Movies you love that others hate?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Eishtmo
Officer

Re: Movies you love that others hate?

Post by Eishtmo »

Hudson Hawk. I find it just completely fun and awkward in a way that I don't see anywhere else.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Last Action Hero is a hilarious and proufoundly underrated parody of 80s-90s action movies.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

I agree about Mario Bros. and Judge Dredd.
J!! wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:46 am Last Action Hero is a hilarious and proufoundly underrated parody of 80s-90s action movies.
I think that's the reason why it's so disliked. People just wanted another action film and were puzzled at the criticism and satire in it.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh, so you like Super Mario Bros. too? I don't claim it's perfect, but damn it, I have a soft spot for it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Is American Beauty hated? I ask because it seems to have joined a list of early 2000 films that everyone loved then but is never talked about now.

The carrier bag in the wind scene is a bit daft, but I get what they were going for - even the ugliest things can be beautiful if you look at it the right way. It's a good lesson.

Garden State is another one. Don't know if it's hated but no one seems to love it any more either.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The reason I'd listed Dante's Peak is that the effects still hold up today. Not overblown CGI, but practical effects. And it was superior to Volcano, that's for sure. Plus, somewhat realistic science (it get a C grade from real geologists, which you almost never see from Hollywood), and proves once and for all that not even a damned fucking volcano can take out Sarah Connor and James Bond! ;)
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

This is much harder than I thought. It's much easier to hate movies people love. But love movies people hated?

Weird.
I got nothing to say here.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Another one that came to mind is Supernova with James Spader.

It's shallow show with a slashflick shoved into it, but the weird bits they added to the movie combined with the music and other stuff makes me like it more than I should.
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:46 pm Oh, so you like Super Mario Bros. too? I don't claim it's perfect, but damn it, I have a soft spot for it.
I found it's weird, dark style and distoptia thing oddly appealing, and I give credit to them for making such a bald face change from the games setting. It's just such a 180 of what you'd expect of SMB you cant help but appreciate the boldness to do that.

That plus it has that nice early 90s vibe to it that makes even the worst cheese of the period endearing to me even if it's not so bad it's good.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, I really wish there could have been a sequel. It's even fun watching others rail on it.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The Conan the Barbarian movie with Jason Mamoa. Nice campy thud-and-blunder fun.

I'd include Waterworld and The Thirteenth Warrior, but those are both in that weird category where they're famously bad because they lost a lot of money but nobody actually seems to dislike them.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.