Where is the logic in this?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Where is the logic in this?

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh no? The new stuff is too derivative of the past material, it's their compromise to try and unite both older and newer/younger fans. Problem here is that treating Legends as a parallel universe opens up lots of storytelling possibility that are fresh and NOT just respectful to the fans AND the source material they said doesn't exist, but also profitable. Sure, again, it won't put a dent into the popcorn audience, how much money normies make them, but they could genuinely put Legends content onto a Web series. Or newer books. That's honestly what most of them want, of those I've talked to. Books and comics, not even a TV series. Hell, FXitinPost is a fan of the newer content, but also nevertheless admits to these same kinda anxieties. Given the awesome work they did with SC 38, I can sense the kind of respect and tolerance of both sides, because they treat it as a parallel universe. That's how the fans approach this, so it's incredibly stupid for Lucasfilm not to, since it's a potential market. But they assume we're too stupid to separate Star Wars from Star Wars Legends. Even though the MCU has alternate universes. When you do that, it's insulting the intelligence of the audience.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Imagine if they did another Trek reboot and it started off from TNG, only grabbing elements from DS9, TOS, Voyager, and elsewhere into something that's a composite compromise like it is here? Do you sincerely think that would be received well?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:50 pm Imagine if they did another Trek reboot and it started off from TNG, only grabbing elements from DS9, TOS, Voyager, and elsewhere into something that's a composite compromise like it is here? Do you sincerely think that would be received well?
I'll tell you one thing, that if the writing is not good then no acting can make up for that.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:50 pm Imagine if they did another Trek reboot and it started off from TNG, only grabbing elements from DS9, TOS, Voyager, and elsewhere into something that's a composite compromise like it is here? Do you sincerely think that would be received well?
If it was a good movie or show. Fine.

I find people's love of continuity to be a hindrance, not a boon to genre fiction.

Deep Space 9 is one of my favorite shows. If they wiped it from continuity I would think it was a mistake, but I would not poo-poo the resulting product JUST because of that continuity, it would have to win/lose me based on its own merits.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Well DS9 is kind of an isolated incident while legends is more of a active medium.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Personally didn't have an issue with CGI Tarkin or Leia, they looked convincing enough to me. Maybe they came across differently on the big screen, I never saw the film at the cinema.

As for Solo, Han's earlier adventures just somehow never felt like something worth making a film about. A TV series, perhaps. And he just didn't feel like Han. Someone else has already pointed out that Lando worked very well and I agree, so IMO the devil was in the details rather than the concept.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:02 pm
I'll tell you one thing, that if the writing is not good then no acting can make up for that.
100% this. Also, Hayden Christensen didn't have a "muted" career because of Star Wars, he semi-retired from acting and opted for smaller and more character-based roles for when he did choose to go for a part. He’s a perfectly decent actor, and could have gone onwards and upwards, but I guess he feared being the next Jake Lloyd and thus scaled himself back a bit, quite an understandable stance to take given that.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Enterprising wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:20 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:02 pm
100% this. Also, Hayden Christensen didn't have a "muted" career because of Star Wars, he semi-retired from acting and opted for smaller and more character-based roles for when he did choose to go for a part. He’s a perfectly decent actor, and could have gone onwards and upwards, but I guess he feared being the next Jake Lloyd and thus scaled himself back a bit, quite an understandable stance to take given that.
I was only aware of Awake and Takers, the latter not being very memorable of a caper film by consensus. Awake was actually a pretty interesting movie, shame it wasn't as popular. Oh yeah and I liked Jumper.

btw was re: Christensen in response to something I said? Not sure what you're responding to there.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

It's the fact that Han Solo in Solo and Han Solo in ANH is the age gap is very small.

Whereas, Kenobi had sizable age gap that could make you believe Kenobi in the prequels could look like Kenobi in ANH.

I also think it's a character that people were really not that interested in seeing a prequel for.

You could also argue the reaction to The Last Jedi played into it. Or a real lack of advertising for it.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:01 am It's the fact that Han Solo in Solo and Han Solo in ANH is the age gap is very small.

Whereas, Kenobi had sizable age gap that could make you believe Kenobi in the prequels could look like Kenobi in ANH.

I also think it's a character that people were really not that interested in seeing a prequel for.

You could also argue the reaction to The Last Jedi played into it. Or a real lack of advertising for it.
I agree with this holistically. I think they could have had a good thing here, but it wasn't a sure bet.

As far as not wanting a prequel, I might just say that he's got a minimalism to his character that doesn't need exposing. Kinda like giving Michael Myers a tragic backstory. If they were going to make it work it would be in more heavily nuanced ways that are less obvious, and it'd probably work good for a show instead of a movie.