at work. And no, I will not debate you on that.
Don't bring something up if you're not prepared to debate it.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:42 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:57 am An "unborn" baby is just a foetus. That kind of bright line definition is important, not just legal but also for protection of women's reproductive rights. The people that want to blur that specific line have a very specific agenda at work. And no, I will not debate you on that.
Don't bring something up if you're not prepared to debate it.
You know what's funny about that? CrypticMirror is a regular on TVTropes so I know that she knows exactly what flame bait is. And why it also just so happens to be banned over there.