Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Beastro
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by Beastro »

A supernova wiping out Romulus is one thing, but taking out the heart of the Star Empire is too much.

The way the TNG movies and 2009 Trek set things up, the Federation and the Empire were developing an rapprochement and easing tensions, but now with the Federation coming to their aid and failing, all because the mission was placed under the hands of a Vulcan who vanished, it could easily set the stage for a nice conflict to overarc a new Post-Dominion series.

I wished they'd limited it. I like the idea of the Romulans wounded and now full of vengeance allowing them to finally be the central antagonist for once instead of the Klingons or Cardassians.
Mecha82 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:20 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:44 pm I figured the birds of prey suggest just how far the Romulans have fallen. Or it's just one remote faction that only has access to ancient ships in mothballs. The Federation has been using Miranda and Excelsior-class ships for how long?
Both could be good explanations. Even in real world it's not rare for some nation's military have some older jet fighters or tanks.
It's the implicit assumption behind how the Russians store EVERYTHING.

It factored especially into the their plans for a nuclear exchange in that they looked upon WWIII as a long war as nations would rebuild after the initial exchange and race to regain nuclear weapons so as to fire a second salvo and keep everyone else from properly rebuilding. In that context, having even elderly T-34s in a world where working equipment is rare would be a Godsend.
Last edited by Beastro on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Romulans are my favorite.
..What mirror universe?
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 pm I’m also very curious how they’re going to pull off a whole galactic Federation going “isolationist” that contains hundreds, if not thousands of members of different species. A membership that was no doubt sold to them on the basis of openness, tolerance and many other xenophile measures.
Well, you just get a Hollywood Hate writer that is anti-Trump, and you can get:

The Federation makes a Space Wall to keep out the undocumented aliens(haha) and the round up all the undocumented workers in the Federation and put them on Detention Planets, and put the kids in cages.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

"Hollywood Hate writer"

I sthat how pro Trump people see writers in Hollywood who don't support him. Then again pro Trump people aren't smartest or even most mature people.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, tbf, we see early in the suck era of TNG, Season 1, that a supernova wiped out the Tkons. Just playing Devil's Advocate. Though Chuck likewise found that claim skeptical, lol.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I will say it again. The WORST thing STP could do is tie it into a crossover with DISCO, whether that's talking about it or indeed, showing them appearing on screen. And not just for the changes. Enterprise at least had the past TNG crew looking back to Enterprise, which was shaky enough as is, since it's tying the unwanted prequels to the more interesting stuff going on in the sequels. Prequels always are at a disadvantage, so I hope the writers are smart enough to see this. If anything, it seems Patrick Stewart is not... and if you don't like it, "Fuck you, you wife-beating alt-right troll! You're not one of us!" They really need to bring back Ron Moore. He always had his finger on the pulse of fandom.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:55 pm I will say it again. The WORST thing STP could do is tie it into a crossover with DISCO, whether that's talking about it or indeed, showing them appearing on screen. And not just for the changes. Enterprise at least had the past TNG crew looking back to Enterprise, which was shaky enough as is, since it's tying the unwanted prequels to the more interesting stuff going on in the sequels. Prequels always are at a disadvantage, so I hope the writers are smart enough to see this. If anything, it seems Patrick Stewart is not... and if you don't like it, "Fuck you, you wife-beating alt-right troll! You're not one of us!" They really need to bring back Ron Moore. He always had his finger on the pulse of fandom.
Ron Moore really dropped the ball with bsg though. No one liked that ending, the God stuff was unpopular, and Caprica was a dud.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Well, keep in mind it's Star Trek...so it might not be a normal Super Nova....

Maybe more like a :

Inverse tachyon anti-time field of energetic cascading chronatons that make the sun go super nova.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That'd be even worse.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 pm I’m also very curious how they’re going to pull off a whole galactic Federation going “isolationist” that contains hundreds, if not thousands of members of different species. A membership that was no doubt sold to them on the basis of openness, tolerance and many other xenophile measures.
The only isolationism I can see the Federation is cultural disenchantment with the triumphalist zeitgeist of the TOS to TNG era ending where the Federation was perfect and could do no wrong in their own eyes.

First Wolf 359, then the Dominion War threw those out and the Federation is kinda world weary but also not eager to be telling people others what to do. Effectively making the trouble with the Cardassian Neutral Zone and the Maquis the default position they've held since the end of the war (giving ground and avoiding conflict out of self-doubt and fear of another war).